HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:30 AM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,789 Posts
Discussion
Pearl Harbor 5th mini-submarine mystery solved?

Interesting news...

Pearl Harbor mini-submarine mystery solved?

The "Nova" episode describing the search for the I-16-tou will air Jan. 5.
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:42 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Jap sub penentrates harbor security net and sinks battleship.

That would of been really bad press at the time....no way this would get out.

Can't wait to see the documentary...thanks.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Dec 07, 2009, 06:37 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,543 Posts
That's very interesting. Circumstantial evidence, yes but if they found the remains of this midget mixed in with the LST wreckage, its very strong indeed.

With this latest news, I'm sure someone at Lindberg wishes they had already released their I-20 C1 kit.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:32 PM
Joined Jul 2008
756 Posts
Netcutter
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Old Dec 08, 2009, 01:09 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,382 Posts
The destroyer Ward claimed for years to have opened fire, hit, rammed, and sunk the first of the subs (thus firing the first U.S. shots of the war) but there was never any proof found to back her claims although most texts on the attack confirm it. Robert Ballard tried to locate the sub but it took the U of H people with local knowledge of the currents across the mouth of the harbor to find the sub. In 07 a NUMA/University of Hawaii expedition found the sub complete with a 3 inch shell hole at the base of the conning tower, right where Ward reporting hitting her. Several members of the Ward crew were aboard when they sent down a camera vehicle to look at her.
I have read several accounts of a midget sub being buried in the concrete caisson of the west lock..wonder if this is the one.
Foo
fooman2008 is online now Find More Posts by fooman2008
Last edited by fooman2008; Dec 08, 2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: more
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:29 AM
Owner of SSY
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2005
561 Posts
I do not think that the one torpedo from this sub caused the Oklahoma to Capsize in itself as the author stated, but rather the total of 9 torpedoes that hit the ship in the span of about 8 minutes.
W.L Upshaw is offline Find More Posts by W.L Upshaw
Old Dec 10, 2009, 01:40 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
I imagine you're right, Lee, about those 9 torpedoes that hit the Oklahoma. However, in one of the several Pearl Harbor Day television programs that I watched, it was stated that the midget subs torpedoes were more powerful than the aerial torpedoes that were dropped from the Japanese aircraft. I had never heard that before, and frankly, wonder if it is really true. On some of these programs, an occasional misstatement of fact takes place.
For instance, on one of the programs, it was stated that the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was the first aerial attack on a fleet in history. Not so, according to all other sources. The successful British aerial attack on the Italian fleet at Taranto, Italy in November, 1940, damaged half of Italy's battleships. And the Japanese planners studied the Taranto attack in making their plans for the Pearl Harbor attack. So the above statement is patently false.
The announcer also badly mispronounced Admiral Yamamoto's first name (Isoroku), but that is not that uncommon a mistake in these programs. It's just irritating to see the needless errors and misstatements made on programs like these; you wonder who, if anyone, proofreads the scripts or factchecks the completed programs.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:03 AM
Joined Apr 2008
164 Posts
According to the web site ( http://www.combinedfleet.com/torps.htm ) the aerial torpedoes had less explosives in them.

Andre
amdaylight is offline Find More Posts by amdaylight
Old Dec 11, 2009, 02:50 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,345 Posts
Probably a lack of research by the producers of the doco! Why check for facts when U can make it up and not have to pay someone to do the proper back ground investigation.
Seems to be a common occurence with productions lately.
The Japanese Navy were really fond of usin those damn mini subs, they sunk 3 of em' in Sydney Harbour.
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9