HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Dec 2010
96 Posts
Hi All :-)

i'm a little bit confused and will greatly appreciate your help...

i've managed to setup the rth on the 3pos switch:
top - engage rth
middle, bottom - scroll down the menus
aux1 - select an item in the menu

- can i configure the bottom position to engage the rth?

tested it in the simulator and when switching to top pos the rth engages and the plane start is comming back.
when turning off the tx (turnigy tx9) - rth engages as well.

so far so good.

however, i've read in the manual that i should also set the throttle failsafe:
- how exactly is it related to the rth? when disabling throttle failsafe, rth lokked to be working the same.
does rth triggers the throttle failsafe or is it the other way around?
- why do i need to activate trh using thte throttle fail safe if i can do it using the 3pos switch?
- does 3pos switch actualy activates rth or rth in test mode?
- when rth was working in test mode, my servos were like shaking all the time. is that nomal?
- i saw that rth disengage when i use the sticks - will it also disengage when the guardian is connected and stabilizes the airplane?
- when its working in the simulator, does it mean that the system is configured correctly or are there any other setups i need to make to the EagleTree OSD system?

Best Regards,
guy
guy252 is offline Find More Posts by guy252
Last edited by guy252; Oct 05, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:46 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
If you loose radio signal, then you want it to engage RTH.

In order to assure that RTH is engaged, you set your radio failsafes to level flight, and throttle off, and trimmed all of the way down.

The switch is nice for calibration, and in the case that you loose video.

It is also nice for the easy trip home (if you fee like it).

but you want the RTH to engage if your radio fails. So just like any other model, you have to set your radio failsafes, but in this case you throttle down and trim the throttle all of the way down for your throttle failsafe position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy252 View Post
Hi All :-)

i'm a little bit confused and will greatly appreciate your help...

i've managed to setup the rth on the 3pos switch:
top - engage rth
middle, bottom - scroll down the menus
aux1 - select an item in the menu

- can i configure the bottom position to engage the rth?

tested it in the simulator and when switching to top pos the rth engages and the plane start is comming back.
when turning off the tx (turnigy tx9) - rth engages as well.

so far so good.

however, i've read in the manual that i should also set the throttle failsafe:
- how exactly is it related to the rth? when disabling throttle failsafe, rth lokked to be working the same.
does rth triggers the throttle failsafe or is it the other way around?
- why do i need to activate trh using thte throttle fail safe if i can do it using the 3pos switch?
- does 3pos switch actualy activates rth or rth in test mode?
- when rth was working in test mode, my servos were like shaking all the time. is that nomal?
- i saw that rth disengage when i use the sticks - will it also disengage when the guardian is connected and stabilizes the airplane?
- when its working in the simulator, does it mean that the system is configured correctly or are there any other setups i need to make to the EagleTree OSD system?

Best Regards,
guy
m_beeson is online now Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Dec 2010
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
but you want the RTH to engage if your radio fails. So just like any other model, you have to set your radio failsafes, but in this case you throttle down and trim the throttle all of the way down for your throttle failsafe position.
thanks for the explanation m_besson

so in this case i actually have to ways to engage rth
- create a failsafe event by trimming down the throttle
- use the switch

right?

but if i trim down the throttle and activate the rth - will the osd know to turn on the motor so the airplane can actually fly?

why would i want to use this method when its much easier to use the switch, did i missunderstood something ?

-guy
guy252 is offline Find More Posts by guy252
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
I never use Carlyle metod, but it is there if you need it.

Essentially when you set your failsafes like explained above, you trigger a carlyle method failsafe when you loose radio contact.

Motor:

When you run the servo analysis wizzard, you train your osd where it needs to be in order to fly your plane back to you.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy252 View Post
thanks for the explanation m_besson

so in this case i actually have to ways to engage rth
- create a failsafe event by trimming down the throttle
- use the switch

right?

but if i trim down the throttle and activate the rth - will the osd know to turn on the motor so the airplane can actually fly?

why would i want to use this method when its much easier to use the switch, did i missunderstood something ?

-guy
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
In the servo analysis wizard when it asks you to put your throttle to climbing position. Should you put it to full throttle and the RTH will determine how much throttle to give? OR are you supposed to give a reasonable climbing value yourself? If you don't give it full throttle will it govern the amount of throttle or something? I mean if the plane is a fast plane and the RTH kicks in it would be a little bit crazy if it gives full throttle commands lol.
whosthebaddest is offline Find More Posts by whosthebaddest
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:48 PM
yakum smakum
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
Hello, I am using a futaba 10cag 2.4 and I have a question what should I configure my failsafe settings for on my radio and which setting up the RTH with recievers should I choose on the OSD radio control configuration menu? Please help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steve S.
stevo6739615 is offline Find More Posts by stevo6739615
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:50 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosthebaddest View Post
In the servo analysis wizard when it asks you to put your throttle to climbing position. Should you put it to full throttle and the RTH will determine how much throttle to give? OR are you supposed to give a reasonable climbing value yourself? If you don't give it full throttle will it govern the amount of throttle or something? I mean if the plane is a fast plane and the RTH kicks in it would be a little bit crazy if it gives full throttle commands lol.
Full throttle is not recommended.

It makes setting up the rest of your gains a little more tricky.

It is possible, but not recommended.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:52 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
whosthebaddest,

I usually display my servo deflections throughout the calibration phase, and then I can use the actual value that works best (for cruise, and climb).

If you record it in your ground station, then you can go back and take a couple of notes.

Then you move the stick for that numeric value in the servo analysis wizzard.

-Mike
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:58 PM
yakum smakum
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
By the way I was out today with a friend who is further along than I and I was using my setup with an old futaba 7cap 72mhz and it was glitching so bad (I am certain I have bad old PPM recievers) I almost lost my plane. We where just starting to get the gremlins kicked out of the plane and I was set to do my first RTH test and all *&%$ broke loose, RTH saved the plane for me to get it home here tonight and not mess with the old 7cap and I am installing my 10cag in the plane. Hats off to ealge tree without even testing the RTH is saved my plane!!!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:00 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
PCM (RTH)

and

3 + failsafe channels.

Then you just set your failsafes in your radio to Level flight, and throttle off and trimmed all of the way down.

With the Futaba, it is a little trickier, because you have to set each channel separately.

Once you Maiden the airframe, and get it trimmed to level flight, then you will want to re-set failsafes in the radio, and run servo analysis wizzard again.

each time you make a change to trims or guardian level flight setting, then you want to re-run servo analysis wizzard. This way you teach your osd the new settings.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6739615 View Post
Hello, I am using a futaba 10cag 2.4 and I have a question what should I configure my failsafe settings for on my radio and which setting up the RTH with recievers should I choose on the OSD radio control configuration menu? Please help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steve S.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:05 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
You're lucky.

a very small percentage of airframe setups work (out of the box).

Be sure to test and calibrate until you are sure that it turns to your liking, climbs, decends and levels off, etc.

I usually count on a half a dozen calibration flights, even though I have done it quite a few times.

The first one took me a month to set up, but by the time I had it set up, I had a pretty good grasp on things...

Quote:
By the way I was out today with a friend who is further along than I and I was using my setup with an old futaba 7cap 72mhz and it was glitching so bad (I am certain I have bad old PPM recievers) I almost lost my plane. We where just starting to get the gremlins kicked out of the plane and I was set to do my first RTH test and all *&%$ broke loose, RTH saved the plane for me to get it home here tonight and not mess with the old 7cap and I am installing my 10cag in the plane. Hats off to ealge tree without even testing the RTH is saved my plane!!!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:10 PM
yakum smakum
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
Ok understood, thank you. One more thing, on my 10cag I can program failsafes in all eight of my first channels of which I have the two switches for accessing my onscreen menus and my camera pan and tilt that I have configured on two of my VRA knobs on the radio, should I set those four additional channels to a failsafe at 0% or what? Does that make sense or not?

Thanks Steve S.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:13 PM
yakum smakum
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
Yes, My friend is helping me out and he has a Nova system and does not understand how complex eagle tree is and he is pushing me but in a respectful and helpful way. I should not have been trying to start my testing with my old 7cap system, I should have bit the bullet and went with my new 10cag instead from the start. I cannot believe how lucky I was today. The plane went below the outer tree line of the field and I thought I lost it, and he yelled out to turn off the radio because it was not responding and the RTH kicked in and saved the day, week, month at least, LOL
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:14 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Ok understood, thank you. One more thing, on my 10cag I can program failsafes in all eight of my first channels of which I have the two switches for accessing my onscreen menus and my camera pan and tilt that I have configured on two of my VRA knobs on the radio, should I set those four additional channels to a failsafe at 0% or what? Does that make sense or not?

Thanks Steve S.
Those don't really matter. If you have a preferance to point the camera forward and level, then it won't hurt anything.

I think I have my switches to "hold"

*Edit* (but then that doesn't matter with chainlink. When I set failsafes I better have every stick set to it's desired position, because it sets all channels)...

What is important is the aileron elevator and throttle...
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:17 PM
yakum smakum
Joined Jan 2012
48 Posts
Ready Made sky surfer, stock. 1.3 ghz video, vee antenna(plane), stock antenna(reciever)