Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Ok folks. I've been on the computer most of the day and have worn my fingers to the nubs looking up prices for books on Amazon for Sharon. We're dividing up the books into those that she can sale and those that are not worth the bother. I'm scoring some good ones for myself just because I love how-to and reference books of all types. I'm just an information junkie I guess.

One of the plans for the Brewery World headquarters is to buy the rights to produce some of the classic kits again provided that I can get them at a good price. (Well those that Ray hasn't grabbed up already that is.) Too many of the old kits have gone the way of the Dodo and I'd like to do what I can to bring them back. I'd also like to go through the AMA plans site and see if I can find any designs that are "Different" and get the rights to make them as kits as well. I may have to put Cpt Canardly to work as well on the design team. I'll put Sean in charge of the Aero-tow section and Gary in charge of the actual brewery. Any suggestions for which kits that are out of production that I should look into getting the rights to produce? I'm sure that there are some that I haven't thought of already.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Last edited by scaflock; Jan 19, 2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
...and let's face it folks, The Balsa Brewery and Beach Club is a PERFECT name for a model plane company.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Scaflock (Jeff) - Have you noticed your typo yet? In the link you provided earlier today you mis-spelled Balsa and wrote Blasa. That's why Lil' has been giving you a hard time with the words.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Yeah I saw it. i hope I can go back in and change it on Yahoo since I did a copy and paste to post the link
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
On a slightly different note I have made a little progress on my woody build. I now have two outer wing panels and will begin working on the inner panels soon. Overall they came out pretty well. I still need to add the tip blocks. I used formica templates glued to each end of the wing panel to use as a guide in shaping the LE and the wing airfoil. It worked really well and is easy to do and best of all, it is easily reproducible. Here are a couple pictures of wood for all of you.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
oh,oh,oh, you guys do aerotowing? I built this way over powered Fun Cub,the most fun you can have foam, and have been having a blast towing Oly 650's up with it, then a friend, left me a 4M ASW-28 in my garage. So to make a short story long, in my wheelin and dealin, I picked up a SIG Kadet Senior for cheap, huge out runner, runs on 6S 5000 bats. Recovering it right now to install the tow release, hard points on the rudder and elevator for the guy wires so the tow line does not screw up my tail surfaces is the glider guy makes a mistake. I may have to join the Blasa club soon
Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:05 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Jeff, you gonna put me in charge of the peanuts department? I'll take it!

Blasa B & D
Brewing smiles and distilling knowledge since 2012
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Jan 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:22 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,235 Posts
Okay.. what am I doin'? (Besides figurin' out how to hitch a ride to Arizona with a sailplane and radio.)

Wish I had some bucks to invest in your "startup," Jeff. Another ground-floor opportunity missed due to circumstances! Dang!

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:27 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Balsa Density

Understanding the challenges with old design die-crush kits I bought my BoT for my winter build project. I decided to tackle the tail surfaces first to get my building brain back on track so with those done I'm on to building the fuse. First thing I noticed when I opened the box was how heavy the fuse planks were even compared to other wood in the same kit. Curiosity got the better of me so I weighed a sheet of it tonight to calculate the density. Drum roll please!

18.62 lbs/ft^3

That puts it at the lower end of bamboo and basswood! Holy crap man. How does anyone get away with calling that balsa? Time to remove my templates out from the die-crush sheet they pretended was balsa and trace the shape onto the real balsa I bought at the LHS. It may not be contest balsa but it is literally less than 1/2 the density. I may still build a fuse out of that heavy wood for windy days and the slope but certainly not for TD.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:38 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Laquer, I just found my kit in the same way. I was given a handy spreadsheet, and there are a couple sheets that are off the scale! I forget where, but somewhere I have it written down. The two heaviest are equal to bamboo and red pine. I guess bass, too, by the feel of it. Blech! I'll keep it. As a doorstop!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:56 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quick question guys... as you might have garnered from a previous post or two I'm building a flying wing glider using a Peter Wick airfoil. I've cut a stack of PW-106(?) ribs from 1/8" balsa and have my 1/4" spars ready to go, as well as all electronics for the build.

Now, how should I space these ribs out? Chord is 12 inches and I'm shooting for a wingspan of around 60 inches. I'm thinking of a rib spacing of around 4 inches, giving me approximately 16 ribs for the entire ~60" span.

I'm not looking for this thing to be overly aerobatic but would like it to be reasonably strong. The plan for spars is for them to be 1/4" square balsa, with one 2" back from the LE and another 2" behind it. LE will also be 1/4" square stock. TE will be the most suitable triangular stock I can find.

Does that sound about right to you guys? Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:35 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,235 Posts
I don't think a 12-inch chord rib of 1/8th balsa will be strong enough. In an impact, there is too little compression resistance. Especially if the ribs are spaced 4 inches apart. That gives you an 8 x 4 inch bay behind the spars that is otherwise unsupported. I think that's a big space for 1/8th inch ribs to resist lateral or compression forces.

But that's strictly a gut feeling. Others may not agree with me.
Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:07 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Cheers Jeff.

Half the fun of the BBBC was theorising what could be.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:15 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
wood lovers' special

Thanks for the perks Jeff!
Here's something that I put together sorta quickly a long time ago!
Maybe this could be listed on the NA Beer menu!
Boink!
I have to agree with night owl, that layout sounds very scary- especially for flying wings- the pitch moments are totally different than a conventional layout, and the balsa spars just wouldn't hold up to anything stronger than a DLG sized upstart! Sorry!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
oh,oh,oh, you guys do aerotowing? I built this way over powered Fun Cub,the most fun you can have foam, and have been having a blast towing Oly 650's up with it, then a friend, left me a 4M ASW-28 in my garage. So to make a short story long, in my wheelin and dealin, I picked up a SIG Kadet Senior for cheap, huge out runner, runs on 6S 5000 bats. Recovering it right now to install the tow release, hard points on the rudder and elevator for the guy wires so the tow line does not screw up my tail surfaces is the glider guy makes a mistake. I may have to join the Blasa club soon
Al
Aerotowing? Yes sir I do! Been wanting to do an EP tug and get into some smaller scale gliders. Never enough time but definitely on the to-do list. What I have framed up in my brain is a 2M full house on the light side. I figure weight can be kept down a bit by not needing to overbuild the spar. Something like a 2M Ka-6 or ASK-13 first then who knows?

How's towing the Oly 650 working out? We tried towing an RES ship years ago but the problem we experienced was a combination of roll coupling and a tug unable to fly slow enough to make it work.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola