SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2015, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by JonathanPM
United States, MS, Oxford
Joined Sep 2013
41 Posts
Discussion
Tarot 450 VS CopterX 450 BA DFC

I'm shopping for my first kit build. 450 is the size I want.
I've looked at CopterX 450 BA DFC and I like it very much.
However I'm thinking the Tarot 450 Pro is slightly better. I
just don't know which one to choose.
The Tarot are DFC right?

Also I'm curious how well a Tarot head and swash works on
the Walkera V450D03. Got one coming and thinking I may change
out the head one day. I don't like the extra parts on the D03 head VS
the DFC heads.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

JP
JonathanPM is offline Find More Posts by JonathanPM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2015, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by Lentar
Joined Oct 2012
1,003 Posts
I would say go for the Tarot kit. There are two versions, the kit with the fbl head and the one with the dfc head. I have the kit with the fbl head, which l upgraded to the split lock dfc head from Tarot. I avoided the BA because it is not 100% compatible with Align. With the Tarot you can use a variety of upgrade parts, like different heads, metal upgrades, the integrated shaft holder, thrust bearing tail, metal tail boom holder assembly and so on. You have a choice of cheap replacement parts readily available. The kit comes with a torque tube, which is fine, and can easily be converted to belt drive if you prefer that. All the Chinese manufacturers copy each others designs, so this 'call it a clone and then diss it' opinions are rubbish. Even Align has copied its 450L design from the VWinRC 450 T/S.
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Jan 10, 2015, 05:36 PM
Joined Sep 2013
41 Posts

Thank you for the input.
I forgot about the tail set-up. Yes I would prefer a belt drive VS TT.

There won't be any rush on my part to get the kit in the air ASAP.
I plan to slowly collect the necessary hardware to complete it while
reading through the many pages on the forums.
That way I can get ideas on what others are using.

The 450 size captures my interest in another way besides 3D.
My interest is growing into these nice scale fuselages available
these days.
Also I need to locate a 4 or 5 blade rotor head for the Tarot. A 3 blade would do
but I would like to build a MD500E fuselage to near scale.
Love the looks of that bird!

JP
Last edited by JonathanPM; Jan 10, 2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,670 Posts
Forza?

The Black Angel features a direct-drive tail, so in theory the transmission should be slightly more efficient than the Tarot, and it will certainly be a quieter heli.

Parts availability for the Tarot is better, however, and you have a choice of using clone parts or Align ones for most items.

If you're looking for a DFC heli, you can get a JR Forza, complete with motor and blades, for $150. Quality-wise, it's a big step up from Tarot. With the 15t pinion and 3500kv motor, however, you need to run it in governor mode to limit the headspeed, unless you're a fan of high HS and short flight times. Like the Black Angel, the Forza uses a direct-drive tail, but the one-way bearing is incorporated in the pinion, hence the relatively large pinion and maingear. Parts prices are higher than Tarot, but the Forza is a very simple and tough little heli with a 6mm mainshaft and 4mm tail shaft. It comes with high quality, precise bearings.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:58 AM
Joined Sep 2013
41 Posts
Jr

Over the years I've used many JR products. And they all have been good.
I gave the Forza a look, I like the build but the parts I would need later on kind of turned me off. Multi rotor head, wow!
Plus I'm still a new Pilot. If I stay in the Heli Hobby I would be better off
tearing up the cheaper choppers!
If I ever get good enough one day to do mild 3D then the Forza 450 would certainly be the next bird to buy. It is above Tarot for sure

Thanks for the input.

JP
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by Black_Angel
Joined Jan 2015
185 Posts
I was in same situation..choosing between Copterx 450 BA and tarot 450 pro. I ended up with BA, i find their belt solution great...its attached to main gear, so less gear, less friction and less noice.. Im building it now, and i find the quality great...

If you want rotor for more than 2 blades copterx already have it...check ehirobo.com

BA
Black_Angel is offline Find More Posts by Black_Angel
Last edited by Black_Angel; Jan 12, 2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 03:30 PM
Joined Sep 2013
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Angel View Post
I was in same situation..choosing between Copterx 450 BA and tarot 450 pro. I ended up with BA, i find their belt solution great...its attached to main gear, so less gear, less friction and less noice.. Im building it now, and i find the quality great...

