HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:29 AM
deanz406
Latrobe, Pa.
Joined Oct 2010
62 Posts
Discussion
Electric to Glow Conversion- Mr Mulligan

I saw in the electric forums that there was an open discussion about glow to electric conversions, but none here to do an electric to glow conversion.
I want to do a glow conversion to the Great Planes Electrify Mr Mulligan that I have. I'm not really into electrics, and would like to install a Saito 4 stroke motor into my plane. I haven't seen anyone doing this, and no subject matter on this, so I thought I would like to open a discussion on the feasibility, and what some of you fellow flyers thought about the idea.
I am going to go about this with looking at the construction of the plane, its weak, and strong points, and go from there. I'll look at all the aspects of the factory construction, and make decisions on motor placement, fuel tank installation, and any necessary modifications to the forward structure. In weighing the electric components that I have for the electric installation(motor, 4s batt packs, esc), I have weighed the components that I require for a 4 stroke application, and they are fairly close, with a slight weight increase allowing for a full tank of fuel.
If anyone has any suggestions, or input on this modification, your input would be greatly appreciated- SO What are ur thoughts ??
Thanks-- Dean
deanz406 is offline Find More Posts by deanz406
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:32 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
Never heard of anyone doing that before! But I would be intrested in seeing how you work this out.

I would assume that this would be a fair amount of work. You will most likely need to strip away much of the covering to beef up the plane. Glow engines vibrate a whole lot more than electrice planes...

I wish I could provide you with more help, but I think you might be a pioneer with this one! Post your progress here and others will chime in.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:33 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,028 Posts
it is totally doable here is my old school extra 260!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=old+school

I just reinforced the motor box, and closed up the firewall, and double checked the glue joints, I.E. wicking some thin CA on all reachable joints!

think I burned out the servo's(over voltage) but she was still flying till then!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ghosts of airplanes past!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:02 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
842 Posts
Electric planes are designed out of lighter wood parts, because there is almost no shaking from an electric motor. It is easier to modify a glow plane for electric, than an electric plane for glow.

Some of the gas engines (DLE) shake a lot more than others (Evo). So, I think that there is a hierarchy of shaking, and so strength needed.

The whole front end (firewall back to wing tube) needs to be strengthened with plywood. Servos will need rubber shock absorbers. Electric power systems can be lighter than glow/gas, so the tail will probably be light. You may be able to sheet the rear fuselage, for strength, and a bit more weight. Good luck.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:11 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
I think he may go glow rather than gas, which would help some with vibrations...
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:03 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Any progress on this mod?
What size glow are you gonna use?
I was thinking my Saito 56 might work nicely!
Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:39 PM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
401 Posts
Just looked at the airframe in question and I think it can be done fairly easily. I converted an e-flight pawnee 25 several years ago to use an os 25 and had reall good results until the elevator servo gave out. Not the engines fault, I was using a 9gram servo that was in it when I got it, my bad.
Anyway all I did was figure out how much I had to shorten the firewall for the glow engine to fit, then I boxed in the remaining 'MOTOR BOX" with some thin light ply and made a new firewall.
The fuel tank fit right in where the battery should go and If I remember correctly, the receiver, flight battery and a hidden switch did as well. The neat thing about electric birds is they give you such a large hatch up front you can just toss all the other stuff in and don't spoil the looks with switches, filler tubes and all the usual knobbly bits you would otherwise have to stick on the outside.
I must hand it to the E designers, they make some pretty birds, and really should consider offering a glow conversion motor box on some of their smaller stuff.
I have seen an great planes se-5a with a .10la in it fly, and well too, but in my opinion that's just being hard headed at that size. Some things are just supposed to be dry!
Jim
mosquitowings is offline Find More Posts by mosquitowings
Old Dec 16, 2013, 07:15 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
I'm converting an Electric Pitts to glow...wasn't gonna say anything 'till it's done,but since you started it.....

A good glue joint won't come apart from the vibration of a glow engine.
Electric airframes aren't weak, glow ones are overbuilt.
Electric motors have more torque to twist fuselages, yet they don't break.
Electric planes are heavier than glow on a regular basis.
Electric flyers think it's sacrilege to convert-they'll insist it won't work.
Glow is less expensive as costs go,and over the long haul, you'll spend the same amount for either type.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2013, 07:48 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Glow is less expensive as costs go,and over the long haul, you'll spend the same amount for either type.
A couple of years ago on the Heli Freaks helicopter forum one of the members had two of the same model helicopter. One glow, the other electric.

He said the same thing. At the end of the day (life cycle) the cost to fly was almost identical. Glow is less expensive up front but the cost of fuel drives up the cost of operation as , in his opinion, did the vibration of the glow motor. The electric was expensive up front, but the the cost to operate was very inexpensive.

I say pick your poison.
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Start of a new chapter.