HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2001, 07:41 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,811 Posts
27 cell wing loading

Can anyone tell me, of the current F5B ships out there, which will have the lowest wing loading with a 27 cell setup? How many oz./sq.in. is this when considering only the wing area?
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2001, 08:32 AM
Somewhere in England
Joined Apr 2001
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScotY:
Can anyone tell me, of the current F5B ships out there, which will have the lowest wing loading with a 27 cell setup? How many oz./sq.in. is this when considering only the wing area?
Under the new rules it's likely that all competitive models will weight the same ready to fly. The wing loading will be 75g/dcm (wing and tail area combined).

cwatters is offline Find More Posts by cwatters
Old Jun 21, 2001, 10:06 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,613 Posts
Scot,

Colin Watters is right. F5B planes for FAI competition have always been designed to achieve the maximum allowed surface loading of 75g/dm2 (24.6oz/sqft). In the past, as motors, etc, got lighter, the planes got smaller.
Example: The Surprise 8 (3 years old) achieved the FAI loading at 2002 grams all up weight, while the Surprise 9 (last year's model) did so at about 1850 g.
With the new minimum-weight rule, planes have grown a little: the new Surprise 11 will achieve FAI loading at about 2040g, the Scorpio-T at about 2070g.
If you wanted planes bigger than that, you could use an older design such as the Robbe Limit or the Solitaire Plus, so long as you are aware that they are limited to 15" props. You could also take a suitible 10-cell plane, such as the Simba or the Surprise 7, and install a 26/27 cell system.
Does that answer your question?

Dieter@ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jun 21, 2001, 02:14 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,811 Posts
Thanks for the information. It's a start to answering my questions So, assuming wing loading and minimum weight are limited by the rules, this would mean that most new airframes would be of similar total area? Is it fair to assume that tail areas betweeen different designs will be similar so net wing loading will also be similar?

If there is a now higher minimum weight, where does this weight go to? I guess what I'm really getting at is, with a new design airframe, and an "old" spec power system, will the wing loading get any lower than the quoted ~24 oz/sq.ft? That number scares me a bit!

The reason for all my questions is that I would like to proceed to sneak up on the "ultimate" power thing...yeah, Andy, guess you were right! I can manage 20 oz/sq.ft without problems...but 24??? Sounds like it will be a bit more of a handful to land something like that!

So, it sounds like the Suprise 7 is an option (assume >15" props will work and cells will fit?) or perhaps one of the new rules designs. Any specs on the Surprise 11?
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Jun 22, 2001, 03:23 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
5,999 Posts
Bigger airframes handle higher wing loadings better. An F5D model vs an F5B model, both with 24.6oz wing loading, will handle differently.
I think the new F5B rules call for minimum 2.0 kilo (2000g). Plane manufacturers will push the max 24.6oz/sq/ft wing loading to the edge of this as a performance necessity.

[This message has been edited by Troy (edited 06-22-2001).]
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member