New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2015, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by steelgtr
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnie View Post
energeezer, I too was using my Artizan w/ a safe receiver. It's a great way to go. I never used beginner or intermediate modes too much, but wanted it for the panic button and AS3X. Here's my advice to you. Before each flight look at the plane not the tx, and push the panic button. If you have voice alerts, you'll hear it. When you start in expert mode, if you're like me, you'll be very cautious and you won't need the panic button. PUSH IT ANYWAY. 1) you need to test that it works and 2) you need to reinforce in your muscle memory where it is and 3) reinforce in your brain that it is there. You'll get better and better, the ArtiZan taught me so much. You'll be able to 'save' the plane without it alot of the time. But there's nothing worse than having the panic and not using it because you forget and try to save the plane w/o it or your finger doesn't know where it is on the tx because it's been so long since you pushed it! Maybe this will never happen to you!

Have fun! It's a blast of a plane to fly!
sconnie
Is the 636 rx the one used in the Sukhoi? (sp)

bob
steelgtr is offline Find More Posts by steelgtr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by Clive66
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelgtr View Post
Is the 636 rx the one used in the Sukhoi? (sp)

bob

The BNF Artizan comes with an AR635 RX

I understand the AR636 that comes in the Sukhoi is not programmable.
When an AR636 gets posted for sale in the classifieds here, one of the first questions asked is, did this come out of a Sukhoi ?)
The BNF Sport Cub comes with an AR636, but that one can be programmed.
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Jul 20, 2015, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by energeezer
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnie View Post
energeezer, I too was using my Artizan w/ a safe receiver. It's a great way to go. I never used beginner or intermediate modes too much, but wanted it for the panic button and AS3X. Here's my advice to you. Before each flight look at the plane not the tx, and push the panic button. If you have voice alerts, you'll hear it. When you start in expert mode, if you're like me, you'll be very cautious and you won't need the panic button. PUSH IT ANYWAY. 1) you need to test that it works and 2) you need to reinforce in your muscle memory where it is and 3) reinforce in your brain that it is there. You'll get better and better, the ArtiZan taught me so much. You'll be able to 'save' the plane without it alot of the time. But there's nothing worse than having the panic and not using it because you forget and try to save the plane w/o it or your finger doesn't know where it is on the tx because it's been so long since you pushed it! Maybe this will never happen to you!

Have fun! It's a blast of a plane to fly!
sconnie
Sconnie
I destroyed two planes flying with a 636. I am very nervous so I ve done probably 10 flights in beginner mode. I now take off in beginner and switch to intermediate when at altitude. I fly that way but find my nerves get to me so I flip back to beginner to settle down. Once nervous I make stupid mistakes I wouldn't normally make. It will be a slow process but I m ok with that. Just happy I can grow with an aircraft possessing the abilities of the Artizan.
Having said that I have bench tested all modes and confirmed they function properly. Using a DX6i the gear switch controls the flight modes. Its A 2 position switch so I am limited to 2 modes. At this time I have beginner and intermediate selected using the rx dip switches. This works well because the gear switch is easy to reach and acts like a panic button when flying in intermediate.
energeezer is offline Find More Posts by energeezer
Last edited by energeezer; Jul 20, 2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 07:08 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66 View Post
The BNF Artizan comes with an AR635 RX

I understand the AR636 that comes in the Sukhoi is not programmable.
When an AR636 gets posted for sale in the classifieds here, one of the first questions asked is, did this come out of a Sukhoi ?)
The BNF Sport Cub comes with an AR636, but that one can be programmed.
Good to know. I was looking into a Sukhoi that is for sale. What does the lack of programming actually restrict?

thx

bob
Old Jul 20, 2015, 08:04 PM
Joined May 2011
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Good to know. I was looking into a Sukhoi that is for sale. What does the lack of programming actually restrict?

thx

bob

Just means it won't work right in any plane but the Sukhoi, because you can't change the settings.
A friend of mine has the Sukhoi.
He crashed it & the AR636 RX must have got damaged (the control surfaces are very erratic now).
He is putting a regular RX in it before he flys it again.
Note: the crash was all his fault (nothing to do with the plane).
Old Jul 20, 2015, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by flightengr
Joined Mar 2013
790 Posts
The Sukhoi has a special version of the AR636 that has SAFE (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) features enabled. However, it's not the same set of SAFE features that's aimed at beginners like the Apprentice S or Corsair S. Instead, the Sukhoi's SAFE is engineered for intermediate pilots to learn how to do 3-D stunt maneuvers.

None of the SAFE receivers are programmable. The ones that are based on the AR636 are special versions of it that don't get along with the AR636 programming software. At best, you'll disable the SAFE, and at worst, you'll destroy the receiver if you mess with it.
flightengr is offline Find More Posts by flightengr
Old Jul 20, 2015, 09:45 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
The Sukhoi has a special version of the AR636 that has SAFE (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) features enabled. However, it's not the same set of SAFE features that's aimed at beginners like the Apprentice S or Corsair S. Instead, the Sukhoi's SAFE is engineered for intermediate pilots to learn how to do 3-D stunt maneuvers.

None of the SAFE receivers are programmable. The ones that are based on the AR636 are special versions of it that don't get along with the AR636 programming software. At best, you'll disable the SAFE, and at worst, you'll destroy the receiver if you mess with it.
Thanks, flight

Will the 636 in the Sukhoi do the "panic" (level out) mode?

And sorry to digress but is the Sukhoi harder to fly the the Artizan? I have an Artizan and coming from Foamies found the landing speed a little hot for my old brain

bob
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2011
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, flight

And sorry to digress but is the Sukhoi harder to fly the the Artizan? I have an Artizan and coming from Foamies found the landing speed a little hot for my old brain

bob

I didn't find the Sukhoi hard to fly. but it doesn't take off or land as easy as the Artizan, but then, IMO, few RC planes do.
The Sukhoi is better looking & i love the color.
As far as fun to fly, i prefer the Artizan.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by flightengr
Joined Mar 2013
790 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, flight

Yes, it does have the panic button feature.

One of the three flight modes - Stagility Mode - will also self-level if the sticks are centered, but it has no limits on pitch and roll angles. So it's like changing from Beginner Mode to Experienced Mode automatically as soon as you give control input.
flightengr is offline Find More Posts by flightengr
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by tourist_603
Joined Dec 2007
215 Posts
Elevator servo replacement

I have an acting up elevator servo. Any thoughts on a drop in replacement other than the OEM PKZ 1081?
tourist_603 is online now Find More Posts by tourist_603