Hey, guys.

I just picked up the Estes RCBG "kit." The epoxy is curing on the
wings as I type. I did see, though, that this is not considered a
good high performance bird. So well.

I read that some builders had the elevator lock in a bad position on
boost, causing a terran terminus abruptus landing of the "one point"
variety. These types of landings rarely turn out well. I am
wondering about a couple of mods to the printed instructions:

Instead of HS-81s use a JR 331 on the elevator (more torque)
and 2 micro servos on the ailerons.
The 2 servos would allow differential,a "sort of" camber, and all
that fun.

A bell crank at the back, with a rod from the bell to the elevator.

Anyone who flew this, what R/C components did you use, and what would
you suggest. I'm planing on a Castle/Berg 4L for the Rx.

Any thoughts? I know the ailerons are small, so I can't get a full
camber effect, but perhaps flaperons or spoilerons will help. Perhaps
snap flaps?
Rusty P is offline Find More Posts by Rusty P
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2006, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by The Tellurian
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
1,053 Posts
What George said.
Yes I'm on that list too. I would put the elevator servo out on the wing and use a bell crank or better a length of Golden Rod cable, but attached to a modified horn so that the attachment was in front of the hinge line. That way the servo pulling would be up elevator. It is a balsa crunchie and crashes into lots of pieces so I would not put too much effort into it. Just fly,enjoy,and pick up all the pieces.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Jul 22, 2006, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by Thomas B
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
15,173 Posts
The elevator flex rod on the stock Centurian/Stratoblaster was never a good design. I hate to have flex rods make three different 120 degree curves in two different axis.

I flew fly my old Stratoblaster with Aerotech 24 MM E and F motors for 50-60 flights (same design from Estes, but a kit and not an arf, from the early 1990's) and I never had any problems with the stock flex cable and stock servo setup for the elevator. I did tin the cable with solder to keep it from flexing in unsupported areas outside of the tube....this is very important.

I have a VERY fast Centurian that I converted to electric R/C with a Mega bushless motor and Lipos. I put the elevator servo (HS-55) in the wing so it has a straight run to the boom and the only curve is the one up the fudder the the elevator control horn. It gives no trouble in screaming dives that match the speed of a rocket launch.

I also added another HS-55 in the other wing paanel and have it controlling the rudder on one side.

I also reduced the vertical tail area a little...Estes has it over-stable for the inexperienced flyer....plus, I think it looks better with the restyled vertical tail.

I did an extensive electric conversion article on the Centurian that was published on Ezone. It details a lot of my changes:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457739
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 13, 2006, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by CraigBos
Joined Jan 2006
40 Posts
Another T-25 maiden

Maidened my T-25 today. Flew great on E15s! The D11 was way too little impulse.

All up weight with an expended motor is 15.5 oz.

I ditched the stock "push on a rope to raise the nose" elevator cable and replaced it with an .025 wire. There is a little hysteresis as mentioned elsewhere, but pitchovers, loops and split S maneuvers are great. And it settles in on a nice flight path on final approach.

All in all it's a lot of fun.

More images here: Picasa Web Album
CraigBos is offline Find More Posts by CraigBos
Old May 23, 2016, 08:30 AM
Find More Posts by FIXR7
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Hi folks,
I'm interested in buying one of these kits; either a T25 or a Sweet Vee. I realise they're hard to find so, is it possible to get a copy of the plans from one of you guy's so I can build my own?
Cheers.
FIXR7 is offline Find More Posts by FIXR7
Old Jun 02, 2016, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Joined Aug 2007
486 Posts
Quote:
I'm interested in buying one of these kits; either a T25 or a Sweet Vee. I realise they're hard to find so, is it possible to get a copy of the plans from one of you guy's so I can build my own?
The Stratoblaster, T-25 and Sweet Vee all used a plastic fuselage, so no plans for that. Here’s a one from RCM that was developed into an Estes kit.

X30
X30PILOT is offline Find More Posts by X30PILOT
Old Jun 05, 2016, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by FIXR7
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT View Post
The Stratoblaster, T-25 and Sweet Vee all used a plastic fuselage, so no plans for that. Here’s a one from RCM that was developed into an Estes kit.

X30
Thanks X30PILOT!
Unfortunately I already have that kit. It has the glide ratio of a brick.
I could always make the plastic parts out of fibreglass for the stratoblaster or T25.
FIXR7 is offline Find More Posts by FIXR7
Old Jun 06, 2016, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by crawf56
"Ain't no Fortunate Son..."
United States, AR, Paragould
Joined Dec 2015
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXR7 View Post
Hi folks,
Cheers.
Another option might be to find a Flying Wing of similar dimensions, and add similar structures as the T25.

I have a T-25 that I have flown for years. Sadly, it is in parts right now due to an elevator failure. (I agree with previous posts: the cable design was not good.) The wing was very strong, and even in my recent crash, the wing is relatively unharmed.

I was wondering if a better fix to the elevator issues is to simply remove the elevator (leaving the rest of the stabilizer & twin boom structure for launch stability), and use the ailerons in a manner similar to a delta wing or flying wing.
crawf56 is offline Find More Posts by crawf56
Old Jun 14, 2016, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
743 Posts
E motors have been tough to get here thanks to 9-11. After a pad fire I modded mine with a pusher electric and moved the elevator down to be in the prop wash. It's a nice little park flyer now.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer