New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2016, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by Turbinetester
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Apr 2011
145 Posts
Discussion
Dominator v2 DVR Problem

BLUF: I think my Dominator v2s have a bad DVR which doesn't record the video properly, and the DVR has corrupted or damaged my SD Card

Two days ago my Dominator v2 stopped recording the OSD portion of the video feed. When viewing live in flight through the goggles all is normal. I am still able to see the OSD and the video takes up the full screen. However, during playback on the goggles there was no OSD present in the video. When I removed the SD card from the goggles and took it to my computer to transfer the files and upload a video there was still no OSD present in the video files, however, there was also a band of corrupted video at the bottom of each file which appeared to be a portion of a single frame (or multiple frames alternating) of previously recorded video just "stuck" on the bottom of all the recent videos. Here is a link to a video that shows the problem:

Short FPV Flight to attempt to capture poor video quality of 5.8GHz (4 min 10 sec)

I have recorded a total of 5 videos with the goggles using the same memory card and system components. I reviewed all five of my recordings, including the one i uploaded to Youtube in the link above. The very first video i ever recorded exhibits the band of spurious video along the bottom of the screen, but still records the OSD. The next two videos have the correct video and correct OSD information and appear perfectly normal. The two videos from 3 days ago have both the spurious video band, and are missing the OSD information.

I erased and formatted the card in the goggles, recorded several new test videos and watched them through the goggles. All of them still failed to record the OSD information. I then brought the micro SD card to my pc to see if the spurious video band was still attached to the bottom of the videos, but now windows can't even read the card.

I saw one post in another forum where i guy got a "Please do ti properly" email from FatShark about making sure the goggles were fully powered off before removing the SD card or it or it could damage the SD Card. I echo his frustration because that is not mentioned any where on any documentation from FatShark. However, i know that flash memory cards can be tricky in this regard as i nearly lost ALL of the pictures form my daughters first Christmas when i did Something similar so i'm usually very careful to power off a device before removing a card. I don't think I have ever pulled the card out while the goggles were on, and in fact the card has only ever been out of the goggles twice. Once Monday and once today.

I tried formatting the MicroSD card in Windows and now it won't even format. I've downloaded a program called ZAR to attempt to recover the card itself, and it is running as i type this but will probably need to run during the day while i'm at work as it appears it will take most of the morning... I could care less about the video on the card, but i'm hoping ZAR has some type of deep level format that can repair whatever damage has been done to the card. Bottom line, it appears that my Dominators have dmaged or corrupted my SD Card.

I've sent a message to FatShark Support, but i thought i would ask here to see if any of you have suggestions for what i could try.

Are you aware of any programs that can recover/format a corrupted MicroSD card that windows fails to format?

Is there something i did wrong with my goggles or some setting that is enabled which causes the goggles NOT to record the OSD?
Turbinetester is offline Find More Posts by Turbinetester
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2016, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by cantremember
Joined Jun 2014
653 Posts
It is possible the card itself is worn and fails to write properly. That could in part explain a freeze frame being mysteriously in the video, and the card not being readable or formattable anymore.
Doesn't explain the OSD missing though but I'd start with trying with a new SD card.

I've have had similar strange things happen with dead SD cards. You plug it in and could see footage of it. You could delete the videos, and even format the card, Windows would say it's done. But as soon as you took it out and plugged it into another computers the files were back on it and using it in devices none of them gave any errors, they all said they were recording happily along.
cantremember is offline Find More Posts by cantremember
Old Apr 06, 2016, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by Made in Austria
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2013
1,898 Posts
That's a relativly common problem with the V2. It goes away if you turn on the video transmitter first and then the goggles. It has something to do with the auto detection of PAL and NTSC in the goggles. There is a DVR update available which is supposed to fix this, but it didn't work for me and many others.
Made in Austria is offline Find More Posts by Made in Austria
Last edited by Made in Austria; Apr 06, 2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2016, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
145 Posts
I tried turning on the vtx first in my most recent round of tests, but that didn't fix the problem if the missing OSD in the goggle playback. Of course by that time the dvr may have fried the sd card. Still trying to recover that card...should know in the morning if it was able to successfully complete a full(not quick) format in Windows. So I suppose I'm going to try to get that card to work. If it doesn't I'll try another 32gb card I found in my desk (it's only a class 4 card the one that's potentially fried is class 10, will I miss the write speed?). If the found card doesn't work I'll go to Wal-Mart and get another 32gb fresh from SanDisk and see if that fixes it, they are less $10.
Old Apr 06, 2016, 09:59 PM
Joined Apr 2011
145 Posts
Ok, i was able to successfully complete a long FORMAT operation in the windows Disk Management app. I then took the card to the goggles, and with the goggles off, inserted the card. I powered on the QUAD and vTx first, then the goggles and could again, see the OSD in the goggles. I enabled the DVR, then started recording. I manually moved the quad around in the air to make sure the OSD was actually functioning, then set the quad down and stopped the recording. I played the file back in the goggles and as before the video plays just fine, but the OSD is not visible. I powered off the goggles and removed the ssd card. I out it in the sd card adapter, put the adapter in the card reader, and then plugged the card reader into the USB cable. The card was correctly recognized in windows and showed up as drive letter D. I was able to navigate to the folder on the SD card named DCIM then 100DSCIM and play the video file named PICT0001.avi

There was no weird band of spurious video at the bottom of the video this time! Yay...however, I still have the problem of not being able to view the OSD in the recording. What do i try next? Is my memory card still somehow suspect?
Old Apr 07, 2016, 02:22 AM
Find More Posts by cantremember
Joined Jun 2014
653 Posts
The OSD ¨issing on the recording is very curious, I don't understand what could cause that, but I think the FatShark somehow.
cantremember is offline Find More Posts by cantremember
Old Apr 07, 2016, 06:29 AM
Joined Apr 2011
145 Posts
Morning Update:

Additionally, I put the original class 10 SanDisk sd card back in the googles (while they were powered off) turned on the quad and vtx, waited 10 seconds, then turned on the goggles, then armed the quad. I then started the DVR, recorded 15 seconds of video with the OSD visible in the goggles. I stopped the recording, turn of the Vrx in the goggles, turned on the playback feature, played back the video and there was no OSD present in the video. I then formatted the card in the goggles. I then repeated that initialization and recording process, and yet there was still no OSD on the recording in the goggles. I then repeated the entire process of recording the video twice (once with windows formatted card and once with goggle formatted card) with a different SanDisk 32GB Class 4 sd card. Still no OSD recorded, even though it's visible in the goggles during live view.

I am communicating with FatShark support but they haven't found a solution yet either.
Old Apr 07, 2016, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
32,864 Posts
What specific OSD is it?
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Apr 07, 2016, 01:40 PM
Joined Apr 2011
145 Posts
MinimOSD from multi rotor mania, and it's been viewed on recordings on this same setup before
Old Apr 12, 2016, 07:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
145 Posts
This is the longest response i've had from Fatshark yet, and it's not very helpful:

"Its impossible for the DVR to remove the OSD as the OSD text has already been overlaid into the analog video and is just part of the analog signal.
Are you sure it's not just cropping the OSD text? Are you using small OSD font near the bottom or top of the image?
The link to your posted video shows that the format is different between the camera and the DVR on startup (start the camera and TX first to avoid the split screen). I would also recommend upgrading the DVR for $30 as the latest DVRs can change between PAL and NTSC mode on the fly (no more split screen ever) and has super cap backup to write the file should the battery be removed as well as audio beeps on start and stop."

So the solution i'm being offered is to simply send the goggles in for an upgrade. Is there some way that the PAL/NTSC is getting garbled between the camera/PSD/Vtx/Vrx/Goggles that could result in the issue i'm seeing?
Old May 01, 2016, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by fmimages
Joe 6-pack
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
727 Posts
My problem is different. It's been to support twice and now I'm on my third correspondence to Fat Shark. I'm having issues with receiving a signal period. The playback and format part is also a little funky too.When it works I've had no issues with the video files nor OSD from my Phantom 2. I have two modules for 5.8Ghz and I know the seating can be a little loose but when the cover is on I think it gives a tight fit. I use SDFormatter to format these little cards. I have a monitor to check my signal from the VTX which also gives me the frequency. I'm just getting into FPV so I don't use it that often. I had to jiggle the RX switch a couple of times to see a signal and toggle up and down to see a signal but now I just get a blank screen. I think for the money I paid it should work better. I'm now waiting for a response from Fat Shark.
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
Old May 01, 2016, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by fmimages
Joe 6-pack
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinetester View Post
BLUF: I think my Dominator v2s have a bad DVR which doesn't record the video properly, and the DVR has corrupted or damaged my SD Card

