HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2014, 02:50 PM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,222 Posts
This is fantastic ! not just a boat , not just a boat and plant , but the docks as well !
Where will it end ?
Very nice work.
Dunc2504
dunc2504 is offline Find More Posts by dunc2504
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2014, 09:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc2504 View Post
This is fantastic ! not just a boat , not just a boat and plant , but the docks as well !
Where will it end ?
Very nice work.
Dunc2504
Funny- my wife is asking the exact same question…

Mike
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
Old Mar 04, 2014, 10:13 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Engine Work Moving Along

Work speeds along on Preston's steam engine. Most of the Stephenson reversing gear are now done. Still deciding whether to use two servos to control forward/reverse gear found on each cylinder. Using one servo would mean fabricating a 12 inch cross shaft running between the two cylinders.

Snagboat Mike
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:08 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Preston's Engine nearing Completion

The engine is nearing completion with eccentrics, paddle cranks and lubricators left to make. I've also decided to rebuild the smoke stack, not happy with the way it turned out. This will be smokestack #3. This time I'll make use of silver solder and soft solder to make fabrication go easier.

Snagboat Mike
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:37 AM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,222 Posts
Wow ! I had no idea of the size of this model
That is a BIG engine .
Very nice work!
Loving this build .
Dunc2504
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc2504 View Post
Wow ! I had no idea of the size of this model
That is a BIG engine .
Very nice work!
Loving this build .
Dunc2504
I'm closing in on launching the Preston. The dock is finished along with the RC dock crane. I should be able to install the steam engine in a month or so. The engine looks big, but actually has a bore of 5/8" and stroke of 2". Building it to scale meant duplicating the long engine bed, pitman arms and eccentrics. All this makes for a big engine. The photos of the engine show it mounted in the aluminum milling fixture and does not duplicate the actual width the engine will take up. As installed, the two cylinders and engine beds will be about 10 inches apart.

The model is big- 63" LOA, 13" width, 37 lbs., 22 channels using a 10-channel Spektrum DX10t and a dedicated 12-channel lighting controller. The boiler is controlled with an attenuator to maintain a set boiler pressure, and a Water Level Control System with feed water tank and high pressure electric pump. The boiler room is equipped with an automatic CO2 fire extinguisher. Working features- 3-drum steam donkey forward (electric) turning engine to swing crane boom, operational spuds dropped through holes in hull to anchor the boat while using the crane, RC operated cylinder drains, 5 rudders ganged together and of course, the scale Gillette & Eaton double action, non-condensing, long throw steam engine. Preston will be tied up to a 1/32nd scale Corps of Engineers dock that is 8 feet long and includes an RC dock crane and lighting. Whew.

Snagboat Mike
Last edited by hookpilot; Yesterday at 12:59 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,222 Posts
Massive project
But if it is worth doing it should be done well !
Loving the engineering !
Projects like this are so much more interesting than posts on some ready to run thing .