HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:47 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
Build Log
Fiat G 91 build and fly

So my Fiat G 91 which I ordered back in December finally arrived today . Mine arrived with a small amount of box damage after its voyage from Germany but the contents were untouched. The kit (PNP) comes with everything you need to fly except an Rx and 6S 5,000 may flight battery. Servo's are all pre-installed, the tail surfaces need to be attached along with some pushrod, a few crevices and the landing gear installed in the wing. The nose unit is in, a probe, some wing tanks and fences etc. Also need gluing on.

Those interested today in the US should give Sebart USA a call as they now have some in stock! On to the build:
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:56 PM
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
The instructions begin with some well written words describing the model, required additional equipment and typical warnings. All the critical info on control throws, cg location and recommendations for various Pl-mixes to enhance flight ops are well described. The actual assembly sequence is well illustrated with pictures but completely wordless. So I will add some words to the process
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:11 PM
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
You can waste a surprising amount of time at the soldering bench. The kit comes with the interesting looking XT150 connectors in the plane, they supply one mating set. Either for your pack or for an adapter. All my bigger jets use 6mm bullets in polarized housed, ever since I vaporized an unpolarized 5.5mm bullet by plugging a packs black into its red. The ensuing 18 inch diameter fireball was not fun and the pin just ceased to exist. So I now polarize everything and made up an adapter as shown.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:05 PM
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
A little video action of the nose gear and parachute mechanism

WP_20140324_21_30_36_Pro.mp4 (0 min 31 sec)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:27 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,059 Posts
pretty cool ...what are feeling about this plane ? what is the fit and finish like ? give us the scoop ,looks to be a great flying plane .are you going to fly with the stock set up ?
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:54 PM
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
Fit and finish is very nice so far, everything seems nicely thought out. Flaws? I found a broken clevis on the nose gear steering, but they do supply a couple spares. I've also found 1 loose hinge on an elevator. Paint is very nice, given that it is foam!

Ran up the fan once on a less than half charged pack, it drew 60 amps so maybe 75ish on a fully charged pack? Seemed pretty smooth. I've pulled it out to check further. Dunno, I suspect I'll upgrade later but yes, I will give it a go stock to start with.

The gear by the way looks to be the same gear used on the Freewing Me-262 I flew last weekend, that is a good thing as they have metal trunion and were tough enough for my rough grass field.
Last edited by Chris True; Mar 25, 2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:48 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,059 Posts
Great thread so far.keep us posted. Was shipping from Germany expensive? What did the kit cost if you dont mind me asking.I know they cost a bit but it has some really cool details that a lot of kits dont have.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:57 AM
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
Shipping was appr. 48 euros. The kit was basically 500 euros at the time I ordered, quite a lot but I wanted it . I understand the intro price at Sebart USA is better. - Correction, invoice was 450 euro + 48.41 euro shipping.

Anyway, guess I have a thing for drag chutes <g>.
Last edited by Chris True; Mar 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Correct price
Old Mar 25, 2014, 03:54 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,062 Posts
Mama Mia I like this jet What brand connectors are you using and where do you buy them? It looks like the plastic housing could be sliced in two and used in series?
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:10 AM
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
They are HXT 6mm, http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...0pcs_set_.html

Out of stock at the moment, sign up for an e-mail notification and order a bunch when they come in stock. I buy 5 or 10 bags at a time, a bargain @ a buck a pair.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:09 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
6,832 Posts
Boy I know what you mean about wasting time at the soldering bench. I've got 10 servo extensions to solder, two flight packs a series adapter with anti-spark and CC BEC lead to make not to mention the motor/esc connection for my F-100. Also have a new motor and ESC run to make for my ol' Bandito as it's getting a new rotor (Midi-Evo in a TJ90 shroud on 3500 watts). I've been putting it off but it's getting time I can no longer do so... I have some soldering to do, too! PS I settled on EC5's about 5 years back after seeing a mini nuclear cloud appear inside a friend's jet when the wrong metal parts touched. Glad you didn't get burned Chris! This stuff get's scary sometimes.

I'm being an airfoil geek but it almost looks like a NACA 23012 airfoil seeing your wings in the stands. OK, I'm back to normal... no more aero-geek stuff for now (sorry been scratch building and airfoil shopping for the last few months) Yeah I like that stand too. Everything looks really good Chris. I love the parachute rig... super cool. Gear looks great, nice to have reliability and durability there. Your G-91 is a good looking jet, a unique subject too and it seems to have a very nice layout - just looks like it will be a delight to fly in a Sabre sorta way but a lot of differences that will set it apart.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; Mar 25, 2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:28 AM
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
First flaw, one of the elevator hinges at the tip of one stab was non-functional as installed. Not too hard to fix
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:36 AM
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
PS I settled on EC5's about 5 years back after seeing a mini nuclear cloud appear inside a friend's jet when the wrong metal parts touched. Glad you didn't get burned Chris! This stuff get's scary sometimes.
Oh, I got burned My right hand was almost completely black palm and top side with some decently large blisters. Hurt like hell for a while, a clubmate handed me his extra large iced tea. I submerged my hand in that ice filled fluid for at least a half hour.

Then I flew a few more flights

Over the next week I peeled off a pretty large amount of skin on my index finger, thumb, palm and over on to the top. No long term problems though. I'm sure the iced tea saved me