Two days ago my Dominator v2 stopped recording the OSD portion of the video feed. When viewing live in flight through the goggles all is normal. I am still able to see the OSD and the video takes up the full screen. However, during playback on the goggles there was no OSD present in the video. When I removed the SD card from the goggles and took it to my computer to transfer the files and upload a video there was still no OSD present in the video files, however, there was also a band of corrupted video at the bottom of each file which appeared to be a portion of a single frame (or multiple frames alternating) of previously recorded video just "stuck" on the bottom of all the recent videos. Here is a link to a video that shows the problem:

https://youtu.be/5Ia-4W5D47A

I have recorded a total of 5 videos with the goggles using the same memory card and system components. I reviewed all five of my recordings, including the one i uploaded to Youtube in the link above. The very first video i ever recorded exhibits the band of spurious video along the bottom of the screen, but still records the OSD. The next two videos have the correct video and correct OSD information and appear perfectly normal. The two videos from 3 days ago have both the spurious video band, and are missing the OSD information.

I erased and formatted the card in the goggles, recorded several new test videos and watched them through the goggles. All of them still failed to record the OSD information. I then brought the micro SD card to my pc to see if the spurious video band was still attached to the bottom of the videos, but now windows can't even read the card.

I saw one post in another forum where i guy got a "Please do ti properly" email from FatShark about making sure the goggles were fully powered off before removing the SD card or it or it could damage the SD Card. I echo his frustration because that is not mentioned any where on any documentation from FatShark. However, i know that flash memory cards can be tricky in this regard as i nearly lost ALL of the pictures form my daughters first Christmas when i did Something similar so i'm usually very careful to power off a device before removing a card. I don't think I have ever pulled the card out while the goggles were on, and in fact the card has only ever been out of the goggles twice. Once Monday and once today.

I tried formatting the MicroSD card in Windows and now it won't even format. I've downloaded a program called ZAR to attempt to recover the card itself, and it is running as i type this but will probably need to run during the day while i'm at work as it appears it will take most of the morning... I could care less about the video on the card, but i'm hoping ZAR has some type of deep level format that can repair whatever damage has been done to the card. Bottom line, it appears that my Dominators have dmaged or corrupted my SD Card.

I've sent a message to FatShark Support, but i thought i would ask here to see if any of you have suggestions for what i could try.

Are you aware of any programs that can recover/format a corrupted MicroSD card that windows fails to format?

Is there something i did wrong with my goggles or some setting that is enabled which causes the goggles NOT to record the OSD?
That flickering comes from a bad connection in the VTX. Every time I get that I re check my connectors from the camera to the VTX. Every time I reseat the signal comes in clean.
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
Old Jun 19, 2016, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by rewen
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined Jan 2015
284 Posts
I've just run into the same issue. It's crazy that somehow the OSD is not in the video. Maybe the OSD is only burned into every other frame or something, and the FatSharks are recording the frames without? I don't get it.

I have a lot enabled on my OSD (MWOSD) including stuff in the center, yet it doesn't show.
rewen is offline Find More Posts by rewen
Old Jul 23, 2016, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by diehertz
Joined Nov 2015
6 Posts
I have just recorded a flight and at the very end of the video I realized that there is no OSD :-)
I'm using RunCam Sky, which I think is to blame, because it's not very good at cooperating with the MAX7456-based OSDs.
The OSD is dim and flickering, I suppose your guess about it being overlaid not every frame is true.
diehertz is offline Find More Posts by diehertz
Old Jul 23, 2016, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
32,864 Posts
I don't think it's solely a matter of not all frames being displayed/recorded though. I've
done latency tests of various fatshark goggles (filming the displays with another camera
at high speed) and it definitely displays every single frame. It also records every frame (easy
enough to verify in any video editor).

A NTSC/PAL mismatch (a known issue with older DVR if you power up
goggles before VTX) could definitely cut off a lot of OSD text, although something
displayed in the center should still show up. Although.. PAL is 25fps and NTSC is 29.97
so no telling what happens if the OSD doesn't write to every frame (would think you'd
see that is pretty ugly flickering though).
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon