HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2014, 09:12 AM
United States, IA, Glenwood
Joined Feb 2014
211 Posts
Discussion
Dynam T-28 as First RC Plane?

Hi my name is Aaron, and I am 15. I have started getting into and researching this hobby. I practice on a SIM everyday and I think I am ready for the real thing now. I have done research, and watched MANY youtube videos, and I have come to the conclusion that I would like to start out with the Dynam T-28. I know that this might not be the best first choice, but I am confident in my flying abilities. Does this sound like a disaster waiting to happen? Any advice is helpful so let me know what you think! Also, I would like to hear your stories of your first warbird flights. If you had a warbird as your first rc plane, how was your first maiden flight?
Birdboy33 is offline Find More Posts by Birdboy33
Last edited by Birdboy33; Mar 04, 2014 at 02:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:40 PM
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
444 Posts
G'day Aaron,
The T-28 is a good first warbird but I would recommend that you build up to it.
Get a trainer type high wing model, the go to a low wing once you (or your instructor) think you have that on rails, then go to the warbirds.
I purchased my T-28 (a FMS 1.4m) and sat her on the bench as a goal to work towards.
I found the changes from one type to another fairly easy but I did do the steps. The old saying goes you have to crawl before you can walk.
Flight sims really only give you a very small part of the picture and really do leave you with a lot to learn as well. Do they help, yes they most certainly do but I would not expect anyone new to the game to fly a model purely after training on the simulator. It is a different beast altogether. I have the Phoenix flight sim and the T-28 in the sim, even scaled up, is much easier to fly with the sim than in the wild so to speak. Much easier.
Start small, think big and you will have a lot more fun and it will not cost you as much in the long run.
Regards and respect
Daryl
wrongroad is online now Find More Posts by wrongroad
Old Mar 05, 2014, 06:16 AM
Joined Aug 2012
387 Posts
+1 Sims are no substitute for the real thing.

Many people on the other threads you started have advised you to do the same, start with something easier and work your way up to a warbird. It is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth.

How long it takes you to work up to a warbird depends on how well things go with the easier models. It would really help if you had instruction from a club or an experienced mentor/flying buddy. Leaping into warbirds based on your performance on a Sim would be like strapping you into an F-16, based on your performance on a flight sim.

Let us know how your flying goes, there will always be great tips from here.

Good luck, Have fun!
GREEN_MACHINE is offline Find More Posts by GREEN_MACHINE
Old Mar 05, 2014, 07:13 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
1,686 Posts
Whats your aviation background ? Real flight ? Flight sims ? How much of it ?

I started rc with a dynam catalina from water... After 6 flights I flew a PZ Wildcat.. 6 flights later a parkzone P-47...

Right now I can fly almost anything from a narrow paved road.

I'd say it all depends of your personal experience and knowledge about the "flying" science.
Shung is online now Find More Posts by Shung
Old Mar 05, 2014, 08:52 AM
United States, OK, Guymon
Joined Apr 2011
50 Posts
If you're dead set on a T-28, I would go with a bone stock Parkzone over the Dynam. It makes a decent trainer and parts are all over. Also, it is significantly less complicated with fixed landing gear, no flaps, lights, etc. It was a good training platform and handled most everything I threw at it.
panhndl is offline Find More Posts by panhndl
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:17 AM
Joined Feb 2014
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shung View Post
Whats your aviation background ? Real flight ? Flight sims ? How much of it ?

I started rc with a dynam catalina from water... After 6 flights I flew a PZ Wildcat.. 6 flights later a parkzone P-47...

Right now I can fly almost anything from a narrow paved road.

