HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:52 AM
USA, CA, Canyon Country
Joined Apr 2009
142 Posts
Video

Howdy,

I purchased an HD camera on eBay from hxelepro360 per suggestion on this thread. Iíve also been following this thread for quite some time and have asked a few questions regarding editing software, aircraft camera placement, etc.

I tried everything mentioned and was unsuccessful at converting a mov file to an avi. I was ready to give up on this whole idea when as a last resort I tried OJOsoft Total Video Converter. It worked like a dream. After the conversion, I used ViedoPad Video Editor to slightly edit the avi file.

I mounted the camera on the top of the wing of my Radian Pro with Velcro. As you can tell, smooth flying is a prerequisite for such a tiny camera.
The video was taken at Rancho Pico Jr. HS in Valencia, Calif. where our club flies.

Grab a barf-bag and hold onto your seat as you may get nauseous.

Soaring at Rancho Pico (7 min 9 sec)

Dan
AH-56 is offline Find More Posts by AH-56
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:12 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy View Post
Hello!!

Has anyone tried "Logoaway" plugin for virtualdub to remove the date stamp?

http://voidon.republika.pl/virtualdub/
Prior to completely removing date stamp on my old #3 type cameras I used logoaway. Plenty of examples on my YouTube channel (The mini DV videos such as Paragliding at Strete between the showers) . It leaves a blurred outline where the date should be. Far nicer to remove it completely.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss111 View Post
To be perfectly honest, I don't!

I think there is a difference when you film in low light, I am not sure, I need to do more tests

But, the result files are 1.5 times larger, this additional video bitrate must be doing something good, right?
Keep us posted on your work. I am delighted with my HD key cam and I am using a Class 4 8 GB Kingston card.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:57 AM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
dropped frames

I think that is the problem - my computer is too slow. Uploaded a 30-second test video to youtube and vimeo and now the video has no dropped frames. Looks great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dWWvRdC7o8

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Brian W is offline Find More Posts by Brian W
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:10 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
Brian W try the newest KM Player . It's the best free player, that I know and does not need any external codecs.
For the record - your camera has malfunction with the focus just like my old one - the right side is out of focus.
ShinG0 is offline Find More Posts by ShinG0
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:15 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,637 Posts
Quote:
OMG! Problem solved!

It turned out the problem was the type of micro SD card I was using!

I was using sandisk 8gb class 4 with one camera, and was getting 10.2 Mbps video bitrate,
I was using newly bought kingston 16gb class 4 with the other camera and was getting 6.5 Mbps video bitrate
As soon as I tried Sandisk with this camera I got 10.2 Mbps video bitrate.

Never had an idea before to change the cards, what for, class 4 there, class 4 here...

note to myself - "always buy sandisk!"

So if anyone only has 6.5 Mbps video bitrate try a different microsd card (sandisk class 4 definitely works!)
I'd be VERY interested in how your CL4 Sandisk card tests using the CrystalDiskMark program (free download). The key number is the one in the block for "512K" random writes. My CL6 Transcend has tested just a tiny bit below a Sandisk CL4 test posted in the chucklohr.com web site, so I would expect to get similar results, but have never gotten better than about 6500 kbps on the video bit rate.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:37 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
edit apologies, I'm just wading thru this brilliant thread from beginning to THE END! and I now see someone else posted a link to my relay mod! Thanks Tom Frank for your efforts. I agree about the poor quality, but as a reference for a construction project, etc. I think it's acceptable. Here's several hours of Brixham Breakwater. Time lapse fascinates me! There are a couple more on my YouTube channel and some good quality videos made with the old 3#. I'm hoping for even better with the new HD version, but I'm still waiting for it. Going all the way thru this as said for tips.
Bob, if you do a similar mod for the HD Key Cam, if you will document the process as it applies specifically to this cam, hopefully with some good pictures, we will have a good tutorial for others to follow easier. I can then post a link to your new post.

FWIW, a different way to get simulated "timelapse" photography is by shooting regular video, then editing it to play back at much higher frame rate. WLMM allows for a 64x speed up! The disadvantage is your recording time is much more limited, but the plus side is that the motion is very smooth!. When we get the promised continuous recording firmware patch, the 20 min. segments the cam now records won't be a factor, but even with those brief (3-4 Sec.) gaps at 64X playback speed it would likely not be very noticeable. The HD key cam with external power source and a 32 GB flash card could record for about 10 hours with the camera shooting at 6500 kbps video data rate.

