HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2001, 08:32 AM
Lynnwood, WA USA
Joined Jan 2000
547 Posts
Mounting Aileron Servos

I'm looking for some tips on mounting aileron servos where only the arm of the servo is extending out from the wing. This means rotating the mounting orientation 90 degrees. This in turn makes accessing the four mounting screws almost impossible once the wing is covered (or the other ribs had been glued in place prior to covering.)

Is there a *lightweight* way to build a fixture to which the servo is mounted, turned 90 degrees, and then mounted into the servo bay? Or other possible methods...?

Thx,
MMGM
MMGM is offline Find More Posts by MMGM
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2001, 09:06 AM
Hey, I wanna fly too!
United States, TX, Justin
Joined Sep 2001
223 Posts
Hey MMGM

This wouldn't be for the Magic 3D would it? I've been watching that tread and had to build one for myself. To mount the aileron servos I picked up some plastic molded "sailplane" style servo mounts from my LHS. The servo is strapped down on it's side 90deg and are just the right size for a HS-81MG IF you put a piece of 1" sq double sided foam tape between the servo and mount. Enlarge the hole in the wing and bolt her down, easy... and I think they only weighed about 6 grams for the pair. The only thing I changed was the 4 hold down screws. They were supplied with counter sink phillips head screws than none of my screwdrivers fit, so I subbed DuBro No2x3/8" buttonhead screws (PN 525)

I picked all them up from my LHS, Mike's Hobby Shop. They are plain bagged and do not have any manufacturer info but Mike should know what I'm taking about. They are on the electric motor wall . Just make sure you ask about the small ones if your using the HS-81s.

Terry
tphillips is offline Find More Posts by tphillips
Old Sep 11, 2001, 09:21 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,943 Posts
MMGM,
You can use a very thin piece of plywood or plastic sheet. Cut a slot into it for the servo arm to go through. Attach the servo with servo tape or goop to one side and attach the plate to the wing with small screws ( might need to add some scrap wood for attachment points ). For a really neat job....cover the side that shows with film to match the wing before attaching the servo to the mounting plate.
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly