SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:25 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
I bought the great planes flight sim for when glue or epoxy is drying in the work shop and 3 ft of snow out side . lol It keeps my fingers nimble so in spring when i need to maiden my new plane it dont end up in pieces. I could go fly in a warm gym with some of my club members but i have seen them fly in spring and for most of them its ugly. lmao joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:04 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I live in a Climate similar to Joe's above, only much colder, more snow and longer cold season duration. I love my Realflight G-5.5 and if you think it's not a way to keep sharp on the sticks, think again. It's not just a toy, it's as close to flying R/C as you can get but not freeze your tookus off doing so in November, December, January, February, March and even into April sometimes.

However, my comments on Realflight weren't so much about it's usefulness, as about the new kind of modeling being done! Some of the models are absolutely fantastic!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:20 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
I live in a Climate similar to Joe's above, only much colder, more snow and longer cold season duration. I love my Realflight G-5.5 and if you think it's not a way to keep sharp on the sticks, think again. It's not just a toy, it's as close to flying R/C as you can get but not freeze your tookus off doing so in November, December, January, February, March and even into April sometimes.

However, my comments on Realflight weren't so much about it's usefulness, as about the new kind of modeling being done! Some of the models are absolutely fantastic!
Very interesting take on the RealFlight, and the planes that are depicted, and created... and thanks for that link.. I just bought the v5.5 about 6 months ago so my wife, and friends can get some stick time.. and I'm a big fan of it, and it does just what need.. and in my experience, I totally agree...it is the closest thing to actually flying there is on the market.

It doesn't replace the feeling of being out in the outdoors, and all that goes with that... nor does it smell like your favorite glue and balsa... but it's definately a very worthy tool in keeping in decent practice, and honing new manuevers....

The perspective of creating models.. most designs are created digitally and have been for many years.. on many various programs...but I've not thought of the sim as a form of "media" for modeling/creating purpose.... as much as a replication form... hmm.. I've got to look into that.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:18 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I'll be flyin' outside all through the winter. 'Course, coldest I've flown is 0F, and Minneesota gets a bit colder than that, eh? It's a whole different experience. Best was one morning when the hoar frost was all over everything, winds dead calm, had to fly, come in and warm up and go fly again! It seems like the super cold air is more dense, and planes just float better.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:29 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'll be flyin' outside all through the winter. 'Course, coldest I've flown is 0F, and Minneesota gets a bit colder than that, eh? It's a whole different experience. Best was one morning when the hoar frost was all over everything, winds dead calm, had to fly, come in and warm up and go fly again! It seems like the super cold air is more dense, and planes just float better.
When you get to be my ripe old age i worry about falling and breaking my hip more than freezing to death. lmao
Last edited by cracksmeup; Nov 12, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:34 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
Hmm, that's something to think about (he said having turned 65 on the ninth) nahhh, I'm gonna go out and play! My biggest problem this year has been, and continues to be wind. Seems like it's always 10 and up and too often pushing 20.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Springer it was windy at the BEARS game tonight and some one did not do so well in the wind.lol just kidding with ya. joe
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:03 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,098 Posts
How to bring building back?

Give me a easy way to prep the balsa for paint vs fiberglass.

Most people now do not build there birds in a work shop, but in there basements or extra bed room and hate montocote on war birds.

I have been reading all day about FligtSkin and LiquidSheet, and still don't have a clue which would work best for a Giant Top FLite Corsair.

I want a 86in corsair, I was going to get the ESM 50cc but at $750 shipped I think I will try to build my first kit with the top flight giant Corsair.
mikes68charger is offline Find More Posts by mikes68charger
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:13 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
RealFlight is good in cold weather
Ah, fair enough. See, I'm down here in sunny Australia and we don't have what you guys call 'winter' - we'll get frosts and so on in the mornings but winter temps in my area (100 miles south of Sydney) are -5'C nights and 10~15'C days.

If the weather was 'real' winter (-10'C or less, snow over the place etc) then I, too, might start to think a sim is invaluable!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Ah, fair enough. See, I'm down here in sunny Australia and we don't have what you guys call 'winter' - we'll get frosts and so on in the mornings but winter temps in my area (100 miles south of Sydney) are -5'C nights and 10~15'C days.

If the weather was 'real' winter (-10'C or less, snow over the place etc) then I, too, might start to think a sim is invaluable!

Cheers - boingk
When we get 3 or 4 ft of snow its either build or play with the sim or shovel snow out of the driveway . I would rather build and play the sim and let the snow melt by itself. lmao joe
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Here in Michigan, we have the world's most effective and thorough snow removers. July and August.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:50 PM
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2006
368 Posts
I believe the decline of mom & pop hobby shops,have led to to the loss of many new builders. I learned quite a bit before our local hobby shops went under.
I spent what ever time I had, learning and working on my planes at the hobby shop.It seems like there was always someone working on a plane with the help of the owner or his right hand man.
If some of us older molders could help anyone new interested in building,it might get the ball rolling. As they say you can't go back,oh well
Earl
ps someone might of touched on this earlier in this thread
earlcbrown is offline Find More Posts by earlcbrown
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Earl, I agree building with others; or, some type of building clinic is a good idea and am also going to be doing just that in a couple weeks. Let's see if anyone shows up. After all there is a lack of interest in building!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Nov 15, 2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:59 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Here in Michigan, we have the world's most effective and thorough snow removers. July and August.
You southerners have no clue. Up here, it's August.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
You southerners have no clue. Up here, it's August.
Yep.... and probably only a good two weeks in August at that...
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Closed Thread