HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:50 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
1,660 Posts
Discussion
So Cal beach locations for flying an Libelle?

So I had this idea that it would be fun to take my camper rig to So Cal and spend a week parking along the beach area during the day and flying my soon to have Libelles to my hearts content. I am imaging beach areas with a slight slope to surf on. Would this be allowed on semi populated beach area's? Some more isolated cliff spots would be on my list too but flying within sight of bikini's sounds best.
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:23 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,763 Posts
Elkski:

Go over to the Slope Forum and check out the San Diego, Bluffs Park (Long Beach) and Bills (Oceanside) threads. Also check out the Libelle thread there... a bunch of slopers will be flying Libelles soon.

Dawson

P.S. If you are ever passing through Flagstaff, AZ, let me know. We have some great slopes.

P.P.S. If you get to Santa Barbara, make sure you visit Dream-Flight and maybe get a chance to fly with Michael Richter. He is super helpful and a wonderful pilot.
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:46 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
1,660 Posts
I am also interested in places along HWY 1 Like up Santa Barbara way.
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:26 PM
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jun 2001
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
I am also interested in places along HWY 1 Like up Santa Barbara way.
Hey Elski,

Here you go: http://www.sbslopers.org/index.php?pid=2

I have flown ellwood blufs a few times and its great. Also if you have a motorhome agreat place to park on the 1 is by Rincon. My parents do that all the time and my dad flys electrics on the beach, but there is a great spot above old town Ventura called the "cross" and if you have a car in tow, you can stay in Rincon and drive to the cross to fly.

Also just up from rincon is a small Paraglidersite but its not too popular for PG so people fly here too and its a nice mellow beach slope lift site.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=r...us&mra=ls&z=14

Best regards,

Marc
thrmaln is offline Find More Posts by thrmaln
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:55 PM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,022 Posts
Home of the Weasel fest.

http://binged.it/1cTB2Xb
Endless Sloper is offline Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:56 PM
Shoreline, WA
Joined May 2004
348 Posts
So Cal Slopes

Not on the beach, but two slopes In Pacific Palisdes, CA that I'm pretty sure are still available, are located on the North and South of Temescal Canyon Rd. from the Pacific Coast Highway. You have to go up Temescal and then go left or right.

To the left, or North, drive to the end of Mt. Holyoke Ave. Fairly long slope facing the Pacific ocean. My wife, Barbara Henon, Chris Adams and myself all did our 8 hour slope flight on that slope.

To the right, or South, drive to the end of Asilomar Blvd. The road has a gate as the cliff slides from time to tome. Just past the gate is the slope locals call "The Point". Good lift there as well.

I agree with on lister who complained that the "Search" is the worst thing in RC Groups. On Bing I found:

http://slopeflyer.com/soaring/califo...nia-south.html

Good luck and post your adventures!

Richard S.
LSF226 is offline Find More Posts by LSF226