Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:30 PM
Registered Abuser
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
658 Posts
Help!
Help with keel profiles please

Hi all,

Sorry for just jumping in and asking questions like this.

I need to know what profile I should use for the boat I am scratch building (a Racing Sparrow)

I know the infomation that I am looking for is here on RCGroups somewhere, I have found it before. I'm away from home at the moment visiting a frend in the US who has a CnC hotwire and is willing to cut me a keel blank if I can come up with the profile.

Thanks for the help!

Chris
fooesboy is offline Find More Posts by fooesboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:11 AM
Joined Jan 2006
603 Posts
Any of the Naca profiles work decent. there are a few that are slightly better, I am using one of the GOE sections that is also a 6% symmetric. For most boats something in the 4 to 6% for the fin and 6 to 9% for the rudder. If you are good with the controls, then use the smaller %, if you are a little more ham fisted, the larger % will be more forgiving.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:00 PM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
Look here: http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/a..._database.html

Then search, with your browser, for "symmetric" airfoils. Then see if you can find some low Reynolds number foils among those results. You will probably never be able to accurately construct any of these without a cad/cam setup, but that has never stopped me from trying!
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565