SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2013, 06:07 AM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Aug 2010
11 Posts
Discussion
Best Engine Starter

My old engine starter, after 15 years of service, it has finally spun it's last spin. So I'm looking for a new one. What's the best engine starter out there for starting 150 size aircraft? I'll also be getting into 50cc gas at some point so is there one that will cover that range as well?

Best,

Gary A
funcars is offline Find More Posts by funcars
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2013, 06:16 AM
United States, NM, Carlsbad
Joined Nov 2008
58 Posts
Not sure I can answer your question with real expert advice, but the Sullivan Dynatron 12 volt starter is a very nice product for up to 30cc engines. They do make a bigger starter for bigger cc engines.--Smitty
Harold Smith is offline Find More Posts by Harold Smith
Old Oct 01, 2013, 07:30 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,505 Posts
The Starter Harold mentioned is a sweet starter but from 30cc on up is normally hand flipped.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Oct 01, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,109 Posts
This is my best starter.

Homemade, using lawnmower components and a motorcycle starter motor. The steel plate is from an electric wheelchair.

Pretty easy to do, when you set your mind to it. I doubt you'll own an engine which this thing can't start. Yes, it's a bit rough, but you can make a tidy one, if you want to. I paid a fiver for the electric motor. The rest is from scrap.

The Sullivan Dynatron is pretty good. Will start most things.

I had one for a few years, but it broke. The steel shaft has a couple of undercuts which house spring clips. These clips help to locate the armature between the bearings. Anyway, the shaft on my Dynatron fractured at the undercut. Totally beyond economical repair. Design fault, in my opinion.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Oct 01, 2013, 10:26 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,804 Posts
Another for sullivan dynatron. Mine has started 40cc using a garden tractor battery. I start my dle30 with it regularly at 12v. You can run a dynatron on 24v, but I think 14v to 18v is ideal. For up to my G-62's, I use my milwaukee battery drill. I have an old riding mower engine I'm going to take the starter off of and use that to make something similar to Bogs.

I dont hand flip anymore. Got lazy a couple of years back and a G-62 backfired into my hand. Didnt break or cut anything, just too sore to type. Slowed down productivity at work for awhile. Now I use a big paint roller for a big chicken stick.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Oct 01, 2013, 10:48 AM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Aug 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Another for sullivan dynatron. Mine has started 40cc using a garden tractor battery. I start my dle30 with it regularly at 12v. You can run a dynatron on 24v, but I think 14v to 18v is ideal. For up to my G-62's, I use my milwaukee battery drill. I have an old riding mower engine I'm going to take the starter off of and use that to make something similar to Bogs.

I dont hand flip anymore. Got lazy a couple of years back and a G-62 backfired into my hand. Didnt break or cut anything, just too sore to type. Slowed down productivity at work for awhile. Now I use a big paint roller for a big chicken stick.
Edwin
While I kind of like the lawn mower starter idea, I think I might go with the Sullivan Dynastart as a first go at it and eventually work my way up to the "larger and more robust" lawn mower model.

Many thanks to all those that took the time to reply.

Best,

Gary A
funcars is offline Find More Posts by funcars
Old Oct 01, 2013, 11:22 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,689 Posts
I vote for the Sullivan too. I had other brands and they could not turn an engine even using a car size 12 Volt power source. The Sully will take up to 75 amps, so it will turn almost anything. Today I use a lawn mower battery and it over spins engines up to .90 without a problem.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:46 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,166 Posts
I have an old antique sully I've been using with a garden tractor battery, thought it was too bulky and the batt was heavy so I got the Hanger 9 powerpro and the 12v powerpro power source with the 1.3ah gel cell and I would NOT recommend it to wind up a rubber band powered plane!! it struggles with my .91 4 stroke! I'm sure it's just the battery? the starter seems ok? but I feel like I really wasted my $$$ buying the combo with the power pack! someone told me the 12v 10cell was a stronger power source than the gel cell? but that's another 28$ on top of the 70 I just spent on this crap! DON"T BUY ONE! go with the sully! Like I said tho, the Hanger 9 starter seems ok??? I might put a 4s Lipo on it
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Oct 02, 2013, 12:55 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,273 Posts
I still use my original Sulivan I bought in 1975! It is VERY tired though and I recently started using it on 18 volts. It will get retired this year and will be replaced by an "import" though larger in design. I hve it bought but can't for the life of me remember the brand. It will also get the 18 volt treatment. I don't expect it to las as long as the sulivan though.

ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Oct 03, 2013, 06:05 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,374 Posts
For 12V starters, use 4s A123 packs rater than lead based batterys.

These packs are so light that you could tape them to the starter, and they will last forever.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:25 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2012
42 Posts
I bought a starter from a guy, i think from this group that made them from what looks like a motorcycle starter, i use a 5s Lipo pack. Its light as can be , and it popped over my buddies DA50cc like it was a 60 nitro. I try and find the post. think I paid little over $100.00. I have had alot of starters, nothing like this
T
74ranch is offline Find More Posts by 74ranch
Old Oct 04, 2013, 08:21 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,115 Posts
The "Sullies" are VERY durable starters...

Dear Funcars & Julez:

The PIPE Here...that dear old, 1977 vintage Sullivan S600 "base model" starter of mine...

...which uses a "startpak" battery case of my own design from the early 1980s, equipped with switches to control power source, use/charge and even direction of rotation (switch with green handle just behind starter case) is going to get a fiberglass upgrade — read a fiberglass "exact replacement" made up when I can get back to work again — and a set of Julez' idea of a quartet of A123 cells right from "the source" to power it, thanks to Dave Thacker over here in the USA. It HAS used a Power-Sonic 12 volt, 2.9 amp-hour lead-acid battery before, but with the quartet of A123s, the "upgraded" one could be expected to be a fair bit lighter and powerful enough to spin over a 15 cm3 to 20 cm3 displacement four-stroke mill at full charge.

For a starter to be able to run nearly 40 YEARS later should speak volumes about its durability...and the "Sully" starters seem to be "the world standard" from my experience in the hobby.

(Hint: I DO have a replacement front plastic molding, to replace the chipped-up one in the photo...I just haven't INSTALLED it yet, that's all!)

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; Oct 05, 2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 09:54 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,166 Posts
I thought I would replace this... with this... not even close!
The old sully has been cranking engines for almost 40 years and still puts the new ones to shame!
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Oct 04, 2013, 10:16 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I've got an old hobbico 180 that's going on 23 years now.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50