HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2008, 06:24 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
Discussion
Wooden fuselage vs Pod/Carbon Boom

Has anyone built a DLG with a wooden fuse? Not just the pod, but a full wooden fuse.

I know the Pod/Boom is probably lighter but can the wood fuse stand up to the launch punishment of a full discus launch? How much weight do you think would be gained by using a wood fuse?

Thoughts?
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2008, 07:20 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,912 Posts
I think it's doable.

As far as weight goes, my bud (Hossfly72) flies a Climaxx (but javelin launches it) with awesome results. Can't speak from experience on strength but I think a reasonable weight can be had.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 04, 2008, 07:53 PM
Don't worry about it!
Raleigh NC
Joined May 2008
1,368 Posts
To get some strength into it, spruce or other strong wood would have to be used, which would add a lot of weight.

I've seen some balsa fuselages that have a carbon tube inside the balsa exterior.
j.m. is offline Find More Posts by j.m.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,632 Posts
I used to fling Skeeters by wingtip off the top of the slope I flew from in Nashville. I didn't get 200 foot launches, but I put some power into 'em. But I do have a tendency to overbuild when I know I am throwing it. They used to call my javelin launch the "gorilla arm", but that was 15 years ago. I have since learned to find thermals MUCH lower!

There is a very different technique for tip launching a "normal" handlaunch than today's DLG's. If you don't have a sub rudder, you have to kind of let the outer wingtip dangle and then give it a bit of a flick to keep it from rolling inverted on you. If you do roll inverted, have a backup plane ready to go or your day is ruined. I won't do it with the Climax. I wouldn't take the chance of ruining my classic. Check out Skybench's web page. Some guy has modified the 60 inch BoT for tip launching.

I still believe there's a place for javelin launching! When I was younger and in better shape, I could throw a Climax and do 5 loops then a 100 ft diameter circle to land in my hand. I wish I still had the gorilla arm!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:40 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
good stuff guys. I was thinking of reinforcing the sides of the fuse with carbon. Which would keep it light, and strong. Seems much simplier and less expensive than a rolled boom.

j
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:48 PM
Thermal Naked!
Joined Dec 2007
1,632 Posts
Something I have tried that works very well is to use 1/8th inch balsa for the sides,top and bottom of the fuse. Then plane and sand it smooth,small and round. You'll remove a BUNCH of wood, but it turns out almost round and beautiful! Put CF inside and then make it pretty and then glass it. I also use 1/4 or 1/8th inch square pieces inside and plane them down before joing the fuse sides together. Can you guess that my favorite part of building is sanding? LOL
But if you get it small and tight together, there's not that much weight to be gained by doing it this way. Oh, use Tightbond or similar not CA. Ca is heavy and brittle when dried. Wood glue flexes a bit. Just wait until I get the Super Skeeter finished! Oooooh it's pretty and it's got a full flying stab!
Old Nov 04, 2008, 10:33 PM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72
When I was younger and in better shape, I could throw a Climax and do 5 loops then a 100 ft diameter circle to land in my hand. I wish I still had the gorilla arm!
Unbelievable! I'm not sure I can do that DLGing. I guess I have a pygmy marmoset arm.
Mr._Mulligan is offline Find More Posts by Mr._Mulligan
Old Nov 04, 2008, 10:44 PM
Thermal Naked!
Joined Dec 2007
1,632 Posts
Mulligan!!!! Where've ya been?!?!?!?!?

Ssshhhh! Don't tell anybody... It wasn't really my arm that did it. The Climax was just that good an airplane. The guys I flew with thought I was the best pilot since the Red Baron..... until I let them fly my Climax... That ruined it!
Old Nov 04, 2008, 11:10 PM
Corona, CA
Joined Sep 2007
923 Posts
I've been playing around with molding some mini-DLG pods. Next step is to bag some wings.
Mr._Mulligan is offline Find More Posts by Mr._Mulligan
Old Nov 05, 2008, 01:02 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,591 Posts
I bought Ray Kostuk's discus modified little bird and flew it for a while I still have it and have threatened to draw up a set of plan's for it. Photo's of it in flight can be seen on the slope forum at Tucson "A" Mountain photo's. It's got the BOT wing planform but with Drela airfoils the fuse and rudder are all Ray's the evevator is stock. I had the honor of having my first 10min. flight with it. Dave.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2008, 08:25 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
prodjx,

How is the fuse constructed on that dlg bird?

J
Old Nov 05, 2008, 08:45 AM
Thermal Naked!
Joined Dec 2007
1,632 Posts
I like that plane!! Need some more info on the airfoil though. Which airfoils does it use? What's the all up weight and the wing loading and other info. I've been thinking about scratching up a 60 inch Bird with Drela foils for a while.
Old Nov 05, 2008, 09:23 AM
Don't worry about it!
Raleigh NC
Joined May 2008
1,368 Posts
Rolling booms really isn't that hard, it just takes practise.

The hard (sorta) part is makeing pods that can use the booms.

But if you are just trying to make one or two planes, you can search around and find people willing to sell you pods and booms for really not that much money.
j.m. is offline Find More Posts by j.m.
Old Nov 05, 2008, 09:43 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,675 Posts
j.m.

Part of why I started this thread was because building wood profiles is a bit easier than building the pod/boom type. I can do either, but I have been dabling in wood for the last year and an all wood DLG fuse is very compelling.
Old Nov 05, 2008, 09:51 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Mulligan
I've been playing around with molding some mini-DLG pods. Next step is to bag some wings.
Mr. Mulligan,
Man that looks good.
Have you done a step build thread on that?
Pictures great too!
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255