SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Have you experienced a Phantom Flyaway?
Yes I have, and I never got it back. 123 15.81%
Yes I have, but I managed to recover it. 127 16.32%
No, I have not. 528 67.87%
Voters: 778. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
United States, OH
Joined May 2008
942 Posts
Discussion
The "Phantom Flyaway Poll" thread

So this has been asked for, yet no one has created such a poll.

Edit: I HAVE HAD NO ISSUES SO FAR MYSELF.

Results as of March 27, 2014:
620 respondents
31% Flyaways.

Use this thread to:
1) Make official that your Phantom has flown away, via POLL VOTE.
2) Document your flyaway conditions/experiences/info or anything that may help get this matter resolved.

Let's propose a vague definition of Flyaway: You have lost control of your Phantom, and it did not Return To Home, but rather, it throttled and veered in some random direction, taking a 'mind of its own' without responding to Transmitter inputs. Basically, you are trying to get you $700 investment back, but it decides to leave you.
gnolivos is offline Find More Posts by gnolivos
Last edited by gnolivos; Mar 27, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,311 Posts
Bump to keep up. To demonstrate the easy going side of phantom flying I have never done advanced calibration or plugged into Pc

I tested rth using fpv at long distance in city and in canyons out in the scrub brush and it works

I've wondered if yaw is used auto on rth or if its done yaw independent like home lock. Its auto yaw-
Though fpv goggles its amazing to be up several hundred feet through fatsharks and have that reserve when you get lost. Flick a switch (devo 10) and it spins around pointing directly at home through the goggles and you know its safe now. Mine did a switch initiated rth when lost over a lake, 25 mph gusts, worked perfect.

Flying off rc drones original settings for devo 10 upgrade, plenty. I calibrated the compass one time two months ago out of the box and not since
Full boot up is always followed and thats it.

Additionally, some have reported charger problems that would be nice to know. If anyone has some unused stock chargers to sell cheep pm pls

I like the stock charger and use it on other flight packs
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Last edited by branflakes; Apr 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,760 Posts
When my Phantomm went flying away it was because I did not fully understand how the return to home works. I was pulling back on the right stick with home lock on and the Phantom was flying exactly away from my position. It was too far away to see the orientation. I was in a very large dirt field and the Phantom was still within the field. Before it went any further, I turned off the transmitter thinking that if it did not return to home at least it might still land in the field. When I turned off the transmitter it came back and landed within a few feet of the take off position.

After that I spent more time learning about how the home and course lock controls work. What I found is that if you fly over your take off position with the home or course lock on and fly out, the home lock/course lock is still on the original vector it choose when it first left the 20m circle around the take off location.

Course lock and home lock should be off until needed for flying in a particular location or course. If you have been flying around with it on and you realize that you want it to come home, click the switch to the off position, then back down to home lock. The Naza will now compare it's location with the take off location and plot a course back to you. Pull the right stick back and it will come strait home every time. The naza never gets lost as long as it had good gps signal at takeoff and throughout the flight.
CG Photo is online now Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:58 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,806 Posts
Second flight, properly calibrated, IMUs warmed up, more than six satellites, experienced flyer and experience with Naza M/GPS.

In GPS mode, basic hovering at six feet for about one minute. Started to land, and as the Phantom touched the ground, it immediately shot straight up at full throttle to at least eighty feet.

I had no control, even after switching to ATTI mode.

Drifted east sixty feet and then came down full speed inverted.

- - david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Second flight, properly calibrated, IMUs warmed up, more than six satellites, experienced flyer and experience with Naza M/GPS.

In GPS mode, basic hovering at six feet for about one minute. Started to land, and as the Phantom touched the ground, it immediately shot straight up at full throttle to at least eighty feet.

I had no control, even after switching to ATTI mode.

Drifted east sixty feet and then came down full speed inverted.

- - david
Sounds to me like something mechanical broke there, like one of the sensors on the Naza rattled loose or something like that.
SamurAchzar is offline Find More Posts by SamurAchzar
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:10 PM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
sounds like pilot error to me
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:19 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizziks View Post
sounds like pilot error to me
In what way?

Since when does landing a quad from six feet cause it to throttle up and fly away?
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:47 PM
United States, MI, Owosso
Joined Feb 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
In what way?

Since when does landing a quad from six feet cause it to throttle up and fly away?
Have to agree, plus what beside manual mode or a system failure would make it go inverted?

When I first got my Phantom, after enabling IOC mode, I made the mistake of launching without checking switch positions. I had the Tx dangling around my neck while putting in battery, and would bump the switches.

That would make it exhibit behavior I did not expect, although it I figured it out quick enough. I no longer hang the Tx around my neck, and always double check the toggle positions.
Northbound is offline Find More Posts by Northbound
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:58 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
50+ flights without a problem
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:59 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Last edited by HGT; Apr 15, 2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:40 PM
United States, CO, Steamboat Springs
Joined Mar 2013
87 Posts
[QUOTEI can also build your Phantom into an easier and cheaper to repair F330.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, how do the weights compare to a RTF 330 and a Phantom? How much do you charge for this conversion? Are there any other advantages other than the ones you mention? Do you have an opinion regarding the 330 vs 450?

Thanks!

Feel free to PM me if you feel this hijacks this thread...
Swyft is offline Find More Posts by Swyft
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:36 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,065 Posts
94 flights, 1 problem, not Flyaway, just bad compass conection did phantom drift left away... Manual correction recovered, then tight conection in landing gear unit and calibration solved it.
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2013, 05:35 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Staying on topic
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Last edited by HGT; Apr 13, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:08 PM
United States, OH
Joined May 2008
942 Posts
Can we please keep on topic

PM is made for stuff like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Out of curiosity, how do the weights compare to a RTF 330 and a Phantom? How much do you charge for this conversion? Are there any other advantages other than the ones you mention? Do you have an opinion regarding the 330 vs 450?

Thanks!

Feel free to PM me if you feel this hijacks this thread...
The F330 is lighter and more nimble.
For sport flying the F330 is a blast. The F450 is a better FPV rig.

PM me regarding a conversion.[/QUOTE]
gnolivos is offline Find More Posts by gnolivos
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:14 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Can we please keep on topic

PM is made for stuff like this.

The F330 is lighter and more nimble.
For sport flying the F330 is a blast. The F450 is a better FPV rig.

PM me regarding a conversion.
[/QUOTE]

I am here to help as well. I agree that the F330 is a fun fly. However the Phantom is my go to Quad.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800