HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:19 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Oct 2012
83 Posts
Discussion
Large Scale J-3 Cub kit ? Best kit?

I have been looking at the different large J-3 Cub kits on the market and there are a bunch of them . From experience what ones are the better kits and the best flying models when finished ? My other question is if you have built one before would you want another one or did it just get boring to fly ?

I used Great Hobbies because they were easy to search .
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=BUS438

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=GPMA0162

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=SIGRC82

I know its a J2 but it is a close model .
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=UVH016

Kevin
AMX North is offline Find More Posts by AMX North
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:23 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,811 Posts
I've built, or been around all but the Unionville kit.

The other 3 are excellent choices.

The GP kit would be the easiest build, but I like the flying qualities of the Sig and BUSA offerings better.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:01 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
If you're considering my penchant for building "Cubs", this is my 7th for various customers.

Sig kits build a little heavier, but it doesn't affect the flying at all..Balsa USA are my choice for contract builds, but I modify the wings/cabin top for 'wing tubes', a much more convenient way of mounting the wings.....the wings attach in a jiffy, and there's no awkward holding them trying to mount them as designed.

None of these use gas engines in my builds, all use 4 cycle glow...The largest engine is the current build, with a 1.60 Magnum twin .

Bud Nosen kits can still be found pre-owned on line,and they are very similar to the BUSA ones.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2013, 07:43 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Oct 2012
83 Posts
Thanks guys it sounds like BUSA and SIG are a little more favored . I have not built or flown anything this large before but from what I have read the Cub is a nice plane to fly . Epoxyearl do you have some pics of your wing modification ? I would love to see how it is done .
Thanks
Kevin
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:53 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Oct 2012
83 Posts
Thanks epoxyearl Very nice work ! I love the idea and I will definitely be using that idea .
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:46 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,657 Posts
SIG was, likely still Is, the one to get.
Also a slooow build, I would guess there are dozens of these as half built /abandoned in workshops.
Cubs All fly easily it's the definitive easy flier design.
Although I now prefer a bit smaller models. Transport and storage are genuine problems.
Current J3 is 28" span, I can fly it in front of my house and I can hangar it on my desk.
No small advantage that :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:28 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Oct 2012
83 Posts
Thanks Bare
I don`t mind a slow build as I enjoy the building as much as flying and do it as a winter project to get me away from mindless TV. I noticed Sig has several different Cub`s listed and was thinking about possibly a middle size might be a way to go . You have a good point about the storage and as the amount of planes grow the storage seems to shrink .
Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:07 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Oct 2012
83 Posts
As some of you may have seen in the J3 Cub pictures thread I ended up with a 1/6 SigJ3 Cub kit . Now I would love to hear ideas and tips for building this plane . Interior , Door , wing tubes, scale stitching and other scale modifications. I will not be starting this until close to Christmas and hope to have it ready for spring flying . Any help or ideas greatly appreciated
Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:23 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
Fitting up those two wires at the instrument panel and the wing center section can be a little time consuming...I fit them closely as I can, then remove them to solder them together at the wing joint. After soldering, I spread the fuselage legs a little bit. That keeps them tight to the fuselage, as you epoxy them in place.

Those upright spruce and balsa pieces that support the front of the wing from the fuselage at the windshield need careful epoxying, for strength.

The airplane comes out extremely light.....don't be afraid of a little extra glue here and there.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:59 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Oct 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Fitting up those two wires at the instrument panel and the wing center section can be a little time consuming...I fit them closely as I can, then remove them to solder them together at the wing joint. After soldering, I spread the fuselage legs a little bit. That keeps them tight to the fuselage, as you epoxy them in place.

Those upright spruce and balsa pieces that support the front of the wing from the fuselage at the windshield need careful epoxying, for strength.

The airplane comes out extremely light.....don't be afraid of a little extra glue here and there.
Thanks those are great tips ! And they are exactly the type of tips I am looking for
Old Nov 02, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,379 Posts
Here's my looonnnng 1/6 scale Sig Cub build thread on the Scale Electric Plane forum. Started out as a .40 glow project in the 70's, switched to electric power in the 80's, finishing up now getting ready to maiden.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1754853
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged