Old Jul 18, 2016, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by bdiii
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2016
4 Posts
Help!
Kyosho Fairwind 3421

Hi,

I found in my father's basement a Fairwind boat which looks like it is from 1987. There was major corrosion on the battery contacts on both the rc controller (8 AA batteries) and battery box (4 AA batteries) in the boat. I was able to clean up the rc controller enough for it to work. The battery box for the boat shattered. I was able to get a new 4 AA battery holder and splice the wires together. There were other components that I also had to secure in the boat.

On first attempt the boat did work and sailed nicely.

For future use, I am wondering what I should do for batteries. Should I just get a pile of AA rechargeable batteries or are their some new technologies I should look into? I was wondering if there is some other rechargeable battery pack that I could be putting in the boat.

For the RC controller, I assume that rechargeable are the only way to go. The RC controller is a Futaba Attack III FP-2v with R112JE. Is there some other RC controller that I should look at and would have a better battery option.

Thanks,
bdiii is offline Find More Posts by bdiii
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2016, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by bbbp
a.k.a. Bob Parks
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jun 2008
3,120 Posts
If you are going to stick with that radio, NiMh batteries are easy to find and easily re-chargable with a NiCad charger. Walmart had a pack of 4 high capacity (2700 or 2900 mah - cant remember exactly which) for about $10.00

Get the highest milliamp capacity you can find in a AA cell, they will last longer between charges. Since they ar 1.2 nominal voltage, use 5 cells instead of 4 for the boat. The transmitter will run on the 8 cells just fine.

A better, more modern radio would be a 2.4 system. Popular with sailboats is the DX6i and some of the FrSky systems. There is a recent thread on what radio to get for sailboats.

https://radiosailing.net/collections...ng-accessories
has this Flysky available.
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jul 18, 2016, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
4,392 Posts
Bdiii,
What part of the country are you in?
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 18, 2016, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by bdiii
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2016
4 Posts
Massachusetts.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 06:54 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
4,392 Posts
bdiii,
Welcome to the forum!
Massachusetts, great. You can add that info to your page so folks here known where you are. Often that helps members make suggestions on places to find help or parts etc.
Also to sailing clubs in your area .
It's easy to post pictures here. Pictures can help explain a problem as well share you boat with orhers.
Be nice to see some pictures of your classic Fairwind. There are a number of discussions on Fairwinds on this forum. You can learn how to use the search feature to help you find them.
Boomer

Here are a few links for you to check out:
Construction guide
http://www.sailbakersfield.com/uploa...for_racing.pdf

Build thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?
t=2324769&highlight=fairwind&page=3

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=fairwind

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...airwind&page=7

Fairwind lll lots of cool customization ideas
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...irwind&page=16
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 18, 2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by bdiii
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2016
4 Posts
Thanks all for the information. I bought some Energizer Recharge Power Plus AA 2300 mAh Rechargeable Batteries. I will try them out this weekend and I will try to post some pictures.

So the world has moved away from 75 mhz range which is what my receiver is on to 2.4 mhz. Is that correct? On my system it is on channel 80 and it looks like I require additional parts to be on a different channel. So if I am every where other boats are do I have to worry if we are on the same channel? With 2.4mhz is the problem of being on the same channel rectified or is it still an issue?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 05:42 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
4,392 Posts
With the 2.4 set ups there are no worries about channels or for that matter range.

These newer transmitters are really amazing. You can be a decent radio/transmitter and matching receiver for under $75.

Worth a few bucks to get up to current technology. Here's a link to a very nice set up for $65.00
https://radiosailing.net/collections...-ia6b-receiver
Boomer
Old Jul 19, 2016, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by bdiii
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2016
4 Posts
When I looked online, it seemed like transmitter / receiver combination would run more than that.

On the other hand if everyone is on 2.4 then I should probably not have a problem on 75 mhz
Old Jul 19, 2016, 06:14 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
4,392 Posts
True enough. Just sayin the new tech has benefits.
You call.
Boomer
Old Jul 19, 2016, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by bbbp
a.k.a. Bob Parks
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jun 2008
3,120 Posts
Just don't poke someones eye out with the long antennae!
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jul 20, 2016, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by boater_dave
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,500 Posts
LiFe batteries work very well in the boat. The boat battery is really just an oversized receiver pack. You can buy LiFe packs in many different sizes/capacities with the proper lead on them. Although they do require a charger made for LiFe, they are nice because they stay charged for a long time and they plug directly into the receiver without a regulator (common for LiPo). Just another option.
I will also say that if you are already set up for rechargeable AA's, keep with it. Even if using just 4 in the boat. Less power than 5, but if your not racing maybe it's enough.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jul 21, 2016, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by BillKuhn
Perfect Storm
United States, CT, New Hartford
Joined Mar 2016
584 Posts
Boomer the radio above you mentioned. On the left stick. Can you take the springs out? As so the stick will not come back to center if you let it go?? That's the only reason I have not looked into new ones. I got one and can't remove the gimbal springs. So I have to keep the sail stick on my think at all times. I hate that. Lmk thanks Bill
BillKuhn is online now Find More Posts by BillKuhn
Old Jul 21, 2016, 09:03 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
4,392 Posts
Bill,
Suggest you direct your question to Chuck at Radio Sailing
214 284 7164 .
Pretty sure he"ll be able to help you.
Boomer