Old Mar 06, 2016, 03:59 AM
Find More Posts by TLHover
DLG Bug Bit Me
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
549 Posts
Discussion
DLG in Australia

For those that are interested this competition was on over the weekend.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2475302

Just out of interest, who here in Australia is into dlg flying.
I'm not just talking about a competitive flying but sport flying as well.

What obstacles do you see in the way? Expense, learning, etc.

What are people's thoughts. There just doesn't seem to be a huge following here.
TLHover is offline Find More Posts by TLHover
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2016, 05:22 AM
Find More Posts by vanders
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2003
361 Posts
Just kicking off myself and it's a long and hard path when there's nobody to get practical advice from on the day. So I'd say the learning process for me but I'm loving it so I'll persist.

Cost is also a factor especially when learning, these high tech gliders aren't exactly cheap or robust. I just hope I can become as competent flyer as I have a repairer.
vanders is online now Find More Posts by vanders
Old Mar 11, 2016, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by _AL_
Slow builder
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
2,181 Posts
I used to fly HLG in the days before DLG. I still have my Global Whippit which needs a wing repair but will fly again one day.

I recently bought one of those cheapy HK 950mm DLGs & fly it a bit when the wind is not too strong. It's carp but good fun for a while. There are a couple of guys who fly DLG at my local club occasionally but not on a regular basis.

The main downside to DLG is the cost. With the broken AUD & shipping from US or Europe a decent quality 60" model starts at $500 just for an airframe & can easily pass the $1k mark.
Add RX & Servos & you're into some big money. If I was going to spend that sort of money I'd be going for a 3m Pulsar or a big composite ship.

Horses for courses I know but the cost/fun ratio is a bit high for me.

Al
_AL_ is online now Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Mar 12, 2016, 05:12 AM
Find More Posts by Jesse Soric
Toowoomba, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
47 Posts
I used to fly dlg a bit but have had an extended break from rc models. Just trying to get back into flying dlg models again now. I have a few planes to fly but they are either low price models or ones that I build myself. Flying with vanders tomorrow near Ipswich Qld. Looking forward to it.
If you have any skills in composites it is definitely worth trying to build models yourself, in particular wings and tails. Check out the Zone Clone thread by Tom Siler. With the information on rcgroups a dedicated builder could start with no skills and still produce decent models. Components such as fuselages can be purchased separately from many manufacturers. Doing this will help to reduce costs significantly.
It is a shame there are not more dlg model flyers out there. There is and initial cost but once you have one you only need a bit of space to fly. Running costs are very low and fun is high.
Jesse
Jesse Soric is online now Find More Posts by Jesse Soric
Old Mar 12, 2016, 05:18 AM
Find More Posts by minirotor
QLD Australia
Joined Oct 2009
639 Posts
Costs verses fun here in Oz is a big problem to get a good DLG glider.
Poor dollar and High freight costs.

I think most of our run of the mill modelers also are not in the mood/condition to DLG launch these gliders regularly[opps-are we more unfit here in Oz---NO not really]
But we do have more older people RC flying who want to see model flying as a relaxing sport,and struggleing in a thermal low down is not high on the list.
[Ex, myself--I use a small bungy to launch my Libelle to 40m+]
But the Libelle mostly gets used for ridge soaring[more fun-less stress]

The burning hot sun in summer here is offputting as well.

I'am not into competition flying though--just fun fly gatherings of all types of model RC[2.4Ghz has made fun fly-ins easy now]

M
minirotor is online now Find More Posts by minirotor
Last edited by minirotor; Mar 12, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 05:41 AM
Toowoomba, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
47 Posts
M I agree with you I'm afraid. The cost of a decent model is what turned me to building my own. If I flew competitions and had the expendable income I'd be spoiled for choice when choosing a model. Our dollar does not help either. If on a budget Hobbyking is about it or get lucky and buy second hand. Using a bungee is a great idea and still allows flying in relatively small fields and does not require any real fitness. Win, win. I still get a huge buzz finding and flying in thermals so flat field flying still does it for me. The sun and heat is a pain but morning and evening dlg flying is the best anyway.
Jesse
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by glidesailrc
wyong, NSW, Aust
Joined Apr 2005
593 Posts
I have been flying DGL's since that came about started with some early built up ones which blew apart quite often (you can launch a fuse a long way without its wing).

I spent nealy $1000 back in the early 2000 for a cnc vac bad model called a Raven and am still flying it so I would say that is value for money. I never fly comps as want to work thermals not leave them to crash on time.

I don't find the sun a pain as fly in the mornings on the 1st thermals of the day as find them much more fun to work.

Arie
glidesailrc is online now Find More Posts by glidesailrc
Old Mar 13, 2016, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by minirotor
QLD Australia
Joined Oct 2009
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidesailrc View Post
I have been flying DGL's since that came about started with some early built up ones which blew apart quite often (you can launch a fuse a long way without its wing).

I spent nealy $1000 back in the early 2000 for a cnc vac bad model called a Raven and am still flying it so I would say that is value for money. I never fly comps as want to work thermals not leave them to crash on time.

I don't find the sun a pain as fly in the mornings on the 1st thermals of the day as find them much more fun to work.
Arie
Yeah I flew a mates Snipe once[he wont let me near it much-carn't understand why!!!] and its amazing how stable it is at slow flight and it just hangs in the air like a feather[even when there appears to be no lift]
But as I only DLG once in a blue moon its hard to justify that amount of money.

M
minirotor is online now Find More Posts by minirotor
Old Mar 14, 2016, 04:58 AM
Find More Posts by ZIPPER
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
6,014 Posts
Ive tried a couple of times to get parts like a fuse pod from the states to build my own frankinDLG and most guys wont send them to OZ, some wont even reply to PM's. It seems as if they have something to hide.
Im quite prepared to bag my own wings and make my own boom but I just wanted the easy way out with the small fiddly bits.
Im not going to spend mega drug money prices for something that has about $50 of meterials in it, even tho I know how much work goes into it.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Mar 14, 2016, 06:39 AM
Toowoomba, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
47 Posts
Zipper try Pyrsly (Seba). I'm pretty sure he will sell individual components. I flew with Vanders on the weekend and he was flying the Zen from Seba. Great model and a particularly good fuselage. Very tough and I think a reasonable price.
Jesse
Old Mar 14, 2016, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by lesterpk
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
1,107 Posts
Try the lost foam method for a one off fuse pod.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Mar 14, 2016, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by lesterpk
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
1,107 Posts
www.glidergear.com.au are the agents for CLM-Pro, their DLG range is here
http://www.clm-pro.com/fuselage-pods...to-2m-wingspan
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Mar 14, 2016, 06:00 PM
Find More Posts by ZIPPER
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
6,014 Posts
Thanks for the links, that should help.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Mar 18, 2016, 05:29 AM
Find More Posts by excelpoint
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,719 Posts
I mucked around with DLG for a while. Had Sophias, Blasters etc but one of the most FUN models I owned was an Art Hobby Hybrid. A pretty good flyer especially when the wind gets up a bit, very robust and even got thrown into a few light wind DS laps.

http://www.arthobby.com/index.php?pa...ry=31&item=258
excelpoint is offline Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old Mar 19, 2016, 04:32 AM
Find More Posts by vanders
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2003
361 Posts
I took the Zen out on Thursday to test some launch settings and found a nice little bubble of lift, 212m before I chickened out, they get awfully small sometimes.
vanders is online now Find More Posts by vanders