SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:41 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
Discussion
What do you build first? Wing or fuse?

I read a few threads where some modellers say they like to build to fuselage first, and others start with the wing. I normally do scratch build from own designs. When designing a new plane, I always begin with the wing design and then build the wing first as well. For me, the wing is the most important part of a aeroplane. The rest just holds it together and give stability. I decide the purpose of the plane and then decide on the wing design accordingly. Thereafter I will design the fuselage. Most of the times the wing is covered even before I start building the fuse. I have a few wings still looking for fuselages.

What is your building sequence?
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:52 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,550 Posts
Wing.

I like building wings. Unfortunately, the fuselage languishes in some partially built state until I get one of those round tuits. Which is usually when that end of the bench needs to get cleared for a larger wing .

I have a plan built 4*40 that's had the wing done and the fuse half done for a year. One of these days I'll finish the fuse.

One advantage to building the wing first, is that on scratch (or old plan) builds I find it easier to cut and trim the wing saddle for a tight fit for the wing before the fuse is completed.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:02 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
I tend to build the fuselage first unless, as Roger says, I can see a problem with the wing fitting, in which case I'll build the wing first. Funnily enough though, I always seem to have the tail surfaces pre-built well ahead - this is because sometimes if I'm held up building my main model, I tend to build the tail for another model then store it away until it's needed - I suppose it's just something to do in the meantime. (I have the tail units for a 36" Eindekker, 36" BE2c and a 32" sports model built at the moment!).

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr

I like building wings. .....
Roger,

I don't like building wings at all, so I get these done first. Next comes the tail surfaces for a bit of light relief. I save the fuselage for last as it's the most enjoyable part.

I try not to cover anything until all the balsa work is completed, if only for the reason that I like to get some pics of the completed airframe.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:24 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I hate building wings. I do those first. About half way through the fuse I'm tired of it and build the tail for relief and then finish the fuse. My least favorite job of all is installing the radio. Reason I can't fly ARF's. All I'd get to do is my least favorite part.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:05 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,994 Posts
I always set the wing and horizontal stabilizer incidence on all my planes. This typically involves adjusting the wing and/or horizontal stabilizer perch on the fuselage.

Measuring the incidence of a completed wing is easy. Adjusting the wing perch on a completed fuselage is hard.

I'll let you figure out which I do first.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:56 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Wings first... unless it's molded... then usually I mold the fuselage first.
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:42 AM
iae
Sweden
Joined May 2005
111 Posts
I tend to build the fuse first and then build the wing.
The wing is most fun almost always.
tigrr is offline Find More Posts by tigrr
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:36 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Oct 2004
731 Posts
I think the theme here is "build the part you hate to build the most first," so for me that's the fuse. Build the hardest part first, then the project seems to accelerate, as opposed to languishing.

Fuselage construction seems to fall into two camps: slab-sides, so you pay with ugliness, or all sorts of curves, so you pay with difficulty. Then, there's what to do with the hatch.

Building the wing usually seems fairly straightforward to me, except for the ailerons. They always give me fits. They always seem too fragile, too prone to warping when covered, and too hard to get a really good fit over their entire length of the hinge.

BTW, Rebell, bravo on the scratch building. Here's to practitioners of the dying art.
Lon Enloe is offline Find More Posts by Lon Enloe
Old Apr 13, 2006, 05:21 AM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
I Build the wings first because it is nice looking at how big (or small) the model will be before you put it all together. Usually the fuselage makes the model appear even bigger when built which is a pleasing part of the build.

I hate building canopies; they are a vital part to finish the looks of the model, but they take too long to build, end up weighing too much and then you have to find a way of securing your hard work to the frame. By then is usually doesnt fit and gets in the way of the servos! Boy, i hate canopies .

James,
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Apr 13, 2006, 05:36 AM
Detroit Lakes, MN
Joined Aug 2003
580 Posts
I usually do the tail section first, they always seem the worst for me...boring I guess. Then wing then fuse.

Quote:
I have a plan built 4*40 that's had the wing done and the fuse half done for a year. One of these days I'll finish the fuse.
Roger, I also have a scratch-built 4*40 that is at the same level of completion as yours...I keep putting it aside to work on other things. I've been thinking of making a cowl for it for 6 months. I've been building mine as light as I can-the rear half of the fuse is 1/4" balsa sticks so maybe that burned my out on it a bit.

_Bob
P-51 fan is offline Find More Posts by P-51 fan
Old Apr 13, 2006, 07:10 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon Enloe
BTW, Rebell, bravo on the scratch building. Here's to practitioners of the dying art.
Ja well, I said normally I do scratch building. The last time I bought a kit was somewhere around 1983. Ever since I did scratch building. I never bought a ARF or RTF. I received a few used planes and one half build Piper Tri-Pacer from other people.

Now that I converted to electric, the new challenge is to build light, yet strong enough. The joy of CAD programs is that it is easy to design and calculate the weight within 5% of the final weight. The lighter the plane, the more G's the wing can handle. I am still building to heavy but I am getting there. Down from 1000 gram on IC planes to 450 gram electric on the same size plane now. I am on electric for some 8 months now. Still learning.

Around here we don't have much wind so we do not need heavy models. Even indoor models do good on a average day outside. For the past two months the average wind speed was less than 5 km/h. We do get windy months, but even then you can fly almost every day.

I completed a new wing last night. It is covered, servo's is installed and the flaperons are working 100%. Now to tackle the fuse.

Ronald.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Last edited by rebell; Apr 13, 2006 at 07:23 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 07:33 AM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Question- What would you say; the wing is a attached to the fuse, or the fuse is attached to the wing?
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Apr 13, 2006, 07:41 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,009 Posts
Fuse first 'cause I'm always impatient to see a result, and (from a kit) I can usually put the bare bones of the fuselage together in quite a short time. Then I have to clear the bench properly to get enough flat space to do the wings.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Apr 13, 2006, 07:54 AM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Oct 2004
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebell
The joy of CAD programs is that it is easy to design and calculate the weight within 5% of the final weight.
Wow--you go the high-tech route. I usually sketch out the planforms by hand on a roll of newsprint we've had for years (left over from some of the kids' school projects) and use ProFili to print out the rib plans, but otherwise tackle the project like the shipwrights of old, making it up as I go along.

Quote:
Still learning.
And that's the best part of the "roll your own" route, IMHO!

Quote:
Around here we don't have much wind so we do not need heavy models. Even indoor models do good on a average day outside.
Where's "here"? Maybe I can convince the wife to retire there one of these days.
Lon Enloe is offline Find More Posts by Lon Enloe