HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
My Sky Surfer is stuck high up in a tall tree forever. Even a guy with a big truck, with a crane on, did't get it down. He smash and bend the tree several times with the heavy 12m crane, but still up there.
Maybe it was time to retire it. Last time i flew it, it didn't react as it should on the controls. And today it was even worse, plus a little wind. That always blows our model in to the wood behind the field. Myths tells about a wood full of models hanging in trees, since the war, up til today.
Short time after, the same wind blew my UM T-28 in a tree too. But not so high, so tomorrow it's resque operation. Two models in trees at the same day! Not my day. I hate that field, but the other members like to fly there, because of the short grass for take off. Ans it's nice to have someone to fly with. But they have the tree problems almost every day, stubborn old guys. I move to the neighbor field, much bigger. And no trees!
That sucks!!!!!.I hope you get both aircrafts back.
Good luck.
supermoth is offline Find More Posts by supermoth
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:54 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoth View Post
What I mean is the new version that just came out.It comes with a Futaba compatible brick. http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...44&language=en
I didn't know about this. Looks like the T6J is listed so it *might* work. You would have to contact Lindinger for sure.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Grabbing technique

Getting close to the fall season,as a rookie I'd like to learn how to retrieve the aircraft back with one hand.One of my mates does that with a 3m wingspan fiberglass glider and amazes me.
Do you practice this thecnique?.If so....any tips?
Thanks in advance
supermoth is offline Find More Posts by supermoth
Last edited by supermoth; Sep 21, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:38 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Dec 2011
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
A couple of Qs...
Does the inrunner motor you used bolt right into the stock motor mount?
Does the stock propeller fit on this I runner motor? If not, which version?
Do you use the 350mHa zippy packs?

I have purchased the Turnigy 6A ESC, an outrunner motor (same as another user mounted in a Surfer) and spare stock propeller. Still need to purchase a 415Rx and servos. If the inrunner you have works well, I might try this.

With the added weight of the components, the wing loading is going to increase and glide ratio will decrease. Not that it is perfect stock. One thing this little Surfer could use is better wind penetration. Stiffer wider wings, stiffer fuselage and a little more weight. With the increased power and good programable Tx / Rx might be a really good thermal sailplane.

That's awesome about your sailpane vision! You could help me spot when I fly my Radian in thermals, 2,394ft was my record this summer
Yes the inrunner bolts right in, I am working to ballance it out with slightly bigger 3s bats, but it flys great with the 350 zippys as well. Just took her out flying with a few more tweeks, and wow, it will sail as well, but it does great nose in dives, and awesome tumbles and snap rolls now. I think I want just a touch more elevator, it is already over twice stock, but it really wakes this plane up, it is a bit twitchy although expo helps that out too. I will try and take some pictures of the guts tomorrow, I also used an old gift card for the servo mounts, works great
It is a little tight getting the stock prop on there, but it is not coming off that easy either then. I was quite surprised that the inrunner BL was a direct bolt in replacement.
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:26 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoth View Post
That sucks!!!!!.I hope you get both aircrafts back.
Good luck.
It will hang there. Until I am just a distant memory. Totally stuck. It's irritating, I can see it but not reach it. And I am going to miss a glider that fly so well at that practical size. But I don't know if i bother to buy a new one, because of the crap electronic. And the endless change of servos. Maybe I continue to build my own small glider.
I have nearly finish a F-22 Depron. And it's time to take up again my little Slingsby
Swallow in Balsa, and put a micro motor on it.
Today it's operation resque T-28. I think we will get it down, if it not has already been blown down by the strong wind today.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Last edited by ArneHu; Sep 22, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:11 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,095 Posts
Strange history.

[QUOTE][That sucks!!!!!.I hope you get both aircrafts back.
Good luck./QUOTE]

A fellow member, an I vent up to the field. Equipped with ultra long rods. But no planes! Nothing in the trees, or on the ground!
When I disappointed come home, I took a look at our web site. And a message told that a member had both planes in his car!
An unknown fit guy, had climbed up in the very high trees, and saved both planes.
They didn't know who own the models, but he put them in his car, and wrote a message on our site.
So I am still owner of NE Sky Surfer and UM T-28! Lesson learned, always phone number on my models!
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:39 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Arne, that is great news! Good to have some tree monkeys in your RC Club.

I like the wood balsa building too, started a 1:10 scale ASK-13
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Polar Grape is not that disgusting, I only got it for the plastic bottle, at least there isn't any sugar in it!

Break in method is old school, nice. I used to do that with my old brushed hydro boat motors. I didn't break mine in, but you might get more rpm's if you do, right?
Just curious: did you have to make some forming (hot or otherwise) for the plastic to fit the cockpit shape, or were you lucky enough that the bottle shape fit closely enough?

G.
GLFaria is offline Find More Posts by GLFaria
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:21 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLFaria View Post
Just curious: did you have to make some forming (hot or otherwise) for the plastic to fit the cockpit shape, or were you lucky enough that the bottle shape fit closely enough?

G.
Lucky enough, it fits perfectly no heat shaping required .

Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:36 PM
Once you taste flight...
Joined Dec 2011
2,782 Posts
Have to glue a new magnet on there for the wing as well.

OK here are pics of my skysurfer all modded up
Motor fits fine

Servo's in main with RX and ESC

And of course the wing

Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Nice looking mods, let us know how it behaves. How much over-weight? I guess you had to ad quite something on the tail.

What glue are you going to use for the magnet? I used regular CA for reattaching the rudder control horn (the small square plate on the opposite side to the horn fell off and disappeared in a crash) - under and over the control horn attachment on both sides of the rudder - and so far it holds, after a number of crashes.

G.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:22 AM
Once you taste flight...
Joined Dec 2011
2,782 Posts
Yep CA nothing I have not done with the other fuses. Not sure how much overweight she is, she performs alright as I have said prior.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:02 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Did the inrunner brushless motor bolt right into the existing holes on the stock clear plastic motor holder?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:23 AM
Once you taste flight...
Joined Dec 2011
2,782 Posts
Yep perfect fit all the way around, just the sticker made it a little tight, so you might want to remove that first
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Busted my Sky Surfer, I fear!...

Hi

Yesterday my Skysurfer hit the ground (dry ploughed earth) - hard - at about a 30 degree angle and got such a beating that I believe it is irrecoverable. This happened when I entered the down-wind leg flying about 10m heigh - not a strong wind, but the plane just accelerated fast and started dipping down, no amount of up elevator or throtle could change things (I was on half rates, this may somewhat explain the lack of reaction to the elevator).

The front of the plane seems to be unserviceable for all practical matters - bent, badly out of shape and cracked on the right side just where the sides are thinner. As this is the most likely part to get another beating in the certain event of another crash if it ever flies again, I don't think I will even bother to try to repair it, at least in its present form. See photos below and please be kind enough to advise.

Anyway, if any of you thinks there is a way of putting the plane in working order and reinforce the front your suggestions are welcome, of course.

If I ever buy another plane (finances are badly out of order, so that will have to wait, for how long I don't know), it will certainly be a bigger, heavier, more robust plane, able to stand some wind, and with a piggy-back motor (I know, bigger and heavier crash harder, but I never seem to be able to get out of some wind and, as far as I'm concerned, I am not experienced enough for a plane this light in whatever wind there is)

So, it seems I will be out of the hobby (though not of the interest in it) for the foreseable future. Pity, it has been fun while it lasted...

G.