I'd say it all depends of your personal experience and knowledge about the "flying" science.
I practice for about an hour everyday on the simulator I have. I am actually studying to become and aeronautical engineer so I know quite a bit about planes. Will this help me?
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdboy33 View Post
I practice for about an hour everyday on the simulator I have. I am actually studying to become and aeronautical engineer so I know quite a bit about planes. Will this help me?
No offence, but you are 15, never flown even a basic rc plane and only have sim experience. Sim experience alone will not help you as much as you think, you need to get some stick time on a basic trainer.
GREEN_MACHINE is offline Find More Posts by GREEN_MACHINE
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:28 AM
Joined Feb 2014
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN_MACHINE View Post
No offence, but you are 15, never flown even a basic rc plane and only have sim experience. Sim experience alone will not help you as much as you think, you need to get some stick time on a basic trainer.
I think I will get the trojan, but if I am too scared or uncomfortable with it, I will put it aside before I completely ruin it
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:32 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdboy33 View Post
It could.

How old are you ? Have you practised flight simulators in the past (and i mean, like the Il2 serie, or even Microsoft FS, or things like that ?) ? extensively ?

how familiarised are you with the flight behaviours or aeroplanes and other flying things ?

If you have a very good understanding of how planes behaves, and why, and when, then yes, I would say it could help. A lot. It did in my case. (few hundred hours of flight, but thousand and thousands of hours of various kind of flight sim.. from PC to professional, to military)

Now, if your only experience is a few hours on an RC flight sim for a few weeks, that might not be enough.

The RC flight sims are good for one thing. Your fingers muscle memory... inverted ailerons and rudder response while flying toward you, for example. But RC flight sim ALONE won't really prepare you to the anomalus event of flying, such as tip stalls, spins, wind gusts etc.

Edit: i've read that you are 15.. thats certainly not the best from an experience standpoint, but its great for other things. You're muscle memory will be much faster to acquire, and you are certainly familiar with joystick, ministicks etc etc...

Just a question.... If I were to put you on a simulator ( like Il2, Flight Simulator, or even DCS, which are NOT RC simulators), would you be able to safely land any plane in it without any other help or explanation ?

If the answer is yes (and that you don't doubt it one second) , id say go and try a T-28.

if the answer is no, or you are not sure, I'd say get a trainer, or at least someone experienced to fly with you first
Last edited by Shung; Mar 05, 2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:34 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
7,938 Posts
Flight sims really work if there like Real Flight. I have 2 friends that fly Helis and did most on a sim and there really great heli pilots. The best plane I would learn on is the Fun Cub from Multiplex . Or get yourself a Eflite Apprentice except take that stupid SAFE out of it. Learn the hard way like we all did.
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:41 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
1,686 Posts
btw, this was my maiden flight with a Warbird. Before that I had only flown a Dynam Catalina from water, 6 times and with no crashes--- and honestly flying the catalina is MUCH harder than flying this wildcat.

Parkzone F4F Wildcat maiden (5 min 50 sec)

if you are confident, my only concern with you starting with a T-28 would be the landing... where would you fly from ? pavement or grass ? how big would the place be..?

ps: i know lots of people won't agree with me on here, but aviation knowledge, and flight sim practice (RC and NOT RC) will help a lot.

4 month ago I had never flown an RC airplane.. same as anyone in my family... well, I can tell you that i was LIGHT YEARS ahead of them before even pushing that first throttle foward....
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:45 AM
Joined Feb 2014
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shung View Post

if you are confident, my only concern with you starting with a T-28 would be the landing... where would you fly from ? pavement or grass ? how big would the place be..?
I will be taking off from pavement, and hopefully landing on pavement, such as a large parking lot, or even the track by the Football field.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:51 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
1,686 Posts
its important that you get something wide enough. The hard part of a RC landing is not to flare well, at the right height or moment, but to line up correctly and to roll out straight.

Have you flown PC flight sims in the past ?
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:53 AM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
748 Posts
Parkzone T-28 is what you want, with at least a DX6I. Have someone help you set up the model and the radio.
The only other model I have owned that is its equal is the Fly-zone Millennium Master.
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:56 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
1,686 Posts
also, when you feel you are ready, come here for airplane specific advices again. the people here helped me a lot back in november.