Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:14 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
United States, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Jan 2011
279 Posts
Discussion
TopModel Fascination

Hello,

Having just received my first true 'moldie', I am a bit overwhelmed by this bird.. I am looking for anyone who also has a Fascination or similar model who could post some Build pics or have their own log for reference. The directions, such as they are, aren't very helpful..

Much appreciated,

Paul
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:40 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,561 Posts
Hi there Paul,

I hate to break it to you but, a true moldie has composite skins formed into an airfoil shape in a mold with a vacuum system. The Fascination's wings are foam covered with fiberglass reinforced balsa skins and covering applied. And a real moldie that size would cost substantially more and probably have no instructions at all because of the intended market.

The Top Model instructions seem a little intimidating at first, but if you take the time to think through the build (and understand how info is presented in the diagrams) in small steps, it is survivable. I'm a pretty experienced builder, but I still found it hard to get started plodding through the steps one at a time with my first decent sized gliders. But it's never as bad as it seems, it seems, once you get started

At least Top Model has pretty good quality so you don't have to spend a lot of time coping with things that require fixing. I built the Fascination's sibling the Grafas (essentially the same fuselage, shorter built-up wing) this spring and it was a way less a challenge that the Proxima II that I built last year. It might be helpful to peruse threads on other TopModel builds such as the Grafas/Gracia. Reading build threads for similar models like Sandy Allen's builds of of the Alpina's or similar models could help. I usually spend a lot of time reading specific or similar build threads before I get started a build to broaden my vision a bit. Another source of useful info is Paul Naton's DVD's on different types of gliders.

Is this your first real glider kit? Sorry for not having specific build info... It should be really nice!

Cheers!
Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:35 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
296 Posts
Agree with Glen - have a look at the Grafas build thread here on RC Groups - it is very complete and covers pretty much all the same steps that you will need to deal with regarding the assembly of the Fascination. There is also an excellent build thread on the Avia that is worth a read.

All of the Top Model gliders employ the same construction and assembly steps (for the most part) so reading other threads will certainly have you off on the right foot.

I have a TopModel Avia and have ordered a Gracia. The instructions do seem a little intimidating at first, but if you work through them one step, one task at a time it really isn't all that difficult...

Congrats on your purchase by the way - I'll be interested to read how the build is going for you

timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Last edited by timography; Sep 26, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:27 AM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
279 Posts
Excellent, these 2 threads were what I was looking for.. I am just finishing up my e-BOT and then will start on the Fascination.. It sure is a pretty plane, so I'll be sure to read up on these 2 threads before I start hacking on mine.. Pull-pull system... hmmm.. new to me.. I will be posting a log of my progress, but I am a slow builder and don't expect this to be finished till springtime..
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:02 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,561 Posts
Hi, pull-pull is easy and great and keeps weight out of the tail. Carefully consider where to pierce the fuse at the tail for the wires - use the cable stretched out over top of the fuse between the horns (just sight down to line up with horn holes) and remember that they cross to make the angle through the fuse wall a little greater. Don't worry about making the tension all that tight.

Cheers!
Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:04 AM
Jerez Frontera (Spain)
Joined Nov 2004
411 Posts
Hi, Paul

I`ve built the Grafas, Gracia and Fascination. All great planes. The drawings in the instructions are very clear once you undertand the procedures. Obviously you need to know how to use tape for hinging the surfaces. The measurements indicated in the manual are correct so you can follow for making the push-pull system. Also take note to cut the lower hinge in the rudder, prior to gluing, so the elevator can move without clashing.

Cheers.

Jose L.G.
JoseLG is offline Find More Posts by JoseLG
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined May 2010
1,498 Posts
How to Make Perfect Tape Hinge

Zb/Esprit Model

Few building pictures:
How to Make Perfect Tape Hinge
http://blog.espritmodel.com/esc/
Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:24 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
279 Posts
Many thanks for the info on the pull-pull. It sounds easy enough and will try it as recommended.. Yes, the hinges, many thanks, good to know I did it right on my e-BOT and will do the same for this bird..
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:27 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
279 Posts
Just to clarify about the hinges, I added a spoiler setup to the e-BOT and it seemed to be the correct way... Glad my hunch was right
Last edited by Patchitagain; Sep 28, 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:30 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
Joined Jan 2011
279 Posts
@Jose,

One thing I was wondering about.. Does the Fascination or any of the TopModel products exhibit any tail heavy tendencies? Would there be any advantage to mounting the elevator servo more forward or under the wing in order to save some weight in the tail?

Paul
Last edited by Patchitagain; Sep 30, 2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:08 AM
Jerez Frontera (Spain)
Joined Nov 2004
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
@Jose,

One thing I was wondering about.. Does the Fascination or any of the TopModel products exhibit any tail heavy tendencies? Would there be any advantage to mounting the elevator servo more forward or under the wing in order to save some weight in the tail?

Paul

Well.

It depends on the equipment you are going to use in the nose!

In my first Grafas, I used a Kontronic motor with gearbox (Fun 500, about 300 grams) and batery 2400-2600 3S. balanced perfectly with the servo in the tail and equipment in the proposed positions.

Gracia, similar equipment, the battery goes further back, and probably will use in a future a lighter 1100 (3S).

Second Grafas, motor Hyperion Z3525-10, Needed a 4500 battery because of lighter motor.

Fascination, the tailplane is a bit heavier (Foam/balsa), so I`ll suggest a heavier motor and 4S battery.

Cheers
JoseLG is offline Find More Posts by JoseLG
Old Apr 02, 2013, 12:25 PM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,911 Posts
Have you flown her? Flight report?
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Apr 02, 2013, 05:13 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
296 Posts
yes - inquiring minds want to know
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:27 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
Have you flown her? Flight report?
???
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Apr 08, 2014, 09:06 AM
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,617 Posts
Would love to find a flight report on this plane but there's very little information available online about it. For the price the Fascination seems like a great way to get into a big 3.6 meter glider for ALES contests. But I've never seen one in any ALES competition I've been to, even though Topmodel's other planes are usually well represented. The only people I see flying the Fascination are FPV pilots using it for long-range flights.
smoothvirus is offline Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member