HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osern View Post
So, will stock ESC survive for 3s all the time? Does any one try it out without replacing ESC ?
I fly my 800s on 3S most of the time on stock ESC and my T28 is always flown with 3S with 7x6 two-blade prop. Factory says stock 20A ESC will take 3S. The only caution is that the prop should be the stock prop or equivalent prop with similar load properties.

However, I do not fly at full throttle all the time. Maybe 10 to 20 sec before throttling down.

If you do not trust the 20A FMS ESC, you can replace it with a 30A FMS which is the same size.
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined May 2013
57 Posts
My J3

Here's a look at my fast J3 which handles beautifully. One of my favorite planes!

FMS Airfield J3 Cub 800mm - Modified & very fast (2 min 18 sec)
2spicey is offline Find More Posts by 2spicey
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2spicey View Post
Here's a look at my fast J3 which handles beautifully. One of my favorite planes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQM7lk6UNN4
I like! That's insane! Are you sure its an 800mm?
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Mar 2013
469 Posts
Thats like saying your too old to learn to shift a synchromesh clutch and keep driving a diect gear manual... Uhm ok.

Leave you Tx with a buddy. Tell him not to tell you that he set expo.

Pretend it didnt happen and collect your tx back.

Enjoy much better easier flying and the cure to more than half the issues you described and less frewuent crashes and more frewuent recoveries.

We wont tell on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
Short background:
I have the FW190 V1. My first flight with it (actually first ever 800mm flight) resulted in a snap roll to the left on take-off. Dont know if it was a tip stall or wing snagged on grass at edge of runway.

Broke prop and replaced with a 2 blade 8 x 6. Next flight was probably my best ever maiden flight of any model of any size...giggling like a school girl throughout.

One thing that I did was to concentrate on being smooth with the controls. She is very very sensitive. I do not use expo, never have, too old to change maybe. Let her gain speed and lift her off gently. Anyways, after a few flights, there was no need to be gentle with her. She is a handful to handlaunch due to excessive sensitivity.

She did crash twice due to equipment failure, I thought it was the receiver but now think its the ESC, which I will replace before re-maidening. Will also reduce control throws. This 800 (750) is very fast on 2S with an 8 x6 prop, but will try a 7 x 6 with a 1100mah 3S after I get used to her again.

So if you're asking for an opinion: I suggest sticking with the FW until you get it, or she is no longer economical to repair. Go for 35- 40% expo or smaller control throws. Throttle down once you are airborne. She flies well on 1/2 - 2/3 throttle on 2S. No worries with tip stall (assuming stock AUW). Increase your speed as you get comfortable with her handling.

Problem with too little control throw is maintaining control near stall speed and lack of elevator to flare for landings. Use dual rates: low for normal flying and high for low speed. While my story suggests that the FW is a challenge to get used to, it is a lot of fun once you figure her out.
Oatman is offline Find More Posts by Oatman
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined May 2013
57 Posts
Quote:
I like! That's insane! Are you sure its an 800mm?
Yup... my son flies it on 1.4 3s and its still very quick. The key is keeping it light and strong. The slop in the linkages used to make it waggle at speed in the past. I got rid of it and covered up the holes left by the removal of the fake motor at the same time so one or the other was causing the problem.
2spicey is offline Find More Posts by 2spicey
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2013
285 Posts
I love these planes but sometimes unpredictable crap happens. I crashed my Shangrila today as well. Something must be in the air. I flew a few packs and it was on rails flew great. I must have put 8 packs through it yesterday as well. I decided I wanted to try and get her into something close to a flat spin. So I went up 3 mistakes high (should have been 4) and successfully got into an awesome looking death spiral. I was unsuccessfully able to pull out of it haha jokes on me and pile drived it into the ground. Fuse is toast from the canopy fwd but thats it. I have a back up fuse so no biggie.

As for the FW-190 FLITR my first one died a slow horrible death of CA poisoning It was a complete handful. One minute it would be flying beautifully the next minute it was in pieces. I am still waiting on them to come off backorder from Diamond so they can send me a replacement for my second one that was defective. Like you I am on the fence as to wether I want to go down that road. All my Shangrila mishaps have been just me being stupid , flat spins, inverted passes 6" of the deck, etc... but the FW would seem to just go haywire by itself like it was possessed.
Bhodi11 is offline Find More Posts by Bhodi11
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatman View Post
Thats like saying your too old to learn to shift a synchromesh clutch and keep driving a diect gear manual... Uhm ok.

Leave you Tx with a buddy. Tell him not to tell you that he set expo.

Pretend it didnt happen and collect your tx back.

Enjoy much better easier flying and the cure to more than half the issues you described and less frewuent crashes and more frewuent recoveries.

We wont tell on you.
Ok, Ok I will breakdown one of these days and add expo. Guys at the field have been telling me but ole stubborn me dont wanna listen. I can do expo myself. Just an old fart not wanting to depend on gizmos to fly toy airplanes LOL!
Old Today, 12:00 AM
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
I fly my 800s on 3S most of the time on stock ESC and my T28 is always flown with 3S with 7x6 two-blade prop. Factory says stock 20A ESC will take 3S. The only caution is that the prop should be the stock prop or equivalent prop with similar load properties.

However, I do not fly at full throttle all the time. Maybe 10 to 20 sec before throttling down.

If you do not trust the 20A FMS ESC, you can replace it with a 30A FMS which is the same size.
Thanks a ton! Iím relieved for your helpful info, cuase I have alot of 3s batteries, and bothered about how to do the ESC replacing surgery, it looks like the stock motor and ESC donít connect with plug but weilded, seems like have to cut and dig things off, To use stock ESC with 3s would be great.
osern is online now Find More Posts by osern
Old Today, 02:21 AM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
637 Posts
Quote:
Short background:
I have the FW190 V1. My first flight with it (actually first ever 800mm flight) resulted in a snap roll to the left on take-off. Dont know if it was a tip stall or wing snagged on grass at edge of runway.

Broke prop and replaced with a 2 blade 8 x 6. Next flight was probably my best ever maiden flight of any model of any size...giggling like a school girl throughout.

One thing that I did was to concentrate on being smooth with the controls. She is very very sensitive. I do not use expo, never have, too old to change maybe. Let her gain speed and lift her off gently. Anyways, after a few flights, there was no need to be gentle with her. She is a handful to handlaunch due to excessive sensitivity.

She did crash twice due to equipment failure, I thought it was the receiver but now think its the ESC, which I will replace before re-maidening. Will also reduce control throws. This 800 (750) is very fast on 2S with an 8 x6 prop, but will try a 7 x 6 with a 1100mah 3S after I get used to her again.

So if you're asking for an opinion: I suggest sticking with the FW until you get it, or she is no longer economical to repair. Go for 35- 40% expo or smaller control throws. Throttle down once you are airborne. She flies well on 1/2 - 2/3 throttle on 2S. No worries with tip stall (assuming stock AUW). Increase your speed as you get comfortable with her handling.

Problem with too little control throw is maintaining control near stall speed and lack of elevator to flare for landings. Use dual rates: low for normal flying and high for low speed. While my story suggests that the FW is a challenge to get used to, it is a lot of fun once you figure her out.
Thanks man, all good advise. I have high/low rates set and do just that, flip to high just before I settle, full flair and plop them down. Works well most of the time.

I priced doing a new airframe, vs. just a fuse/stab. Went with the cheaper route, you can almost but a whole plane by the time I piece something else together. It'll be here Wednesday (gotta love Moton RC shipping!) and I'll give her another go.

The stubborn side won't let me give up just yet!
FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Today, 03:22 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Short background:

Interesting, I have not flown the V1 but I did find the Maiden of my V2 to be less stressfull than anticipated, would be good to hear from those who have both?
skymaxy is online now Find More Posts by skymaxy
Old Today, 03:30 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,313 Posts
Oatman: "Problem with too little control throw is maintaining control near stall speed and lack of elevator to flare for landings. Use dual rates: low for normal flying and high for low speed. While my story suggests that the FW is a challenge to get used to, it is a lot of fun once you figure her out."

True that, too much and I failed to flare quickly enough in a sudden unexpected sink patch on final, reduced Expo after that.
Will have DR and Expo in F Mode from now on and select when required.
skymaxy is online now Find More Posts by skymaxy