HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
Sometimes I wear a helmet too, even when the rules don't require it. I got the cowboy hardhat for the sunshade too. I got the cheaper nylon shutoff. I have heard they break much easier than the aluminum one for $40. I still haven't tried it out yet, but have seen them go. Our club isn't all control line friendly. I don't think the motor would quit if the lines go slack. Maybe it is a good thing if it is that slack, it won't hit so hard.
Test it all and make sure it all works the way it is supposed to.
I still have scars down the inside of both my forearms in different places where I reached around the prop to try and "tweak it" just a tad more. Most of these were nylon props on old school 1/2As. Think about a modern high tech prop on a modern motor... Guys with hooks for hands aren't really all that cool.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,541 Posts
You probably had a reedie, they needed tweaking about three times in the middle of a flight too.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Aspeed, are you saying reedies don't run well with a bladder? I've read on Cox Forums where someone was setting up a reedie for bladder feed, but no one ever followed up with how it actually worked. It was going to be for a Killer Bee. At least if the engine dies, most of the flow probably just runs out the back and less into the crankcase.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,541 Posts
It is ok with a bladder. I have seen it done many moons ago with a 1/8" hole in a BBee, and it worked for a few flights then. Just a stock BBee or Golden Bee or silver or pink or whatever always seem to go rich to lean at the end of the tank on suction.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:03 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,541 Posts
Ok, I did a pic. of the "Little Red Caps" beside a regular bladder. I use tie wraps and the $5 tool to tighten them. It has an adjustable tension. The little red caps are about $5 for 20, and are used for caulking guns. I got mine at Lee Valley Tools, I don't know who else may have them. They are like little kitten condoms and have less pressure than a regular bladder.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
It is ok with a bladder. I have seen it done many moons ago with a 1/8" hole in a BBee, and it worked for a few flights then. Just a stock BBee or Golden Bee or silver or pink or whatever always seem to go rich to lean at the end of the tank on suction.
Yep. Pressure feed usually cuts out with no great variation at end of run, one reason Jim Walker liked using it.
The Fireball plans explain how to make a balloon tank with a toy balloon from the 5 and 10 cent store, and the Walker pressure regulator was the ultimate add on- they still show up on eBay and elsewhere today.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

They used to run a real neat "Jim Walker" multi-task C/L event up in Canada, don't know if they still do or not.
Last edited by JKinTX; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
You probably had a reedie, they needed tweaking about three times in the middle of a flight too.
Cox .049s- others also. The McCoy .35 with the TF nylon prop was no slouch either.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I did a pic. of the "Little Red Caps" beside a regular bladder. I use tie wraps and the $5 tool to tighten them. It has an adjustable tension. The little red caps are about $5 for 20, and are used for caulking guns. I got mine at Lee Valley Tools, I don't know who else may have them. They are like little kitten condoms and have less pressure than a regular bladder.
Maybe they have those at Lowes or my little neighborhood HW store. I'll see if I can find some.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:12 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,541 Posts
The Jim Walker event was cancelled last year around here, but came back by popular demand this year. Paul Smith (Detroit) won the last one I saw with a Nelson and a shutoff.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:47 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
Maybe they have those at Lowes or my little neighborhood HW store. I'll see if I can find some.
Unlikely at Lowe's, but try Ace or Tru-Value.
Gnu4FF is offline Find More Posts by Gnu4FF