HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Sep 2007
486 Posts
I made this one. it was even published on Flying Models.
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:35 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
Hi,

Here's a film clip from 1940 showing a contest, arranged by a club in a small town of Sweden...happy & well dressed aeromodellers of various ages...
It seems they would have needed more winders though...

Unfortunately the film doesn't show too many models in the air, but by reading the faces, you'll get a figure....

Even a Frog Interceptor Fighter is seen, in its box.....

THE CLIP
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Oct 19, 2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:09 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,432 Posts
The good old days. Thanks Bosse.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:28 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,432 Posts
I just built in 2 oz of 'lightness' into the Y-Bay.

Found the '54 Webra Piccolo has the same width radial mount holes as the DC Spitfire/Sabre, and it's about 2 oz lighter than those engines.

Will see where the CG ends up when the model is finished and decide on what engine to use, but I'm keen to use the little Webra that I've had since 1958.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:59 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,358 Posts
Gossie, I hope I'm wrong, but Piccolos are notoriously difficult to start...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the PAW 19RC TBR diesel
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:57 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Gossie, I hope I'm wrong, but Piccolos are notoriously difficult to start...
I'm glad someone bought that up because I've heard and read about that for years.

This little Piccolo was first started by me in the late '50s.....my friend who I had bought it off never ran it.
I was run in as such in a Jnr. Mallard, that also came with it part built, that I finished. It's always started well without a problem. I use a 7 X 4 prop and 1/3 of each home mixed fuel.

Since 1962 it's been in an Aeromodeller 42in. span Luton Minor that flies like a Tomboy, and it's always just fuel it up, flick and fly in a couple of moments.
It even got 2nd place in our '77 and '92 Australian Nats. in scale.
A week ago I decided to refurbish the Luton and before I pulled the motor out I gave it a run in the garage/workshop.
It had been at least a couple of years since it ran but it fired on the second flick and ran on the third.
After about 30 seconds of running I guess when it was well warmed up it blew a shower of sparks out of the exhaust......I guess carbon being blown off......A self de-coke no doubt. It's a great little motor.

A couple of weeks ago one came up on eBay new in the box with the original tank and prop. and it went for $273? U.S. money.
There are two more on at the moment and the one also new in the box has a buy it now price of 300 Euros. I think they are in Germany?

Mine has no box or original prop. but it does have and uses the original tank in the Luton.
The head on mine is a little faded but recently I won an as new fresh looking head and a new crankcase off NZ eBay for it......I don't intend to pull the head to change it over as perhaps the liner may unscrew and upset the fits of the engine as it is.
It starts and goes too well to do, that to it.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:03 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
516 Posts
Free flight in the Sun

Hello,
We had some great flights last Sunday with my sons freeflight model,i bought it for him at this years BMFA Nats .Powered by an original Mills 0,75 and spanning 36 inches its very well built and flies as good as it looks,
cheers Euan.
egall232 is offline Find More Posts by egall232
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:34 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,123 Posts
That secon picture is worth a 1000 words, yes ?? What is the model ?
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
That secon picture is worth a 1000 words, yes ?? What is the model ?
Looks like a Vic Smeed Courtesan to me - and very nice too!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:52 AM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
516 Posts
Free flight

Hello,
Sorry but i can offer no more info on my sons model, Cameron is 11 yrs old and has very little intrest in R/C flying but enjoys free flight.He was very lucky to be gifted a p30 rubber model that arrived this week and this will keep him occupied while i fly my R/c models ,i have also just finished restoring a small co2 power pylon model called The Little little Kid its around 20 inches span .
The p30 has a dt system fitted and came with plenty of fuse , can anyone tell me how long it will burn between the red lines??,
cheers Euan.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:34 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egall232 View Post
Cameron is 11 yrs old and has very little intrest in R/C flying but enjoys free flight.
!
There's still some hope for Mankind, after all.....
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:34 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egall232 View Post
Hello,
The p30 has a dt system fitted and came with plenty of fuse , can anyone tell me how long it will burn between the red lines??,
cheers Euan.
It's a long time since I used a fuse DT, but in those days it used to burn approximately 90 seconds between marks. To be sure I suggest you do a test burn, but be sure to do it outside with a breeze blowing as it will burn rather quicker then. And if it doesn't already have one, it is advisable (as is required by contest rules) to fit a snuffer tube to the model so that when the DT band has burned through the fuse is not ejected but stays in the tube and goes out.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:00 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,546 Posts
You're in the Morley Club, Egall?
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:13 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
516 Posts
Free flight,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
You're in the Morley Club, Egall?
no sorry not a member but i think the model used to belong to one of its former members.
Thanks for the info on the dt fuse and yes both models have an ali tube fitted for the fuses to burn in,
cheers Euan.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:02 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,546 Posts
> one of its former members

Yep, Graham Sedgewick - not sure if he's 'former' or presently active
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney