HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
that leads to the next delevopers querry

Open exposure keeping the shutter for longperiods of time .
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:32 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The camera uses, and must use when you think of it, auto exposure for the individual images. If the exposure were fixed based on the first image captured, it would not be possible to effectively capture things like sunrise/sunsets, etc. without subsequent images being grossly over/under exposed. But even with auto-exposure, when the stills are joined to be played back as a movie, there can be a slight flickering effect due to the difference in the way the auto-exposure averages out for each frame.
Yes, logical. However the link that Fishy gave suggested using fixed white balance (we have that), and fixed exposure. Maybe that's for flowers opening etc.

My exilim does have continuous exposure where all pictures have the same exposure as the first. Do not start with your hand over the lens! It does not have timelapse.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:32 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post

Motion Detect Bug?
I think the Motion Detect mode is not working if the camera is connected to the computer.
I started the camera, it starts recording and then I connected it to the computer to have 5V power and save the battery.
After no motion, the camera stops, entering in USB mode and started communication with the PC. So from this point Motion Detection is not working anymore.
I don't see this as a bug needing fixing. The standard USB cable is for use when the camera must communicate with the host device. Use the two-wire power-only cable if you only want power from the USB port.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Yes, logical. However the link that Fishy gave suggested using fixed white balance (we have that), and fixed exposure. Maybe that's for flowers opening etc.

My exilim does have continuous exposure where all pictures have the same exposure as the first. Do not start with your hand over the lens! It does not have timelapse.
Yes, if the illumination were constant, such indoors with fixed lighting, or outdoors, on a sunny day, with no clouds moving across the sun and little movement of the sun to lengthen shadows, this would work better probably.

But again, this is a $40 camera. More capable, more expensive, larger, and heavier cameras are available for stuff like this. Not too many flower opening, time-delay sequences are captured during aerial photography!

Fishy started a thread for his pie-in-the-sky discussion of things like this, and I'd want to keep this thread focused on AP use.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
Sweden, Malmö
Joined Oct 2012
81 Posts
I would like to have some kind of protection cap over the Lens D so i don't damage it when transporting it, does something like that exist ?
Ulrik_A is offline Find More Posts by Ulrik_A
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Dam I thought this was a DSLR camera?

time lapse is of importance to flyers. if you had .5 secs added. 1 second will do. the flyer can see his or her plane and learn fron mistakes made by error. and time lapse allows that. offers freeze frames? so yes anything outside the general by all means pie in the sky descussion search for it Lol.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrik_A View Post
I would like to have some kind of protection cap over the Lens D so i don't damage it when transporting it, does something like that exist ?

+ one
tushev is online now Find More Posts by tushev
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
that leads to the next delevopers querry

Open exposure keeping the shutter for longperiods of time .
Are you suggesting a different lens module with larger aperature or a control to boost the CMOS gain so a slower shutter speed can be used? The former would have been done by now if such a lens were available in a size that fits this camera (the search for better lenses has been on-going throughout this camera's development). And the latter alternative would just diminish the video quality since video noise increases along with the gain. This camera is pretty much maxed out at this point, and for the purpose I started this thread (which I'll again remind everyone is aerial photography), the camera is very capable as is. Use one of your dozens of other hybrid cameras for your long exposure with slower shutter needs, or continue the discussion in the #16 random discussion thread you started for things like that.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Dam I thought this was a DSLR camera?

time lapse is of importance to flyers. if you had .5 secs added. 1 second will do. the flyer can see his or her plane and learn fron mistakes made by error. and time lapse allows that. offers freeze frames? so yes anything outside the general by all means pie in the sky descussion search for it Lol.
If you are responding to my post about having a fixed exposure in time lapse photo mode, I never said time lapse photos are not important to some flyers. I said fixed exposure has no use for that for aerial video since the scene and lighting is constantly changing.

I haven't the slightest clue (again!) what you mean by "if you had .5 secs added. 1 second will do." You have 1 sec. delay and many more longer ones. Shorter delays may not be practical (some time stamp flickering and exposure variations were experienced initially in the 1 sec. delay mode).

The rest of your post is also gibberish. The camera video provides better capture of a plane flying than time lapse photos (which might miss the important part), and any editor can capture a video frame and have a stop action sequence in it... time lapse photo mode is not needed for that. And as for "so yes anything outside the general by all means pie in the sky descussion search for it Lol", search for WHAT? I see nothing understandable or of substance in this comment, nor anything that even vaguely invokes a "LOL" reponse to a reader. It's not funny at all, and is getting VERY irritating.

How many time must people ask you to either post understandable (and pertinant) comments, or stick with only your videos. Or just post in the thread you started here.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrik_A View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
+ one
There's none that can be bought specifically for this purpose that I know of, but someone posted here not long ago how they found something that does the job. A thread search should be able to locate the specific post.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:43 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
There is one use for long exposure shots related to flying. Not that I'm suggesting we should expect what is already an amazingly capable camera at this price should be able to do. I wish I could afford a camera capable of this sort of shot.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
gopro does 1/2 second, 1 second etc.. now you get it

cameras have option to keep shutter open, you get that two yet?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:37 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
There is one use for long exposure shots related to flying. Not that I'm suggesting we should expect what is already an amazingly capable camera at this price should be able to do. I wish I could afford a camera capable of this sort of shot.
Very neat picture, but in the context of this forum and this thread, aerial photography is that shot FROM an aircraft, not OF the aircraft from the ground. The latter can be done with any camera having long exposure or a "bulb" function for the shutter. Size and weight of the camera are of no importance in the latter case, so I hope this clarifies the subject matter of this thread.

If this camera were given a long shutter exposure time to capture an image like you've shown, the CMOS gain would have to be boosted very high to capture a picture like that. I don't know if a single photo could capture it without the video noise being so high it would would create a grainy image that would not come close to the quality of your shot. The #16 camera CAN, though, shoot decent VIDEO in the dark with bright points of light like LED's on a plane (see earlier night video of a Christmas boat parade I posted to show what the camera is capable of).
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
gopro does 1/2 second, 1 second etc.. now you get it

cameras have option to keep shutter open, you get that two yet?
I get all of it, but YOU don't! This thread is not about go-pro, or any of the many dozens of other cameras that can do this, so I don't care what they can do and discussion of them is off topic here. And in my prior post I explained how long duration shutter speeds have no use for general aerial video (shot from an aircraft), where higher shutter speeds are needed because of the constant motion. This is not a general camera discussion thread, but then you have one you created for stuff like this, so use it.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: s
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
so yet the cam is called?