HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:30 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Please remember there are three of us building Mossy's. The other two are getting over the holiday season and getting mobile again. Both Ken and Paul are better builders, I am looking forward to seeing their builds. We intend to have all three flying together this summer.
Thanks for the kind words, the plane is coming along fine, still a ways to go tho. I managed to get the hatch completely sheeted today, it came out very well. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
As for the EMP props, I used to buy them thru Hobby King, they still have a few 16/8/3's the last I checked but it looks like they are discontinued.
I purchased my last batch of 16/8/3's from a dealer in China on EBay, cost for 3 was $31 including free shipping. I can't seem to get the hang of links, esp to Ebay, \I'll look into my files and see about a name. On Ebay, under Remote control access, propellers. They had all the sizes EMP makes the last time I looked. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:12 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
792 Posts
Great thread Guys,

My Brian Taylor Mossie dates back to 1993, twin Astroflight brushed 40's, 36 1400 mah Nicds.

The power system has evolved over the last twenty years and 1500 + flights.

When I decide or I am forced to retire mine, I'll be revisitting this thread often,

Good luck with them,

-DG
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:55 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Hi Dave: thanks for looking in, nice to hear from someone else with this Mossy. I have only one question - with Astro 40's and 36nicads - how much did the plane weigh then????
With 1500 flights, maybe you can talk the three of us thru landings and departures, your obviously the expert! Doug B
Last edited by Doug Bartley; Jan 11, 2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: add
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:02 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
i said I would get some pic up on the hatch assly, it came out far better than I thought it might.
Its pretty easy to work a twist or warp into a piece like this, careful approach using both sheeting and planking kept the stress out.
I also managed to get the MG sleeves epoxied in and trimmed.
I'm going to do the canopy next, get the frame taped in, then start the process of testing and more testing. Doug B
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:38 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
792 Posts
Hi Doug,

The heaviest weight of my Mossie was around 15lbs.

I think that the plane is about 10lbs. now.

At least 4lbs or more lighter since the mid 1990's.

The plane has always made me appear to be a better pilot than I really am.

-DG
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:17 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
We are hoping to keep these Mosquitos under 15 lbs. i would have been real easy without the LG, but adds 2 1/2 lbs alone. All reports I've read say this model still flies good at 18lbs or more.
At 10 lbs it would be a gentle flyer for sure. I'll be doing a weight check shortly. Doug B
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:47 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,422 Posts
Thanks guys....

I find I'm spending more time here on giant electric than my usual haunt in electric scale forum - mostly reading threads like this With a 'giant scale' model of my own to start sometime, reading about the trials and tribulations from 3 angles is inspirational. This is a joy to read and learn from...keep it coming

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
H iPat welcome aboard our Mosquito Express! hehe. It seems like more and more people are going towards bigger planes than ever now. Since the vast improvements in electric motors and esc' and batteries of even 4-5 yrs ago, we can now power much larger plane well.
I have realized for me at least, I enjoy stuff between 6 and 7 ft wingspans. I;ve been building most to be at 80" or a little better. i have one plane under 60" that I fly occassionally, a 36" Hyperion 540 that has been thrashed.
Everything else I try to fly scaled to its size. Tho I own a 50cc Aeroworks 300 Extra, I don't fly 3d at all.
This Mosquito has been very challenging in a lot of ways, and we still have a ways to go, but I believe they are going to a barrel of fun.
Please fee lfree to voice your expertise on any subject here. All input, + or - is welcome and appreciated to learn from. Doug B
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:13 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Hi folks: Just a report in today. I managed to get the canopy railings in place, used 1/8" striping tape painted.
I then disassembled the plane and put on a couple of coats of Mpu to help stiffen up the fuselage and seal it for covering. It is drying now.
When that was done, I decided to test the 16/8/3 blade EMP prop to see how it fairs against the MAS and Graupner.
With a battery showing 24.5v resting, the test shows 930watts, 40A at 22.8 volts under load. Not bad at all! A full throttle test for 30 seconds showed no heat in the motor, it was cold to the touch. So 1860 watts total for two shows 124 watts per lb based on the plane weighing 15lbs.
My next step while the table is clear is to weigh the components, my scale only goes to 11 lbs, so separate pcs have to be done. I'll let you know later. Doug B
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:45 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
After carefully weighing all the components, the plane complete minus covering comes out at 12.69lbs. It is also minus the props and spinners.
Batterys, 1 4900/6s/25c and 1 1800/2s/15c come to 1.81 lbs, so total as she sits is 14.5lbs I believe completed she'll run up to 15.5 lbs Doug B
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:07 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,083 Posts
Mpu? Marine poly urethane?
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:36 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
Mpu? Marine poly urethane?
I may have used the wrong term for what I'm using. I use a water based polyurethane, its act a lot like like products available thru hobbyshops like Balsastik. The actual product was called KRYLON Crystal Clear Topcoat. Doug B
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:27 AM
Owen Sound, ON. Canada
Joined May 2007
82 Posts
Doug

I have the wings mounted and am just finishing adding the 1/32 doubler to the nacelles. I am going to need some direction on the mounting of the landing gear.

Ken
ken.robinson is offline Find More Posts by ken.robinson
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:27 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.robinson View Post
Doug

I have the wings mounted and am just finishing adding the 1/32 doubler to the nacelles. I am going to need some direction on the mounting of the landing gear.

Ken
Just call me when your ready, I'll be available to help you set the LG up!! Doug B
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:10 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. Had my 81 yr old mother fall and break her hip, heart attack during or after late Tues night. She's stable now in hospital. I had to carry her into the house, pulling some muscles in the process, so not feeling up to doing much.
I did get 95% of the fuselage covered before this happened, and finally have the elevator/ rudder installed. More details later Doug B