HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
664 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub LP from Parts

I just finished this build. I started with the bare Super Cub foam and built from there. I did the battery box upgrades and reinforced the wing saddle. I really wanted a bit sleeker look than offered by bare foam or painted foam, so I covered it with Econokote. I added ailerons, flaps, and a probably too large brushless motor. Hopefully the weather will play nice and I will get in a maiden flight tomorrow. This will be my first plane with flaps to we'll see how it goes. I figure some high altitude flap tests to see how it's going to behave. Between the covering, the large motor, and the 2200 mAh battery she's a bit portly so it's not going to fly like a stock Super Cub. I also flattened out the wing a bit and added a carbon spar so I can round bin the break-o-matic wing struts.

roversgonemad is offline Find More Posts by roversgonemad
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:03 AM
A disaster in the making.
United Kingdom, England, Selby
Joined Jan 2013
379 Posts
That's one sweet plane. I for one think it flies better with a bit of weight and with gentle throttle can be flown really scale.
Damnandblastit is offline Find More Posts by Damnandblastit
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:43 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
It looks like you did a great job with the Super Cub.

Added weight, lots of power is reserve, sounds like it will fly scale like at about 1/3 throttle.

good looking plane.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Oh be sure to report back on how it flies and get some in flight shots.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:20 PM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
219 Posts
Wow that really looks great! I recently finished a GWS foam plane and painted it with acrylic paint. It took 3 coats so I wonder how much paint weighs vs a covering like you chose. My plane was a camo bipe so the matte finish of the acrylic looks fine. But I really love the gloss of that covering on a civilian plane.
compressor man is offline Find More Posts by compressor man
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
664 Posts
Note to self: pay more attention to CG!! As usual I got impatient for my maiden flight. There was a little more breeze than probably advisable for a maiden flight by a novice, but being the impatient type, I did it anyway. My first few seconds of taxiing, the wind lifted the right wing a few times. That should have been my clue to pack it up and go home. When you combine the weather factors with my inexperience, it got a little hairy. With not much air speed, it jumped into the air, but then it acted like there was a string on the propeller, pulling it straight into the air. After a few tense seconds I got it mostly trimmed, but it required all the down elevator I had to keep it level. I also had a little bit more washout on on one wing tip so that was a factor as well. It's almost the perfect storm; an inexperienced pilot, a breezy day, a tail heavy plane, and a slightly warped wing. What could possibly go wrong??

Here's the very first take-off. Note how quickly it becomes a speck in the sky.
Custom Super Cup LP Maiden Take-0ff (0 min 26 sec)

Here's the maiden crash, err I mean landing Not really any damage besides the little landing gear pant thing-a-ma-bob and big ding in my pride.
Custom Super Cub LP Maiden landing (1 min 24 sec)

After that flight, I went home and licked my wounds and sorted out my balance issue. The additional washout on one wingtip required some aileron trim but nothing insurmountable. About the time the sun was going down, the wind finally got to a point where a novice pilot like myself could manage another flight. An additional 29 grams on the motor mount got the balance to just a tad nose heavy (where I prefer to be on my planes). I will say, I am probably still what is considered a novice pilot. I was out of the hobby for nearly thirty years and have been flying planes since about last November. My first successful flights were with an FT Old Fogey.

Here's the take-off that evening. Again, my lack of skills being demonstrated. My camera woman (wife) had to jump out of the way.
A Crazy Super Cub LP Take-Off (0 min 37 sec)

In this flight, it was controllable enough to play with the flaps a bit. There was still enough breeze that I could almost get it to stop in the air. Flaps are brand new to me, so I didn't try to land it with flaps down. You are exactly right about scale flight around 1/3 throttle. I actually need to prop it up a bit. I currently have a 9x6e on it and it really doesn't take advantage of the potential power. The flight calculators tell me a 10x6 is just about perfect. At lower throttle settings it did very nice coordinated turns. The only down side was a little bit of yaw, I think is coming from my aileron adjustment needed to compensate for the washout.

Here's the landing from the second flight. Per my usual Super Cub landing technique, I made sure that it couldn't roll anywhere after coming to a stop
A Little Better Landing (1 min 50 sec)

My first impressions, from a novice; this is going to be a fun plane. Even with the added weight I was surprised how slow it would land. With the flaps I think it could lift quite a bit of weight. I really like how it looks with the covering. Foam is okay, but I really like the sleek shiny appearance of the covering.

After this flight I went home and took the washout out of the wing. No flight since then, but the wing looks much better and I am sure that it will behave better. Since my spar is a carbon shaft, I had to bend a 90 degree angle into an x-acto blade to be able to cut under the spar. I weighted the wing appropriately and epoxied the spar back in, and got all the twist out.

EDIT: As far as weight, my total flying weight, with the lead in the nose is right about 29 oz. I am running six 9 gram servos, an Orange 6 ch Rx, a 40 amp HK speed control, and a Turnigy 2200 mAh battery. The motor is a Turnigy 3530/14, 1100 kV. I used Dubro 2.5 inch light weight foam tires, and a Dubro 1 inch park flyer tire/wheel for the tail.
Last edited by roversgonemad; Mar 10, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:41 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
A couple more flights you will have it dialed in great and you will have lots of fun.

My Super Cub LP has about 300 flights on it, all off the water. You will have a lot of fun.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Feb 2013
664 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys!! This was the first plane I have completely covered. I helped cover one when I was a kid, but as a dorky 12 year old I don't think I was much help. I am really happy with the way it turned out. Now I just need more 2200 mAh batteries. With only three 2200s between my T-28 and this, I clearly need more!!