HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:01 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwick View Post
I have tried this on my Windows 8.1 PC and my Windows 7 laptop with the same results.
Driver-Win7/Vista was installed on both machines. When the cables are connected, both machines show the Silicon Labs CP210x UART Bridge (COM3), working properly, in the device manager.
When I run frsky_update_Sport.exe it finds the cable on Port 3 but in the lower left corner I get the message COM 3 file not available I never see the finding device message. If I select the file button it looks for a .frk file which it can’t find.
I got the cables from Aloft and I have followed the How to upgrade FrSky Smart Port (S.Port) enabled products.PDF through step 3 and I get this.
I think that's a typo. Should read "COM12 connected. File not available, click File Button to load updated firmware file".

I think you need to migrate to the frk file location and open it manually. I don't think it searches for it automatically.
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:04 PM
wick
United States, NC, Saluda
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
I ran into this. As I recall, you must follow the instructions to the letter, even if it seems odd. I seem to recall that it involves when, during the process, you connect the cable. I seem to recall you start the program before plugging in the cable, it says it is searching, you plug in the cable and then it locates the device....
If I openFrSky_SPORT_tool_20140221.exe first then connect the cable it will not find the device on any port with or without the vario connected. In the instructions: step 1 install driver, Step 2 Connect SPC to FrUSB-3/FUC-3 and then connect to the computer USB. Step 3: Run “frsky_update_Sport.exe” program. Step 4: Plug the S.PORT Interface of SPC to the Smart Port.
jdwick is offline Find More Posts by jdwick
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:05 PM
wick
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post
I think that's a typo. Should read "COM12 connected. File not available, click File Button to load updated firmware file".

I think you need to migrate to the frk file location and open it manually. I don't think it searches for it automatically.
My device manager tells me it’s on com 3…the Windows 7 machine will let me try Com 12 but it’s not there. I did a search but can find no .frk files…the vario update file I downloaded is VARIO2_140124.rar
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:15 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
251 Posts
Must be that the device driver is not properly installed on your Win7 machine. Best to inspect the com ports in the Device manager of the Control Panel.

You need to extract the frk from the RAR file. I used "Free RAR Extract Frog" to "unrar" the frk file.

Too bad RAR is popular in China. They should be using ZIP, as Windows has a built-in extract from ZIP in the File Manager.
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:20 PM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
628 Posts
Every windows user should install 7-zip. It's excellent, free, has full desktop integration and supports most compression types.
Noircogi is online now Find More Posts by Noircogi
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:24 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post

Now, if OpenTx let you set the vibration pattern - three short bursts , or a long - short - long.....that might give it some legs.
The Futaba 14sg has patterns. You can pick patterns of long and short bursts. Having hearing loss, it is very important for me. Their audio alarms are very low in volume so vibration is the only way I can use it. I use a long burst to tell me that the timer has timed out and a series of short bursts when current consumption is criticsl.

Taranis audio alarms are loud enough, UNLESS there is noise nearby. Then, I can't hear the audio and vibration would be really nice; PROVIDING we can select different patterns. I haven't found haptic in v1.99 yet, and I've played with it quite a bit.

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:27 PM
wick
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post
Must be that the device driver is not properly installed on your Win7 machine. Best to inspect the com ports in the Device manager of the Control Panel.

You need to extract the frk from the RAR file. I used "Free RAR Extract Frog" to "unrar" the frk file.

Too bad RAR is popular in China. They should be using ZIP, as Windows has a built-in extract from ZIP in the File Manager.
That was the ticket extracted the frk , selected it with SPORT connected the vario and everything is working. I had no idea that I had to extract the file…I had 7zip many years and many computers ago but…
Thanks everyone for all the help.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 08:07 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,295 Posts
Coming back to failsafe for a moment - what are your preferred setting in the taranis??

1) Flat spin
2) Hold
3)Glide (setting) - and fly away
4)??

I'm thinking flat spin.....someone awhile back suggested putting the settings on a switch, so you can actually test it out (then turn it off - if not tuned properly).

Thoughts

(if this should be somewhere else...let me know)
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Apr 19, 2014, 08:14 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
4,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
Coming back to failsafe for a moment - what are your preferred setting in the taranis??

1) Flat spin
2) Hold
3)Glide (setting) - and fly away
4)??

I'm thinking flat spin.....someone awhile back suggested putting the settings on a switch, so you can actually test it out (then turn it off - if not tuned properly).

Thoughts

(if this should be somewhere else...let me know)
This is another one of those "depends upon your situation" questions. If you're in them middle of the toolies with no trees around as I am the throttle off and glide setting isn't a bad option. If you're in a residential area then spin it in might be an option to keep from injuring people or ending in traffic.If you're in a rural clearing with lots of trees around then flat spin or repeated stall makes sense to me.

I don't think there is any right answer. But some guys I've talked to have very strong opinions in this regard.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Apr 19, 2014, 09:14 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
836 Posts
I was excited about the haptic feedback until I read the above post regarding its practical use. I thought I would use it for alarms. But it's not like I am going to look down at the transmitter. Voice is more useful.
I would like to see a six axis accelerometer. That has a lot of potential. You could even fly with it. It would work great for beginners too. Beginners fly their transmitter anyway. Or linked to a camera gimble, triggering flight modes, or manuevers, or even R rated audio files with certain motions. Sorry.
Another thing I would like is stick switches. I do a lot of switch flipin during a sequence.

So....Where do i send my request and where do I send a check so the big two TX company don't beat them to it. You know they will. Jeti does.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Money and the RC hobby.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 09:59 PM
Yet another flying K1W1
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2006
455 Posts
Hi all,

I'm just about to receive my Taranis (I hope ) and I'd like to know if it's possible to output the telemetry data via rs232 to an external device (PC, micro proc etc). I'm interested particularly in the gps data - lat/long/height (I'll be sending that via the model rx). I've read lots of telemetry related posts but I haven't found anything definitive on this question.

Thanks
41south is online now Find More Posts by 41south
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:22 AM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,277 Posts
Why do you want to output telemetry? After the flight? You know that Taranis outputs telem to an onboard SD card?

This question is possibly slightly off topic but what's the difference between CPPM as outputted by the FRsky S_BUS to CPPM converter and the PPM required by some flight controllers? Thanks!
Matty12 is online now Find More Posts by Matty12
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:49 AM
Yet another flying K1W1
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2006
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty12 View Post
Why do you want to output telemetry? After the flight? You know that Taranis outputs telem to an onboard SD card?
I was looking for live data to do antenna tracking but I think having read further I'll dump that idea in favour of an rssi based solution.
41south is online now Find More Posts by 41south
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:55 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
530 Posts
I had a trim switch fail on my 3 month old Taranis today during the maiden of a new Aerobatic plane. I could trim up but not down. Being a bit slow it took me about 7 clicks of up trim (and about 100 of down) to work out it was still working one way but not the other & then had to land with a very badly trimmed plane. Thankfully I managed to get it down without re-kitting it.

Am I the only one or have others had trim buttons fail?

Looks like a simple fix if the local guy I bought it off has parts. If not I'm going to be back to the trusty old Futaba for 3-4 weeks.
I love my Taranis but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I think I'll keep the Futaba a bit longer just in case.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:57 AM
Sweden, Uppsala County, Uppsala
Joined Aug 2013
160 Posts
My Taranis is on the way from readymaderc. Sweeet! It took a while to get it ordered since it appeared to be out of stock everywhere.
keffe1 is offline Find More Posts by keffe1