HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:33 PM
United States, MI, Lake Orion
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
Build Log
Loening amphibian OL 8 Navy version

I decided to do the navy version instead of the civilian hoping that i can find more documentation.I am working on the fuse top at the moment and I could use some more photos of the rear cockpit/windscreen shape.Thanks Joe
sarkantyu is offline Find More Posts by sarkantyu
Last edited by sarkantyu; Mar 16, 2013 at 07:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:02 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkantyu View Post
I decided to do the navy version instead of the civilian hoping that i can find more documentation.I am working on the fuse top at the moment and I could use some more photos of the rear cockpit/windscreen shape.Thanks Joe
Not as close as I would like, but this three-view should give you some idea of the windshield profile and the colors. Also the fuselage bulkhead shapes.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:19 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
1,062 Posts
I am writing this from my other computer so my screen name is diferent.Those bulkheads are wrong since it does not show the correct fuse shape behind the second cockpit like in this photo i am posting.
mistairjoe is offline Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
1,062 Posts
photos

Sorry, clicked to fast.Joe
mistairjoe is offline Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:43 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistairjoe View Post
I am writing this from my other computer so my screen name is diferent.Those bulkheads are wrong since it does not show the correct fuse shape behind the second cockpit like in this photo i am posting.
You have a good eye. I have seen two plans for the OL-8 that must have been based on that same three view because they show a completely flat deck aft of the rear cockpit. Looking at the photos you posted as well as other pictures in the book "Amphibian," you can see a diagonal longeron on the side of the fuselage that goes from the rear of the cockpit down to a longeron running back to the tail. It appears that the aft deck is rounded so that the edges are rounded down were they are attached to the longeron. I looked at the Aerodrome military amphibian photos, and they appear to have it right. They use a plastic molding for th erear deck, but it is fastened to those to frame members discussed above.

The OL-9 plan I posted on your "Loening Air Yacht" thread shows a rounded turtle deck, but may actually have it too round, but they do show the two frame members I described and the former patterns.

Pete G.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
rear deck

What I find most frustrating is how little information there is on a historical subject that was part of the Navy, Army,Civilian.Transport and Land survey.I am working on the rear deck stucture where that curvature blands the top deck into the side of the fuse.I might try to do the Alaskan land survey livery so i would aprecciate any help to that effect.Joe
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:03 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkantyu View Post
What I find most frustrating is how little information there is on a historical subject that was part of the Navy, Army,Civilian.Transport and Land survey.I am working on the rear deck stucture where that curvature blands the top deck into the side of the fuse.I might try to do the Alaskan land survey livery so i would aprecciate any help to that effect.Joe
Your bulkhead shapes look good, based on the photos you posted, and I see that you have the diagonal frame member that I mentioned above. As you have found, photos are fairly sparse, and it has been a challenge developing information on these fascinating planes.

Pete G.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
Top deck

Worked all day on the top shaping and molding balsa to formers and runing control lines , installing servos.This is as good as it's going to get.Joe
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:51 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,728 Posts
I would say that as "good" as it will get is an understatement! Looks OUTSTANDING to me!!!

Pete G.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
51 Posts
Your work looks great.

There must have been a time when a proud young naval officer would look at one of those Loenings sitting at the threshold of an open hanger and and say, "She's a real beaut' ain't she," but to be honest, I can't really imagine it. :-)
RCLurker is offline Find More Posts by RCLurker
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
Thanks guys!I must admit I have the Charlie Brown Christmas tree syndrome.I do like ugly man made objects with character,and this plane has them by the bucket.I could use someone with connections at the naval aircraft museum.I am sure in their archive there are some great photos of the naval Loening or the Alaskan survey planes.Joe
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:43 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLurker View Post
Your work looks great.

There must have been a time when a proud young naval officer would look at one of those Loenings sitting at the threshold of an open hanger and and say, "She's a real beaut' ain't she," but to be honest, I can't really imagine it. :-)
ROFL, yeah, and he's probably saying, why did I get washed out of fighters? Alaska? Really? Drat!
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,230 Posts
The pics at #6 look like the Santa Maria under construction. It'll be "handsome" with wings, etc.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
"The pics at #6 look like the Santa Maria under construction. It'll be "handsome" with wings, etc."
You got something there,but then I like boat modelling also.Joe
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
wings and top deck

Top of the deck is done with the servos/control runs installed to the rudder and elevator.Working on servo instalation in the wings.Joe