HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:54 AM
The Great and Powerful Oz
Bismarck, ND USA
Joined Jun 2001
351 Posts
Discussion
The joys of kit building!

After flying RC arfs for umpteen years, I have rediscovered that there is something really satisfying about cutting and shaping wood, sanding it to shape, brushing clear dope on the plane and covering with silkspan! I was finishing up a Goldberg P-40 yesterday that I've had in the box for probably 25 years, and I thought to myself, "This is just as enjoyable as the flying".

I think that kit building and scratch building is a dying art...Maybe not so much amongst control line flyers, but all one has to do is look at the millions of arfs available vs. the small number of kits being produced. Kinda sad...
Woody is offline Find More Posts by Woody
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:47 PM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
382 Posts
Woody,

There may be a shortage of kits, but there is no shortage of plans -most of them on free sites.

Unfortunately I've been doing more repairing than building lately, but building is as enjoyable as flying - you certainly need something to fill the rest of the week.

If you think of a model, there's a great chance the plan will either be here, or one of the other free plan sites.

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Seconded.

I must have 600 or so plans, not counting the ones in magazines over the last 60 years. I could be 150 years old and still have plans for stuff I really want to build...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,169 Posts
And after youv'e built a few kits or built to another's plan, you could always design & build your own. As it happens, I'm building a kit for a fellow, now. First one since I was a kid. IIRC, the original Star Trek was all the rage when I started "rolling my own".

It's not at all hard, since we usually start out immitating what we know. Start with features you like best. Borrow traits from other designs. Before long however you'll be inovating on your own.

I tought myself drafting techniques just so I could draw my own plans. More than once I supported my family on those same skills. Today its all CAD but the concept is valid, still. And you thought modelling doesn't build character or could prove usefull.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:16 PM
Tok Alaska
Joined Aug 2005
141 Posts
Lost Art

For so many now Kit Building and Scratch Building is a lost art.
I will confess I bought 1 arf jus to see how it was and it was a total piece of junk.

Back in the day builders took pride in the task and it showed with the finishes on the old C/L and FF jobs done in Silk and Silk Span

The worst part of our hobby is the Cost and the Lack of Kids who want to build and fly.
The computer and thumb operated games and cell phones tend to keep them occupied.

Every chance I get if there is a local kid who wants to join in on the hobby my wife and I make sure that they have the chance to do so.

FF C/L RC are all part of the hobby and what ever a kid wasts to do we do our best to make sure the resorces are there for them.

Over the years people from this site have sent all kinds of things for this effort and it is and always will be greately appreciated.

Yes we who go the old ways are TRULY THE KEEPERS OF THE LOST ART
northernlightsfl is offline Find More Posts by northernlightsfl
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
While many hobby stores do not and/or will not carry control line model kits, there is no shortage of them. Black Hawk Models produces 100 different kits, Brodak also produces over 100 kits and RSM has a large selection of kits.
I know that Black Hawk Model and Brodak are world wide kit suppliers but still most hobby stores want to only carry R/C planes to make larger profits.
Larry
BLACK HAWK MOD is offline Find More Posts by BLACK HAWK MOD
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
One of the best things about building kits or from scratch is that you always get better with each new plane.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
213 Posts
I hear ya, Woody! I've taken what you wrote to the next level and build much more than I fly. So far in 2012, I've flown twice. But I'm in my workshop for an hour or so just about every day, working on an airplane build. Lately, I've been building all of the Top Flite 60 size warbirds. I fly what I build, and so far haven't built for others. I spend so much time in my workshop, I don't get to meet others!!
edbu1 is offline Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,015 Posts
I was never fully satisfied with ARFs. But even more satisfying than a kit is to make the whole thing your self.
Traian is offline Find More Posts by Traian
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:45 AM
Brooklynite In Texas
Manor, TX. USA,
Joined Jul 2008
569 Posts
scratch builder

To be honest I have tried arf's and really like what 3d hobbies is selling, but I cannot imagine continuing in this hobby without building, kits or scratch. building leaves me with a feeling of great satisfaction.
donnyman is offline Find More Posts by donnyman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Electrics ?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
To be honest I have tried arf's and really like what 3d hobbies is selling, but I cannot imagine continuing in this hobby without building, kits or scratch. building leaves me with a feeling of great satisfaction.
The last sentence is what it is all about. Welcome to Texas, hope you enjoy it here.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX