Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old May 02, 2016, 01:58 AM
Find More Posts by edholly
Joined Nov 2013
266 Posts
Discussion
Paul MacCready - Gossamer Wings - Gossamer Albatross

Who remembers this ?

Is it the biggest model aircraft of them all ... ?

An incredible story of an amazing man.

Might take a few seconds to load as 2.6Mb and the text just fits in the width of the page, well almost.
edholly is offline Find More Posts by edholly
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2016, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by splash1
Joined Apr 2016
8 Posts
I remember the Gossamer Condor!

Nice to see the nostalgic article on the Albatross! I lived just a few miles from Minter Field in Shafter, California as a youngster. After seeing your post on the Albatross, I looked up the Gossamer Condor (had not thought about it in years) which was first flown in Mojave and then at Minter Field in Shafter. Wikipedia references two versions of the Condor, one designated Mojave version, and the other designated as the Shafter version.

I clearly remember those days! They were remarkable accomplishments way back then. I am working on a new website that will include Kern County's historical contributions to experimental aircraft, including Edwards AFB, NASA, the Rutan brothers, etc. I would be happy to send you to the link when I get the site up and running, hopefully a few months from now. Thanks for the memories!
splash1 is offline Find More Posts by splash1