HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:32 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,850 Posts
Baby coach wheels.

Some of the old BBQ grills with wheels would be good candidates for a wheel donation too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:00 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,750 Posts
Earl's right, a lot of the guys who have built large gassers have taken all kinds of spoked wheels off toys, baby carriages, grills, etc. If you've got a Goodwill, Salvation Army or good thrift store near you, go browse their toy section. You can also find stuff thrown out on the side of the road if you keep your eyes open. Wire works pretty well for the LG and you can bring two pieces down, wrap it with some copper wire and solder it together. Then put a wire across the middle with a spring as a shock to keep it from spreading. Aluminum bar will probably be too soft unless you can get whatever that aircraft grade the folks use that is springier. I forget what the designation is.... T-8, T-11 or something? I've never built a plane that big, but I'd go the built up wire route if it were me....
JohnsPop is online now Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:52 PM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Earl's right, a lot of the guys who have built large gassers have taken all kinds of spoked wheels off toys, baby carriages, grills, etc. If you've got a Goodwill, Salvation Army or good thrift store near you, go browse their toy section. You can also find stuff thrown out on the side of the road if you keep your eyes open. Wire works pretty well for the LG and you can bring two pieces down, wrap it with some copper wire and solder it together. Then put a wire across the middle with a spring as a shock to keep it from spreading. Aluminum bar will probably be too soft unless you can get whatever that aircraft grade the folks use that is springier. I forget what the designation is.... T-8, T-11 or something? I've never built a plane that big, but I'd go the built up wire route if it were me....
Earl, John,

thanks for the wheel advice! I think we’ll go with wires for the landing gear per your advice. We’re now keeping our eyes open for discarded stuff with wheels and will definitely take a trip to a few thrift stores today or tomorrow. If we don’t find anything we like, cutting a pool noodle to make thick tires and building spoked wheels may be the ticket.

We may be getting ahead of ourselves as we don’t have detachable wing-jointing figured out yet and skiis will be needed soon enough anyway.
Y.P.F. is offline Find More Posts by Y.P.F.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:04 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,750 Posts
Your coro wheel idea may work, if you goop a brass tube through the middle. You'd probably need to make them 12 or 16mm thick to keep them from flopping over when you landed on them. If you used 3 or 4 layers of coro and put a tube through the middle it *may* work..... you could cut out sections to simulate spokes..... the pool noodle may work as well as long as the center was strong enough. This is exciting. It's been a while since someone other than one of the "regular spad gurus" who actually knew what they were doing just flung caution to the wind and said, we're going to do this no matter what. We're waiting with anticipation and fingers crossed! Where are you guys located, anyway?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:50 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Your coro wheel idea may work, if you goop a brass tube through the middle. You'd probably need to make them 12 or 16mm thick to keep them from flopping over when you landed on them. If you used 3 or 4 layers of coro and put a tube through the middle it *may* work..... you could cut out sections to simulate spokes..... the pool noodle may work as well as long as the center was strong enough. This is exciting. It's been a while since someone other than one of the "regular spad gurus" who actually knew what they were doing just flung caution to the wind and said, we're going to do this no matter what. We're waiting with anticipation and fingers crossed! Where are you guys located, anyway?
Thanks for the advice John, (Paul typing) my girlfriend and I looked at four thrift stores and didn't find the right kind of tires. After some work we found a noodle pool toy but it has a really thin tube wall (maybe we'll find a thicker one). I'm thinking positively and saying it'll be lighter this way. I think we'll do the wheels out of this pool toy and the landing gear out of a super thick and big hanger layered with rubber bands and/ or string keeping them from separating on hard landings. Your Idea using coro as wheel rims is really good, I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work too well I might make spokes out of strings and hope the wheel wont sag too much. I'm counting on short takeoffs and landings as the landing gear already feels sketchy and we haven't started yet :S.

I'm stiffining the control surfaces, hopefully they'll keep the fins themselves stiff. I'll scrounge up some fishing line to keep things square after they're installed.

We've hit a setback as my AXN clouds fly just came in the main today so we wont make much progress tomorrow. Building it wasn't nearly as fun as working on this SPAD though and I'm still more excited about the bipe by far!

My girlfriend and I are living in a wood-heated log cabin in Anchorage, AK.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:13 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
It is always good to get another plane. I like hk because everytime an order arive it is usually forgotten whats in there. Like christmas a month later then when you asked for it
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:00 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubmonkey View Post
It is always good to get another plane. I like hk because everytime an order arive it is usually forgotten whats in there. Like christmas a month later then when you asked for it
I know right?

That's exactly how it happend, like x-mas. I thought it would be 2 weeks late like the USPS stated, but it was only one!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:46 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
99 Posts
Slow, Sure progress

Paul and I have been hard at work this weekend. Well as much as possible, it’s a bit more slow-going than either of us wants, but we have been pretty busy (Paul works 3 jobs and is in Grad school).

We've salvaged some aluminum pieces off a Taylor-craft that crashed in the forest in the 70's. We'll use this to reinforce and attach the wings together. We've been cutting, grinding, sanding, and cleaning the aluminum so they’re ready to go. We also managed to successfully glue the arrow shafts to each wing. The tail is mostly together and just needs to be glued / taped. We’ve got some popsicle sticks glued together to use as servo mounts as well.

We've started on the wheels for the landing gear by making coroplast circles.

All in all not bad progress for the last couple of days, hopefully we’ll pick up speed and have a lot more done by the end of the month (if not all of it). Getting the parts from HK will help things along.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:15 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,750 Posts
Lookin good!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:46 AM
Watch This!
United States, LA, Washington
Joined Feb 2007
122 Posts
I like it!
Corocrumpler is offline Find More Posts by Corocrumpler
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:27 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
99 Posts
Some Progress

"I don’t know how other people join single sided large coro wings together so that they are removable so figuring that out involved a bunch of brainstorming. We tossed around using zip ties and re-enforcing the coro with popsicle sticks. As you can see, Velcro won the battle. Now that that part is done, it feels a little sketchy as we have wing overlap that’s now noticeably higher than the wing on bottom and the arrow-shaft spars don’t line up. Hopefully it flies alright with slightly offset wings. We’re going to add the aluminum top spars with glue and zip ties on one slide of the wing and with zip ties, popsicle sticks and Velcro on the other.

Our next step is to make wing struts and figure out how to attach the fuselage to the wings. Stef has the wheels and landing gear on the right track with plastic yogurt containers, coro, and that pool noodle. Our motor could be here in a few days so we’re trying to get as much as we can done before then. My business is having a launch party this Friday and a midterm project on Saturday so time is limited.

I imagine it’ll be a bit tricky to take the wings on and off at the field. I keep thinking of the possibility of putting it in the 6’ bed of my Ranger if I made a tent type thing with the tailgate down, wood poles in the bed, wall holes, and a big tarp. . .

My limo was our 1st option (good for hauling long objects) but the head-gasket is blown. Does anyone have any tips for transporting large RC planes?"
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:22 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
99 Posts
Inching Along

After work this Saturday was mainly spent working on the airplane. A surprisingly little amount got done but it was a little tricky figuring tings out and re-doing a lot of stuff at least once. Stef. had the bright idea to make the wheels entirely out of pool doodle foam and also glued the landing gear together. I managed to carve paint sticks with notches on the bottom using a saw as sharp as a bungee chord. I lined up the wings (neither are straight) and made holes for the notches to fit in. We got a little distracted by a HK shipment of parts that we've used to revamp my slow stick.

Hopefully the rest of this thing will go faster.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Oct 2006
76 Posts
I applaud your creativity and enthusiasm, but I fear your project is a bit ambitious for your first.

What I recommend for all first time SPAD builders is to start with something proven. A DPS is a great all around sport plane and the plans are well documented on spadtothebone.com.

Building a proven design will give you experience building with plastic that you can apply to new builds like yours. There's techniques for gluing - like flashing the oils out of the coro with a flame. It makes the glue joint far stronger. You'd also learn how to make coro hinges - but it's too late as your wing skin is already cut.

I don't want to discourage you from this build, but I'd strongly recommend walking before running.

However, if you are going to continue with this build...

Make sure you stress test that wing before attempting to test fly. Support the plane by the wingtips - there shouldn't be any flex. You should be able to add at least double the AUW to the plane without the wings failing. A good sport plane probably sees more like 10-15 Gs - that means that a 10lbs plane would need to support 100-150 lbs. If you are doing slow 3D, it won't see the Gs, but an 8 lb plane can do alot of damage if it has structural failure.

Also, that landing gear isn't going to hold up to much. Do you have a source for 5/32 music wire? It's good for landing gear (see the USS build on STTB) and for stiffening short pieces of coro like your vert and horiz stabs.
GINMF is offline Find More Posts by GINMF
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:36 AM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
99 Posts
Just a quick update - We have a temporary hold on the airplane while working on our Halloween build - The Cool Ghoul. You can check it out here; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748191

We're not done with this project by a long shot, we'll have a better update later this week.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:09 AM
Australia, TAS, Wynyard
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Nice work mate!
christhomas is offline Find More Posts by christhomas