HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2005, 03:45 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
Build Log
MiG-25 "Foxbat" Park Jet

hey all, here is my latest attempt (and yet another diversion from my mig-23 )
it is the MiG-25 foxbat. using jetset44's techniques, i'm hoping to post plans once she has been proven to be flyable. i'll try and update this first post with the latest plans once they are released.

WS: 32in
Weight: 24.2 oz
Wing Area: 387 sqin
Wing Loading: 9 oz sqft
motor: pusher: BP-12 motor with 8x6 EP GWS prop
batt: 2000mah 3s1p lipoly (10C) (5.2oz)
ESC: CC Thunderbird 18amp
CG: 3 3/8in aft of the leading edge wing root @ fuselage
Control Throws:
---Elevator: 3/4in up and down
---Aileron: 3/8in up and down
Expo:
---Elevator: -40%
---Aileron: -35%

Plans: be sure to download both pages, otherwise, you'll be

Video (Maiden Flight): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506166
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Last edited by beanie; Oct 14, 2007 at 09:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2005, 03:47 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
ok, here are the nose cone and cockpit cut out and laminated. i used 3M77 super. fuse sides are sitting in the background
Old Dec 26, 2005, 03:50 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
the bottom fuse is slightly curved at the aft end. there is a little kink/bend up front where the body transitions into the nose.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 03:54 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
now on to building the forward fuse. doublers are added to the fuse sides. i used 10mm doublers where the duct sides meet the bottom and top of the fuse. for speed, i went with hot glue for most of the build... i know i'll pay for it in the end with some extra weight. after that, the bulkheads are added in.
-beanie
Old Dec 26, 2005, 04:15 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
top front nose piece is glued on. i usually try and cut this piece oversized so that the joint with the cockpit can be made tighter. then the nose cone is secured after sanding a nice flat surface. i used to use 5min epoxy for the nose cone, but once again, in the interest of time, i just used hot glue. after some sanding, the nosecone starts to look the part.
-beanie
Old Dec 26, 2005, 04:21 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
next, the bottom fuse is kinked to mimic the slight slant of the intakes. also, the wings are cut out and the ailerons are cut loose. i sanded a 45degree bevel into the leading edge of the aileron. they will be secured with 3M satin tape.
-beanie
Old Dec 26, 2005, 04:31 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
outside fuse doublers are lined up using the bottom fuse. the bent tips help align the fuse doublers which should also be flush with the top of the forward fuse sides. afrer both fuse doublers are added, then the bottom fuse is glued on. but this is after the distal ends of the forward fuse are taperd and glued together to form an angle.
-beanie
Old Dec 26, 2005, 04:37 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
now some work on the cockpit. some extra foam was added as a base for the magnets. then i added a front end tab to prevent the cockpit front end from sliding around when sanding. magnets were secured by J Morgan's method (thanks J!). then, more sanding to get the cockpit to rough shape to to round out the forward fuse corners.
-beanie
Old Dec 26, 2005, 04:39 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
k. its getting late. i'm calling it quits for tonight. i hope to have some more build pics up tomorrow.
-beanie
Old Dec 26, 2005, 09:43 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
back to the build!
the motor mount is laminated. there are many corrections i have to make to the plans... i forgot to calculate the size of the gws plastic holder and i forgot the elevator servo cut out as well. i sand a 'v' shape into the vertical portion of the front of the motor mount so that it can sit nicely in the tapered ends of the aft of the forward fuse.
the motor mount is 100mm long of 10x10mm hardwood.
the distance the prop is sitting out is calucaluated to allow up to a 9 or 10in prop and be able to clear the fins and elevators.
-beanie
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:34 AM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
Looks great so far Beanie, what kind of a motor is a BP-12 and where do you get them? Is that one of those Nippy Black motors from Hobby Lobby? I like the looks of the Foxbat, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of them here. I will build one of these to go along with my Fulcrum. I am trying to finish my current plane and plans, but it sure is tough to get time to finish it around the holidays.
John Bright is offline Find More Posts by John Bright
Old Dec 26, 2005, 01:47 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
hey john,
the bp-12 is a cheapo brushless motor from www.balsapr.com. i think they are now down to like $18.95 or $20.95. not the best in terms of quality compared to other motors, but dirt cheap and plentiful... (kinda like the cold war soviet military approach )
your mig-29 looks great by the way... i gotta build me one of those at some point as well.
-beanie
Old Dec 26, 2005, 06:40 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,764 Posts
Looking good beanie. The 25 is such an interesting aircraft to start with. And yields well to ff with all it's boxy lines.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Dec 26, 2005, 09:06 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to do the Mig-25. It's been compared to the Avro Arrow which had a similar layout (high wing, delta planform, twin) and mission (interceptor). Very cool.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?