Here's a sample 30 minute clip, played back in about 30 sec.:

Rain Cloud Dump on Mt. Si (0 min 31 sec)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,363 Posts
2 Mbyte SPI

I opened my cam today to investigate my "date flying" problem - more about this another day.

While it is open, I decided to document the WinBond W25Q16BV SPI Flash chip for those interested. As has been previously assumed, this is indeed a 2 MByte Serial Flash Memory (16MBit).

It is very likely that other SPI chips are used, so, if someone finds they have another chip, please share your findings.

Documentation can be found here.

Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,637 Posts
Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I don't!

I think there is a difference when you film in low light, I am not sure, I need to do more tests

But, the result files are 1.5 times larger, this additional video bitrate must be doing something good, right?
The card can only record what the camera puts out. It can't improve it. And you reach a point of no return with bit rate... a point where the improvements cannot be discerned by the human eye when played back with motion in the scene and at 30 fps. Similar limits on sound bit rate. IMHO, the 10kbps is past that point of no return, so all you get is bigger files. At best, you might see a tiny bit better definitive in areas like grass, etc. where there is very little difference in color or contrast when viewed from a distance, and the video compression tends to blur it all together.

Having said that, if someone has two cameras and can record the same scene with them simultaneously with one at the 7kbps total bit rate and one at 10kbps, I'd combine them to play side-by-side in a video so you can decide for yourself.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:06 PM
USA, OH, Marysville
Joined May 2010
348 Posts
I have an Athlon 64 X2 (B) 4400+ 2.3 GHz with 2gb of memory. I tested my class 6 8gb Transcend and the Random Write at 512KB was only 1.321 MB/s. What could be wrong is it the memory or my computer? On yes should I plug it in the front card slot or should I use a USB card reader.
jmdlcar is offline Find More Posts by jmdlcar
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jmdlcar; Feb 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added info
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I'd be VERY interested in how your CL4 Sandisk card tests using the CrystalDiskMark program (free download). The key number is the one in the block for "512K" random writes. My CL6 Transcend has tested just a tiny bit below a Sandisk CL4 test posted in the chucklohr.com web site, so I would expect to get similar results, but have never gotten better than about 6500 kbps on the video bit rate.
Sure, here we go, but I only did 1 test, and only 50mb, hope its more or less the same
I'll do full test later
It does look like it has a better write speed
sss111 is offline Find More Posts by sss111
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdlcar View Post
I have an Athlon 64 X2 (B) 4400+ 2.3 GHz with 2gb of memory. I tested my class 6 8gb Transcend and the Random Write at 512KB was only 1.321 MB/s. What could be wrong is it the memory or my computer? On yes should I plug it in the front card slot or should I use a USB card reader.
That is low. Did you format it with the SDformatter tool? That could make a difference. And test it in the PC port (I think you did), not in a USB hub or the camera. I'd try both the built-in PC slot and the reader to see if it makes any difference. Your PC should have USB 2.0 ports, I'd think.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,637 Posts
Quote:
Sure, here we go, but I only did 1 test, and only 50mb, hope its more or less the same
I'll do full test later
It does look like it has a better write speed
Significantly better write speed! The larger memory density helps, I think, but still those are impressive numbers, especially for a card only tagged as CL4! My 50MB random 512K block write speeds were only about 5-10% faster.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:19 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,279 Posts
FYI: I too had one of the HD cams that had the blurred edges and focused center. I cleaned the lens even though it looked OK and after doing that the whole field was sharp Give that a try if you haven't already done so.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-64 D View Post
Of the 2 HD keychain cameras that I bought from hxelepro360 on 4 Feb, one of them is close to being focused OK at inifinity, but the other is only in focus in the center of the image and very blurred at the edges. I suspect the the chip is curved and that it will not be possible to focus it satisfactorily. Is the usual practice in this case to contact the vendor or just suck it up and move on?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:34 PM
It only cost £50 honest!
Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
Joined Oct 2007
284 Posts
Know this is off topic but, been reading this thread while waiting for my hd to arrive, and I get different page totals, sometimes I get 18 with about 80 replies per page, then I get 119 with about 18 replies per page. Is it me or is there a setting I need to change?
David Parry is offline Find More Posts by David Parry
Closed Thread