New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2016, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by boredmug
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Jan 2016
267 Posts
Discussion
Replace antenna on ia6b receiver?

Anyone done this? i have two of these receivers both with one chopped antenna. I'm getting tired of replacing these. They only cost about 13 dollars but my second one only lasted a couple weeks.

Obviously i'm going to have to try another mounting method but it would be nice to repair the ones i have.
boredmug is offline Find More Posts by boredmug
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2016, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by Gyro Doctor
United States, NC, Rocky Mount
Joined Nov 2015
16 Posts
... Not sure what you're asking here. You say you've already replaced them before ? Just remove the good antenna from either one of the receivers to replace the bad one on the other receiver
Gyro Doctor is offline Find More Posts by Gyro Doctor
Old Mar 02, 2016, 08:34 PM
Joined Nov 2015
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmug View Post
Anyone done this? i have two of these receivers both with one chopped antenna. I'm getting tired of replacing these. They only cost about 13 dollars but my second one only lasted a couple weeks.

Obviously i'm going to have to try another mounting method but it would be nice to repair the ones i have.
... Ummm, you mean you're replacing the entire receiver when the antenna breaks ?!
Old Mar 02, 2016, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by Maxzor
France, IDF, Châtillon
Joined Jan 2016
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Doctor View Post
... Ummm, you mean you're replacing the entire receiver when the antenna breaks ?!
That is what a hobbyist does
Maxzor is online now Find More Posts by Maxzor
Old Mar 02, 2016, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2016
267 Posts
Yes.. I'm replacing the entire receiver. it's 13 dollars.. If i could solder the little bastards i would. What i'm looking for is some guidance on sourcing the material for the antenna and if anyone has replaced an antenna on this particular receiver. Basically if it can be done without making a receiver with worse range i'm down.
Old Mar 02, 2016, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by davidmc36
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
5,371 Posts
The antenna is soldered onto the PCB? Not a plug:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FrSky-2-4-Ghz...kAAOSwEK9UCR42

You could possibly strip the plug off and solder if you have the right equipment.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Mar 02, 2016, 08:54 PM
Joined Jan 2016
267 Posts
Yes, it's soldered on. I have a soldering iron. So there should be an inner wire and an outer wire correct? the inner is the antenna and the outer is the shielded(grounded) cabling?
Old Mar 02, 2016, 09:05 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
5,371 Posts
That's right, shielding to ground, center conductor to antenna connection. Will need to be very small tip on iron.

Any of the typical 2.4 GHZ antenna are basically the same length. I use the ones I linked to make longer leads on Graupner Rx's and find slightly better range. You can always check under the heat shrink at the end to compare length but it should not be necessary. Just do a good range check with your system after doing work.
Old Mar 02, 2016, 09:07 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
5,371 Posts
I have also bought 1m lengths of the small coax, stripped the shielding from the end (31mm or so???) so center conductor is exposed making custom antennae.

I think it was Mouser or Digikey where I got the coax lengths.
Old Mar 02, 2016, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2016
267 Posts
ok.. so i removed the one remaining antenna off one of the receivers. the center conductor is insulated. So i have to strip that tiny wire and tin it and then strip back some of the shielding and tin that too? this looks a little difficult. I'm just practicing before i go ahead and buy a couple antenna's
Old Mar 03, 2016, 05:54 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
5,371 Posts
That would be the process, strip a bit, tin, then you should be able to clean your iron right off, touch a wee bit of fresh solder onto the tip, then straight away touch it onto your tinned wire that is being held in place on the board.

For sure is a bit tricky. Do you have a small tip? Like almost needle-like?
Old Apr 03, 2016, 06:34 PM
Joined Nov 2015
16 Posts

The standard lengths for ANY receivers using 2.4 GHz is going to be the same regardless of the receiver.
The longer the antenna the better the reception (range) will be. Planes can get away with half and full wave antennas because they just stream the wire out below and behind them, but quads are limited to quarter waves by nature.

Either a single wire without an insulating shield OR the length of the uninsulated wire after stripping of the braided shield) are commonly used. Duplicate the way your original antenna was made though.

The wavelength of 2.4 GHz is 125 mm, so a quarter wave antenna would be 31.25 mm. There are also half wave (62.5 mm) and full wave (125 mm) antennas. Be extremely precise with these measurements because just a little bit of error can have a dramatic effect upon performance