HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
943 Posts
In my experience it is in windy condition You want to be able to have the little extra performace from the motor. Even with my small Wind S 50E on Hacker A50-16S V2 and 6 cell (DesirePower V8 35C 5200 mAh) I would like some more power in rather windy days (I fly rather much in mid to high wind conditions). In calm wind it is no problem. My setup in that plane produce about 1670 watt and 70 amp at full throttle (I use Castle Creation ICE 100 ESC).

I'm waiting for report from someone flying on factory recommended motor and 6 cell with MythoS 125E in mid to high wind condition to see what they have to say if power is enoughn also then.
That wold be my only doubt left in the 6 cell discussion.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:23 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
In my experience it is in windy condition You want to be able to have the little extra performace from the motor. Even with my small Wind S 50E on Hacker A50-16S V2 and 6 cell (DesirePower V8 35C 5200 mAh) I would like some more power in rather windy days (I fly rather much in mid to high wind conditions). In calm wind it is no problem. My setup in that plane produce about 1670 watt and 70 amp at full throttle (I use Castle Creation ICE 100 ESC).

I'm waiting for report from someone flying on factory recommended motor and 6 cell with MythoS 125E in mid to high wind condition to see what they have to say if power is enoughn also then.
That wold be my only doubt left in the 6 cell discussion.

/Bo
We took the MythoS to WattFest in Tampa this past weekend, the winds were 14 - 18 MPH both Saturday and Sunday and we flew huge uplines, knife edge loops, rolling loops, etc, it handled the wind fine ;-)

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:19 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
Instead of adding to the confusion, why not either build one and show it doesn't fly well on 6S or at least post actual concerns? I am not trying to tell folks how to build their own plane BUT I am defending the factory setup as powerful and very capable. I would think most folks would appreciate actual data versus speculation and best guesses...

Jack
I think you are completely misunderstanding where I am at in my spec'ing of my Mythos.
I don't want to have a lot of LiPo's laying about. I would prefer to use the same battery packs for the Mythos as I would for a Fusion 50 helicopter and 8 cell seesm to be the best compromise.
I am not disputing the performance of the Mythos on 6 cell. In fact based on the information in this thread it flies the plane better than I expected.
I've checked the Fusion 50's specs and there is a 6cell set up for it as well, hence I could opt for either 6 or 8Cells setups without addingn significantly to the cost. Like I said I don;t want 20 or 30 high power LiPo battery packs on my property,especially after a pal nearly had hsi house burnt down by a LiPo that suffered a spontaneous combustion event. $90,000-00 to his house!
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
hi ifetter :
What's the timing setting of Castle ICE HV ESC for your A60-5XS.
I found that A60 require 25 degree and highest time for ICE HV only 20 (don't know unit). Confusing
tshuhai is offline Find More Posts by tshuhai
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:48 PM
media, pennsylvania, united states
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts
Anyone actually got their plane complete trimmed out and actually comfortable flying their whole pattern schedule yet? How's everything doing?
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:18 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,939 Posts
I've been working hard installing LED lights in the MythoS, should have some cool video after this Saturday's night fly ;-)

Jack
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:25 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,939 Posts
Well, the weather may not cooperate with this weekend's night fly but here's a little teaser of my own "night flyer" ;-)

Sebart MythoS Night Flyer, Windows Media, High Definition, 55MB

Jack
Last edited by jfetter; Oct 24, 2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Updated video with new 3W lights...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:20 PM
media, pennsylvania, united states
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts
Quote:
Well, the weather may not cooperate with this weekend's night fly but here's a little teaser of my own "night flyer" ;-)

Sebart MythoS Night Flyer, Windows Media, High Definition, 48MB

Jack
oh god, i just about had a seizure! take care landing at night, the gear's not the most robust set in the world.
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,939 Posts
Hey guys, here's some video of the MythoS at the night fly last evening. It was a tad bit windy (12 - 16 MPH) from the offshore hurricane but that didn't stop a few from enjoying the evening anyway. Still tweaking the lighting controls for more versatility but overall it worked out great! ;-)

Enjoy!

Sebart MythoS Night Flying, Windows Media, High Definition, 146MB

Jack
Last edited by jfetter; Oct 28, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:50 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
943 Posts
Cool night flying!

That should generate some "UFO" reports in vicinity...

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Got a good clear run with the Mythos today - using A60 - 6XS V2. Had read a lot about props and batteries - so here is my subjective view based on pushing them through the front end of P13.

For 6s I used 2 x 6s 3,000mah 40c in parallel.
  • 18 x 12e - a good airspeed for the airframe, with buffer for windier conditions; but not enough vertical grunt for half clover, stall turn, half sqaure loop etc . . .
  • 19 x 10e - a bit slower with penetration (a bit like a 4 stroke), and will climb through tall manouevres, but it has no margin for buffety/windy conditions and I struggled to keep it on line at times (so just not quite fast enough)
  • 20 x 10e - similar to 19 x 10 for speed, but struggled on long uplines more.
All of these were pulling in the 80-90 amp region (using Eagle Tree logger). It may be that with higher spec batteries (65c) the 20 x 10 comes on song around 100+ amps, but that is another league in battery investment I haven't made.

Then I tried 8s using 2 x 4s 4,000 mah 40c in series.
  • 19 x 8e - almost too much for the airframe, happily accelerates up uplines, groovy through rolls / 45 up lines etc. Would fly P13 without going above 2/3 throttle - at peak pulled 100amps.
  • 18 x 8e - felt best of the bunch today. Good speed - and will be better once I have worked on throttle curve. Smoother than 19 x 8 to fly as only peaking at 80 ish amps. But prop was cavitating a bit on uplines (may need to try a gas one!)

I stress this is subjective and F3A oriented. It is great fun to fly on 6s 19 x 10e and its knife edge loop is just amazing, rolls awesome -- and I would happily fly it like that as a big sport model. But for F3A I am thinking 8s for climb into clover leaf, stall, and square loop with half rolls (which showed up 20 x 10) etc. where you need some grunt and airpseed to keep it straight and locked on line. Also happy on 40s packs on 8s, whereas I think it struggled on 6s 40s.

Gibbo
gibbo9000 is offline Find More Posts by gibbo9000
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:05 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo9000 View Post
...I stress this is subjective and F3A oriented. It is great fun to fly on 6s 19 x 10e and its knife edge loop is just amazing, rolls awesome -- and I would happily fly it like that as a big sport model. But for F3A I am thinking 8s for climb into clover leaf, stall, and square loop with half rolls (which showed up 20 x 10) etc. where you need some grunt and airpseed to keep it straight and locked on line. Also happy on 40s packs on 8s, whereas I think it struggled on 6s 40s.

Gibbo
Nice review Gibbo, any RPM numbers for the 8S setup? BTW, I agree about the 65C pack being necessary on 6S. All of my video's are using TP 65C packs and though I have no complaints, 45C or less may not provide the same level of performance...

Jack
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Nice review Gibbo, any RPM numbers for the 8S setup? BTW, I agree about the 65C pack being necessary on 6S. All of my video's are using TP 65C packs and though I have no complaints, 45C or less may not provide the same level of performance...
Thanks Jack - on 8s 40c 4000 it is doing around 8,500 RPM at 80ish Amps - so just under 80% of theroretical speed at 370 rpm/Volt. That is with the good old 18 x 8 IC wide blade I put on to stop the cavitation. Waiting on XOAR and PT 18 x 8 . . .

Only meaningful 6s comparison I have was around 90 amps and 6,300 RPM on 6s with 18 x 12.

I flew it again on Sunday, this time in a lumpy 10 knot wind, and remain happy with 18 x 8 - even better once I had done some work on throttle curve to get low / mid range right. Feels similar to full sized F3A model on Q80 13s with 20 x 10.5 prop (so at the slower end of the spectrum).

Flying it with CG in middle of recommended range at 220mm, but have taken almost all Expo out of elevator to get a good, positive feel.

Addition: Flew it in smooth conditions today, 8s/40c, XOAR 18x8 (wood IC version - much more efficient down low so softened throttle curve again), pulling 85 amps peak - nice speed, lots of power/penetration, CG to front of range tracks more smoothly out of 1/4 loops etc. When 8s 5,000 turns up will fly complete P13.

Gibbo
Last edited by gibbo9000; Nov 07, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
More focussed time today - now on 8s 5,000 40c. Motor is A60-6XS - V2.

Have experimented with a variety of 18 x 8 props (APC, XOAR IC and E, PT) and concensus (with input from a few seasoned campaigners) is that 18 x8 just isn't enough load for the motor and it is over-revving even when limited to around 80 Amps through the throttle curve. So it is now back on a 19 x 8, throttle curve to a peak of just over 60%, and pulling around 85 Amps peak. Similar performance to 18 x 8 but no more prop screaming at full throttle. Have a colleague who is flying one on 6s (65 to 130c cells) and concensus is this set up accelerates and holds speed a little better on uplines - but for accurate, fun, sport flying 6c is great (and flies a little lighter).

After sorting props I flew four full flights of P-13, at full F3A scale and in moderate 45 degree blow in wind - and it is coming home with around 15 - 20% left in the packs. In this configuration it is sitting just under 5kg flying weight (with separate flight battery).

Gibbo
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:58 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,389 Posts
Sorry I misunderstand. Is the 8S the better set up for the speed on the uplines or the 6S 65-130C set up?
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle