HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:02 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
Build Log
TITANIC 1/152 scale - Fanfold foam scratch build.

Hello scale boaters and TITANIC enthusiasts!

I will be posting some build pictures of my Titanic project soon, it is a 1/152 scale RC model made out of DOW chemical company blue fanfold insulation foam.

Thanks for viewing my build log, to see the most updated information and images on this model click the "Last" button in the page number navigation list.
Rogue_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Rogue_Pilot
Last edited by Rogue_Pilot; Jun 25, 2014 at 12:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:43 AM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
Ohhh dear, talk about walking into the wrong part of town at the wrong time...

RP, we just got done with a multipage Titanic build log that emulated the real ship in how disastrously it went down. We're usually a nice crowd but some people might be a little extra testy at hearing that ship's name. Just in case you pick up any flak that seems out of place.

I can direct you to Greenseaships' build of the Olympic for now. Entirely done out of cardboard and fiberglass, with a neat solution to having all that weight put in a full displacement hull.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:25 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,464 Posts
I, personally, wouldn't worry about it.
Build your model, and post build pictures.
It is a few people that didn't appreciate the sinking features, and they do have a
choice to "not" read any threads that offend them.

Build away, I like all builds and features.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:35 AM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
I had looked through the RC Groups threads to see if one like this already exists. I guess I missed the one about the sinking model; however I intended this thread to be about Rc versions of this ship, not sinking ones.

Thanks for the link to Greenseaship’s model, that is the type of thing I was looking for.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:30 AM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,379 Posts
ZZ65 was right about wrong timing, but as long as the project is a real project, I don't think any of us here will be opposed to another thread.

Aimee- I was opposed to the sinking model because of the level of "authenticity" trying to be achieved. Yes, we are scale modelers and thats what we do, but when we have a ship like the Titanic where 1000's of docmented lives were lost, I found it to be in poor taste. As I said in the thread, I don't think you'll find the model airplane guys trying to replicate the Lockerbee bombing with their models for the same reason.

Scott
laser110 is online now Find More Posts by laser110
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:33 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
My TITANIC

I will be putting a post of my R/C TITANIC soon, It is not finished yet but I will show what I have so far...

PS- This is an R/C model; if it sinks it certainly will not be on purpose, i mean no disrespect to the victims of this ill fated ship.

Scale = 1/152
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:44 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
TITANIC R/C model.

Here is my 1/152 scale R/C TITANIC model.

1/152<2mm = 1 foot>
Length = (1,764mm) ~70”
Beam = (185mm) ~7 ¼”
Weight = 33 Lbs

It is made of 1/4” Dow fan fold insulation foam, interior is lined with plaster cloth with crack resistant cement for displacement weight. Stern is full of expanding foam called (great stuff) to prevent implosion from water pressure.

-It is far from completion. The body and decks still require a lot of work; I also need a motor and battery. After the superstructure is finished I will add details, such as railing, deck chairs, vents, rigging, funnels, ect.

As for the power, I am going to make it move at scale speed.
<21 scale knots = 70mm/sec> The model will not need a very powerful motor,

I don’t want it to fly across the water at 200 scale Mph like many R/c models of TITANIC I have seen.

-Here are some early build pictures;
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:21 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
TITANIC, more picks:

Here are some more Progress pictures of my R/C model,

NOTE- The decks are not glued together yet, so they are not aligned as they will be when the model is finished. I have tape holdeing the ship together for now.

-Also, I have not yet made the rounded portion of the stern that forms to the poop deck, that part will be removable for installing the battery.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:54 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,464 Posts
That looks really good.
There aren't many builders that can make cardboard or foam look good.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 04, 2011, 01:25 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Very nice build.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:50 AM
Cortland OH
Joined Dec 2007
749 Posts
RP,

I like your novel approach to model building. Good work!

Ed
A-37 is offline Find More Posts by A-37
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:10 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Sweet build! Have you thought about how you are going to R/C it?

batteries / motors / number of props, etc?
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:14 AM
Woodfumbler......
Copenhagen. Denmark
Joined Apr 2010
1,215 Posts
Looking good, but Titanic did so to.

You are making it look easy to use foam, im sure it is not.

Good work.
Sharky1dk is offline Find More Posts by Sharky1dk
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:01 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
Hi, thanks for the comments

This is my first time ever building a model boat; so much of it is a learning experience for me. I currently do not know what electronics I am going to use, I am open to suggestions and advice for powering the model and keeping the prop shaft water proof.

It will have one motor, which will drive the center propeller. The two wing propellers will be for looks only, they will pinwheel in the water.

I want the model to move at least 70mm/sec, <scale 21 knots> however it would be nice to have some extra power just in case, considering scale speed is SUPER slow.

I was thinking of using a 450 motor with a 9.6v Ni-Cd.
-I am using a two blade prop that is close to the scale size if Titanic’s propeller. I will paint it brass so it looks better. The wing props will be scale 3 blade props that I will make, considering they do not need to function.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:34 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
Funnels:

I worked on the ships funnels today! I got the main structure finished, however I am yet to detail it with the ladders/ external pipes/ and the ships whistle. I am also going to insert 12 pin size holes into the funnel for the rigging strings that will be added later.

Construction: The funnel’s inner form is made of Dow ¼ fan fold foam, the outer cover is office printer paper.

Dimensions:
width: 38mm (19 scale feet)
Length: 49mm (24.5 scale feet)
Height: 124mm (62 scale feet)
Slope angle: 10 degrees

I had considered using a paper towel roll; however the diameter would have been too small for scale.
:my pictures are a bit Grainy, I will upload better pictures as I progress.

-Don’t forget to navigate through the other pages of this thread for more updates!
Last edited by Rogue_Pilot; Aug 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM.