HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:11 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,276 Posts
Very pretty airplane that... Is antenna taped to the boom? Not 2.4?
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:06 PM
Scotland UK
Joined Jan 2005
275 Posts
Hi
No it is graupner 2.4
The pushrods are external on top of the boom , I do not believe in cutting carbon tubes to allow pushrods to exit. plus the straight control runs give slop free controls.
It is for use in comps so I like access to the working parts in a hurry.
They are only taped initially, the outers are etched and are cyanoed on.
ian
sandist is offline Find More Posts by sandist
Last edited by sandist; Jun 13, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2013, 03:49 AM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
550 Posts
F5J on a budget

Been watching this thread for a while. I like the ideas in it.

My entry into the world of F5J has been through converting F3J / Open Thermal models into 5J planes when they are past their use by date (for various reasons).

About 5 to 7 years ago I built Supra wings of various forms (all for winch launched Open Thermal models) using the original (and modded) Drela plans and building methods. Over the past few years I have slowly transitioned to pre-built crunchies (Supra Pro and Maxa) because they handle the launch stresses better. This left a stock of used and abused wings and a few fuselages (old slip on nose cone Supra, and broken Maxa fuselage).

Have put together the attached models over the past 18 months or so from the bits pile. I have completely built the tail feathers, although for the Maxa pictured I have used what I had and made a rudder. Motors are Mega 16/20 or 25 series with Kontronic gearboxes (when I can get them). My go to ESC is the Jeti 70A Pro, and I use TP 1300 mAh (65 and now 70C) LiPo.

The wing on the Supra is a 6+ year old bagged wing to original Drela specs (3.4m AG4X series, Kevlar, wrapped spar). The wing on the Maxa is 3.6m with modified AG4X sections (10% thicker, following a conversation with Joe Wurts about 5-6 years ago).

The models fly as well as the glider versions, and provide practice opportunities for Open Thermal when I am too lazy to drag out the winch. Only problem is they are not really suitable for F3J landing practice !

I endorse the idea of using what you have to build up an ALES or F5J model. The lower launch stresses of F5J / ALES has given wings (and models) that are no longer competitive in thermal competition a new lease on life.

Look forward to reading more about your experiences over the coming year.

Hutton
VHO is offline Find More Posts by VHO
Last edited by VHO; Jul 07, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2013, 03:48 AM
Scotland UK
Joined Jan 2005
275 Posts
Hi Hutton
We have obviously been on the same wavelength for some time. I try to use what I have first and work up from there.
I like your quiver of models, please take the time to contribute your ideas to this thread, the more the merrier.
Regards
Ian
sandist is offline Find More Posts by sandist