HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:02 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,177 Posts
Discussion
Uh Oh - Is This Battery Salvageable?

Using my Hyperion charger, I get the following messages (see images below).

Is this battery a total waste?

If not, how do I get the one cell that has low voltage back on track with the rest of them?

Maybe it's time to discharge this pack to near zero voltage and take to the recycling center.

Thank you & happy flyin'
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man View Post
If not, how do I get the one cell that has low voltage back on track with the rest of them?
A few ways:

1) Charge on balance charger on very low charge rate to allow charger to bleed down the other cells.

or

2) IMO a better and significantly faster method is to simply charge the low cell through the balance tap with a .100" header adapter (picture below) until it is at the same voltage as the other cells.

Since your charger is showing 'open circuit', you may have another issue with your pack other than a low cell. Has the pack been damaged? Are you absolutely certain that all balance wires are intact and there are no broken or poor connections at the cell tabs?

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:24 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,177 Posts
Thanks Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Has the pack been damaged?
The pack is unused except for charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Are you absolutely certain that all balance wires are intact and there are no broken or poor connections at the cell tabs?
No however I'm guessing that if any of the balance wires were somehow disconnected, then the charger wouldn't be able to read a voltage setting for each of the six cells.

Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:53 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2006
529 Posts
If a balance wire is poorly crimped you would be surprised what the charger will read.
Cambo is offline Find More Posts by Cambo
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:03 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,177 Posts
How do I check it? This pack has two balance plugs - close inspection of these balance connectors looks okay.

Should I remove the balance connectors -- one at a time -- to insure they are making good contact at the connector?

Could the problem possibly be inside the pack?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:40 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2006
529 Posts
I had a voltz pack that was poorly crimped. Wiggling the balance wire made the voltage fluctuate from like 2.75V to over 4v on the charger. I pulled each individual wire from the balance connector and checked how well they were crimped. Sure enough, one had almost zero metal to metal contact.

Also, the voltage measurements on the balance tab and the power leads are not the same, ie the charger can measure the main leads independently of the balance leads. If the main voltage of the pack indicates the proper voltage its probabley a bad connection somewhere. So your charger should be reading like 23.7 in the main charge menu. If it is less, closer to 23 your pack is bad.
Cambo is offline Find More Posts by Cambo
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:24 AM
NL
Joined Nov 2009
304 Posts
I'd say: Manually check what the charger is telling you.

During the discussion, the fact that it is a 6S popped up. I see 6 voltages, in the correct range, so I'd say the balance connector seems ok. Do you have the main connector attached? (Many chargers require this).

Next, take a multimeter and check the voltage at the main leads....
rewolff is offline Find More Posts by rewolff
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:55 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,177 Posts
Thanks Cambo & rewolff

I'll drag it out tonight and see if I can figure this out . . . again.

Happy flyin'
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,579 Posts
Do what mrforsyth suggested above; he gives good advise on here. Charge, discharge to a storage voltage and let it sit several weeks and monitor the voltage on all cells. Write the voltages down and reference when you test down the road.

I have yet to figure out why this happens. I removed 2 low cells from new Blue Lipo packs 2 weeks ago for a FB and they are still as parked. Hummmm?????

Hey, I "NEEDED" a 2s 40C pack anyhow. LOL
Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman