HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:24 PM
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Feb 2012
74 Posts
Discussion
Hitec X1 no longer fully charges batteries

I've had my X1 AC plus for a couple years, and after my flight times started to get really short I started checking my voltages after i finished charging and found out that even the charger says 12.6 volts (3 cells) that when I plug in the voltage meter each cell is at 4.15 or lower? I pulled out my old tenergy balance charger and it was able to charge all the packs to a perfect 4.2 per cell so I'm thinking that there is something up with my charger. Any ideas?

I have several different brands and ages of batteries, but even my brand new 2200 mah 3cell Eflite battery would only charge to between 4.10 and 4.15 per cell until I put it on my other charger....
hermanmango is offline Find More Posts by hermanmango
Last edited by hermanmango; Mar 21, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:27 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,933 Posts
Um...get a new one? Talk to Hitec?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:09 AM
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Feb 2012
74 Posts
well I'd rather not have to get a new one if this is fixable, but whats a decent cheap charger, this one was fairly expensive if i remember correctly and hasn't seemed to have been worth it if I indeed need a new one.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:45 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,009 Posts
hermanmango,

I've had a similar problem with two 4-port chargers, a Hitec and a Hobby King. At random, either charger, on any port, will not fully charge a pack, either 2S or 3S, from 450 mAh to 1300 mAh. The charger will report 4.2 volts per cell, but when I check with a meter, one or both cells will be as low as 4.10 volts. A subsequent recharge will bring the cell(s) up, most times.

I've learned to live with the problem, not being in the mood to spend more dough to achieve perfection in this hobby.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Mar 22, 2014, 05:47 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,790 Posts
Your charger is a Skyrc charger rebranded by Hitec and not my cup of tea,however you paid money to be cover'd by Hitec who are the best in the business when it comes to aftersales service,so send it in.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:01 PM
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Feb 2012
74 Posts
alright, I'll get a hold of them, maybe the money will have been worth it after all. thanks for the info.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:20 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,313 Posts
Wait a sec.
A voltage of 4.15 vs 4.2V/cell?
How much difference in capacity do you think that makes in the battery?

About 5%. That will not cause really short flying times!

IMO, the problem is more with your batteries than with the charger. As batteries get old they charge to lower voltages due to the higher IR. That is a perfectly normal situation. I seriously doubt you will see any difference with a new charger with those packs.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the charger. Matter of fact, charging to only 4.1 to 4.15V/cell greatly increases the cycle life of the battery. Your batteries are probably shot or very cold when flying.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:03 PM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
522 Posts
A charger may read 4.20v per cell at charge end. This is usually with some level of charge current applied, (C/10, C/20) When the charge current is stopped, the cells start to drop to the actual charged voltage. My typical voltages after a few minutes are between 4.18 and 4.19 v per cell.
Older Lipos may be less, and newer ones a bit closer to 4.20v.
Actually, a better indication of the lipo's condition is cell voltage drop under load.
I just changed a 6S 5000mah lipo to no fly status, because one cell is showing a consistent voltage drop under light load well below the others. (40+mv @6A) The cell IR is also much higher than the others.

Differences in charger's balance and end of charge detection, along with component tolerance may also account for a part of the difference.
Some chargers have options that can improve end of charge voltage and balance for a given lipo, usually at the expense of increased charge times.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:10 PM
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Feb 2012
74 Posts
I mentioned earlier that one of the batteries experiencing this problem is a brand new Eflite 2200 Mah 3s, by brand new I mean it has been charged and used twice, and I've owned it a little over a week now. the problem also is happening with other batteries that work just fine when charged on my old and basic airsoft balance charger, which charges them right up to 4.2 without any problem. If my super cheap airsoft charger could charge my 6cell edf batteries I'd just stick with that. This charger used to work fine, and has recently started having this problem.