Old Mar 31, 2016, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by grant31781
Joined Jun 2003
752 Posts
Discussion
New Gyro design in crud test phase

So the gyro bug bit me again. Its been a few years since I had a gyro. I missed the excitement of getting one to fly. I wanted a tractor design this time vs the pusher. This is a new gyro I am working on in the crude stages! This on has a teetering rotor with side tilt. I am using the stab elevator for pitch. The fuselage is from an old bluecore low wing plane I retired. See the spar slot cutout. Also some patched where the fuse broke in half during testing!

So why is the motor on the mast? Well this gyro is tail heavy configured with the motor out front and still tail heavy as is with the 1300 3s taped on the nose. The higher thrustline allows it to fly. It does want to pitch up but not too bad. I made 5 successful hand launches and circuits to the left and right so it does work! It needs a lot of refining to make me happy. This is more or less the test bed fuselage. The mast is recycled from 3 different gyro attempts with flat plate airfoils. Motor is a powerup zoom 400 pulls right at 30 amps WOT with the 6x4. Yes the motor is far from ideal. Blades are some old beat up aerobalsa 2 3/8 chord 18 inch blades. The covering is all wrinkled. They work well even in the poor condition.

I did manage to get a teetering pusher design to fly with the same head and full DC control however the performance was dismal. I also tired a 3 blade flapping head on a layout very similar to the one pictured. It barely flew with a 25 inch rotor. In the turn it spiraled in and broke the fuse beyond repair. Flat blades would be also due to easy of construction however they do not work well at this size. I am going to hot wire cut some better ones.
grant31781 is offline Find More Posts by grant31781
to remove ads between posts