Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:29 AM
Find More Posts by Beaushaw
Joined Jan 2016
3 Posts
Discussion
New Build Positive and Negative Continuity Problem

I am building my first quad. I have the the power distribution board soldered to the escs and I am getting continuity between the positive and negative on the board. All of my noob soldering appears as if they are not crossing pads.

Is it possible that a bad esc would contact between + and -?
Beaushaw is offline Find More Posts by Beaushaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2016, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
I am a nice guy! Really!
Joined Aug 2013
2,163 Posts
I would expect to see continuity between negative and positive. There are capacitors on the input to the ESC's and they will appear as a short to a digital ohmmeter at least initially. As the ohmmeter charges the capacitors the resistance will go up some but since the ESC is a load on the battery I would expect it to settle out at some constant value.

If, on the other hand, it is a constant dead short than my first suspect would be that you bridged the positive and negative on one or more or of the ESC connections. You could do a close inspection using a magnifier. And clean any flux off that is left on the board.

If you have no success with that then you could one by one desolder just one lead off the board from each ESC. After taking one lead off the ESC check that ESC for a short and check the board for a short. At some point the short will go away or be isolated to one ESC. You can go from there for further checking if needed.
Mike Dubovsky is online now Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Last edited by Mike Dubovsky; Feb 08, 2016 at 07:50 PM.