Closed Thread
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
Fly hard or Fly home...?
United States, TN, Lenoir City
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
Help!
help with a glider

Hey this may be the wrong section, but i wanna get a glider, i have a spektrum receiver and a dx5.
Ive got near 100usd to spend and it needs to be a little bit durable the more the better.

At the moment the hobbyking pheonix 2000 arf is standing out.

Let me know what you think all opinions are welcome.
soccer du25 is offline Find More Posts by soccer du25
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:19 PM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,106 Posts
A lot of people fly the Park Zone Radian or EZ glider motorized gliders. I had a Sig Riser and it flew great, but nobody builds anymore

You can't go wrong with a foam 2 meter 4 channel glider with an outrunner and a folding prop, along with a 3 cell 1800mah battery.

When you get good at it you can compete in LMR contests too. On of the things to remember with gliders is that lihgter is always better

With regard to the buy cheap buy twice, from some vendors with regard to ESC, Servo motor etc I sometimes get extras, if you know what I mean.
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:27 PM
Fly hard or Fly home...?
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
So are you saying that the one i found isnt too great? It seemed okay but im not a glider kind of guy haha but i have wanted to get into it for so long now and want a great preforming but strong and cheap plane. Could you link me to a few? And some assembly is okay i like to build.

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:30 PM
United States, CA, Rio Vista
Joined Feb 2012
762 Posts
The hobbyking Phoenix is very fast and way more sophisticated than I would recommend. My FB has one and regularly flies the Radain, but has put his phoenix away until he can fly better. He flies a T-28 and FunCub just fine but the Phoenix is not very stable. It is a great amount of plane for the bucks.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4775
OldDmbThms is offline Find More Posts by OldDmbThms
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:39 PM
Fly hard or Fly home...?
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
Alright i mean im pretty good at flying, i have mastered the the eflite apprentice and i fly some delta wings. But whatever you think is great,
Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer du25 View Post
Alright i mean im pretty good at flying, i have mastered the the eflite apprentice and i fly some delta wings. But whatever you think is great,
Thanks
As noted the parts in the Phoenix are OEM, level at best. It is not a very powerful motor for the weight of the glider. Over and Out, best of luck!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Fly hard or Fly home...?
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
Alright, other than the radian what would you suggest? I like bigger planes as they are more fun to fly for me.

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
762 Posts
There is a large thread on the Sky Surfer and the SupermSky surfer. If you really like big look at the Super Sky Surfer.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1706026&pp=100

Smaller but popular Http//www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__27169__Hobbyking_Bixler_2_EPO_1500mm_w_Optional_ Flaps_KIT_.htmlr
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
Fly hard or Fly home...?
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
thats a bit pricey. Im looking at spending less than $100, I can assemble it, that is not of the issue ( just not from scratch). I would like size, but that is not of the matter if im going to get one that can glide for longer and is much more fun, but keep larger size in mind.

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:33 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,106 Posts
I looked at the pictures on HK's site and it shows METAL screws holding the wing on. WHen you crash, a nylon screw would break, but here the wing and/or fuselage will instead.

My riser had rubber bands that held the wing on, which also let go when you crash.

I have an HK P47. That is my beef. These are metric screws and it is difficult to find nylon metric screws here.

If you have some servos and the RX, look at the Radian and EZ glider.

I bought a 2 meter ARF motor glider from China, and it looks great but is heavy and not very crashworthy. It's called a Kunlun, and I don't think it's made anymore.

It was fiberglass and built up wooden wings. I adapted it to nylon bolts for the wing after I crashed it the first time by epoxying a plywood and tapping it for standard screws.
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
Fly hard or Fly home...?
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
Alright well im still doing some research maybe i should save up a little bit and buy a better one
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
Fly hard or Fly home...?
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
Right so i think i have narrowed this down... correct me if im an idiot haha:

The hobbyking ask21 ep, epo pnf for 97.99

Or the ask21 ep glider 2600mm fiberglass arf for 126.09

And the fox epo glider 2.32 (91.4) plugnfly (v2) 114.99

I am still looking around. I want a sleek and nice design but i also want to be able to glide for a while, and catch great thermals, i also would like a larger wingspan but the wings be detachable for tranaportation!

Thanks the new budget for everything is $160 usd but by all means try to keep it as low as possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:53 PM
Fly hard or Fly home...?
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
hey so i think i may go with this one now,

what do you think/know?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EPO_PNF_.html
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by soccer du25; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:48 PM
Ground Locator Device Pilot
United States, TX, Avinger
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer du25 View Post
Alright, other than the radian what would you suggest? I like bigger planes as they are more fun to fly for me.

Thanks
I like my FOX 2.32. The stock rudder is weak though however it is a pretty easy fix. I got mine here;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Good luck!
kevin8092 is online now Find More Posts by kevin8092
Closed Thread