If you want rotor for more than 2 blades copterx already have it...check ehirobo.com

BA
I noticed that there were multiple rotor blade heads available. I lost one web site
I thought I had saved here in the US that showed all of the Black Angels with the different heads as kits.

I want to use a Scale Fuselage in the near future (MD500E) and would really like at least a 3 blade head for it.

CopterX 450 BA over swapping the tail out for a belt on a Tarot 450! Tough decision to make. Oh well, I got time to decide and a V450D03 to practice with soon.

JP
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Wasp09
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,934 Posts
I went for the CopterX BA DFC. I liked its belt pully setup, something similar to my Skyartec 3V, X3V. I found them smoother than my Trex clones. I have many Trex clones, I want something different.

Head and tail on BA look solid, no slop. I'll test fly it when it gets warm enough.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,549 Posts
Anybody build the Copter-X 250? FBL version. Also what V-bar clone ot K-bar is best to get.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 21, 2015, 02:24 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,934 Posts
Easiest is actually X303V. One of my CopterX 250's is on X303V.

I had a TGZ-380 and now a yellow kbar (for vertical mounting and satellite) on the other CopterX 250 FBL.

It was not working too well as those standalone FBL system are really designed for bigger heli's. Then I put a 250 Tarot FBL head on it with extra long arms on the blade grips to meet the 6/8 degree setup criterion. It works better then but it is still not too exciting.

The 250 Tarot FBL head is very soft though. Its metal washout arms simply wrapped around the main shaft on a gentle tip over during landing. And the feathering shaft seems too long as well giving us a lot of slack.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by Hobee
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
The Black Angel features a direct-drive tail, so in theory the transmission should be slightly more efficient than the Tarot, and it will certainly be a quieter heli.

Parts availability for the Tarot is better, however, and you have a choice of using clone parts or Align ones for most items.

If you're looking for a DFC heli, you can get a JR Forza, complete with motor and blades, for $150. Quality-wise, it's a big step up from Tarot. With the 15t pinion and 3500kv motor, however, you need to run it in governor mode to limit the headspeed, unless you're a fan of high HS and short flight times. Like the Black Angel, the Forza uses a direct-drive tail, but the one-way bearing is incorporated in the pinion, hence the relatively large pinion and maingear. Parts prices are higher than Tarot, but the Forza is a very simple and tough little heli with a 6mm mainshaft and 4mm tail shaft. It comes with high quality, precise bearings.
Hi there, are you sure about the price of 150? Sounds great, but following the link I get prices >300 USD. Thanks

Tobias
Hobee is online now Find More Posts by Hobee
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:08 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,934 Posts
The sale is over.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
2,258 Posts
After weighing CopterX and Tarot like OP, I bought a Tarot 450 Pro V2 FBL (not DFC) for a scale build today. I'm going to die of old age before I pick servos for this Tarot 450. All I can find in "mid-range" servos is the $13 KDS N290 for $10 from BG and the $25 KDS N590 (coreless) on the tail. I need the "Honda Civic" or "Toyota Corolla" or other decent and reliable but not Rolls Royce servo.

Total = $55 for 3 + 1.

Other ideas?

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is online now Find More Posts by Florida Heli
Old Feb 10, 2015, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,670 Posts
The N290's are a bit low on torque. You'd be better off with Solar 654's, only $8:50 ea from Hobbypartz. The N590 looks like a 9257 clone, and I would avoid those at all costs. The KST115 from Aloft Hobbies costs the same but is quicker with more torque, tho it will need a mini- micro adaptor plate to fit the 450 Pro tail mount. I have that servo combination on one of my 450 Pros and it works great. Quicker shipping too, since they're both from US etailers. The Turnigy 306g is more or less the same as the KST115 for a tad less, but Hobbyking shipping is usually quite a bit slower.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Old Feb 10, 2015, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,549 Posts
I would buy from Aloft before H/K. H/K you might get wrong stuff. Buddie just went through nightmare buy motors/ esc's from them. Sent mix match sets.
Wrong esc's/ sent right ones lader and two were bad. His quad project took a long time to complete. Aloft you get what you order and fast. Good out it.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04