Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Oct 13, 2014, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by CrazyNorman
Joined May 2013
3 Posts
Discussion
Monokote Question

Hi All,

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong sub-forum. Please let me know if so and I will remove this post.

I'm putting together a Tower Hobbies Kaos 40 over the winter. It's the ARF, but I'm going to really take my time with everything. I'm rebuilding the engine, experimenting with some electronics, etc etc.

A few guys at the field have a Kaos 40, and I wanted to make mine look different with a custom color scheme. I figured given I have all winter, I'll strip the monokote off and learn how to apply it myself.

One thing that really confuses me is how you properly make a multi-color pattern with accurate shapes. I love the blue plane in this thread and the red yellow blue one ain't too shabby either. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...lery&t=1869463

How do you make such accurate curves and patterns though (like on the blue plane)? I was under the impression that monokote shrinks when applied, and I feel like the shrinking would throw it off. If you cut out the pattern you want, won't it shrink and end up smaller or even mis-aligned?

Also, for a design like that, would you cover the entire plane in the base color (the whitesh one), and then place the blue sections over that, or would you try not to have very much overlap?

One final thing, I'm considering running some matching EL wire along my wing and other sections of the aircraft. I'm concerned with it introducing drag/affecting flight characteristics though. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for reading my post, all advice is appreciated!
CrazyNorman is offline Find More Posts by CrazyNorman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by flyboycpa
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
138 Posts
There are different ways, but normally those pretty and complex schemes are done with pre-cut patterns. For sake of simplicity let's say it's a white wing with red and blue designs. First, cover the area in white Monokote (yuk…go with Ultracote)…but I digress. Then, take your previously-cut red [or blue] piece and, using a water/dish soap mix, wet the white area and place the red pattern on it [don't forget to remove the backing]. The water/dishsoap solution allows you to properly move the trim piece around to get proper placement AND it's much easier to get all the air bubbles out than if you do it dry. Then squeegee out the air/soapy water. Let dry thoroughly.

Using your Monokote iron on a low (225ish) setting, go over the top of the red trim to activate the adhesive. You don't want the iron so hot that it shrinks the covering, only hot enough to activate the adhesive.

Bingo, done!
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
Old Oct 13, 2014, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by mudcan
Joined Apr 2011
202 Posts
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong/

scroll thru the page and click on the page you want. lots of tricks and tips.
mudcan is offline Find More Posts by mudcan
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by Crowfly
United States, MO, Belton
Joined Oct 2004
1,532 Posts
I quit Buying monocoat a long time a go. Ultracoat is just too much easier to work with. To keep out bubbles a woodpecker comes in handy.
http://www.advantagehobby.com/44296/TOPTOPR2190/
Both monocoat and ultracoat shrink if you get the heat too high.
One thing that does work very well is this trim solvent brew,but it only works with monocoat. You can use it to glue monocoat on top of Ultracoat. But not the other way around. it won't activate ultracoat glue. But you can just lay your trim down,squeegee it out and let it dry. It works very well.
Crowfly is online now Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by Crowfly
United States, MO, Belton
Joined Oct 2004
1,532 Posts
PS,this is the trim solvent.
http://www.advantagehobby.com/41061/TOPTOPR6020/
I could never make this crap work,until I found that brew recipe I found somewhere on the internet.
Crowfly is online now Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
4,060 Posts
Yep... what he said. The shapes, curves, lines can be as complex as one can cut. Using stencils of different shapes, rulers, etc.. to get the desired shape/graphic. Someone's got to cut it... might as well be you/me/etc..

I like cutting on a piece of glass I have on my work-surface/desk, which I had cut specifically for cutting film. I use the "windex" technique usually for slightly adhering the film to the glass... to make the film tack to the glass.. for very nice cuts... and I use a touch to lay the graphic on the base covering.... then just as flyboy said... an iron set at just the temp that will adhere the graphic, without shrinking it .... does the trick.. with maybe a touch of trim-solv on the edges to seal it.

I love 2 tone schemes with some graphics thrown it.... very easy and looks crazy cool. Keep reading and studying.... and buy some film covering in bulk... it takes a bit to learn.. and is very doable.. but there is a bit of a learning curve.

Your curves and shapes will only be as accurate as you take time to make them... and as you take time to learn how. The biggest curve is allowing mistakes..

A first step is learning to perfect a base covering job... and finding what can be done with the iron at different temps.. as some areas can and should be done with low temp setting.... and other areas really need the coals put to it... I've found the optimum settings can vary color to color. Just experiment... you'll do fine.

PS... Apparently you'll have to see what brand works well for you.. Theres some Ultrakote fans.... and there's Monokote fans... I'll take either brand... and either one is decent. I have many rolls of both brands.. I do have my preference... but I can do an equally decent job with any of them. No doubt about it. I've got pics of my work with both...
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by kbozarth
Joined Jun 2008
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowfly View Post
To keep out bubbles a woodpecker comes in handy..........

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Please don't destroy a beautiful plane with a woodpecker!!!!!!

Kurt
kbozarth is offline Find More Posts by kbozarth
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by capt kurt
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
Joined Dec 2012
405 Posts
Hi, alot of fliers I know cover there entire plane with one color of Ultracoat and then spray paint the fancy cut outs. It really looks nice and you can't tell it's not a different color of Ultracoat!...
capt kurt is offline Find More Posts by capt kurt
Old Oct 14, 2014, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by CrazyNorman
Joined May 2013
3 Posts
Thanks for all the advice and info guys! Looking into Ultracote now, my grampa had told me he used monokote and it stuck in my head, so I never thought to look into alternatives.

I'm going to order a couple of rolls and start playing with it on a piece of wood to get the hang of it before messing with my plane.
CrazyNorman is offline Find More Posts by CrazyNorman
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by tailskid2
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
4,743 Posts
Wasn't there a thread about making flag patterns on models....that guy was fantastic!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ 112" Beaver
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:28 AM
Joined Mar 2004
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Wasn't there a thread about making flag patterns on models...
Not sure if this is what you're referring too.... but I did a flag-scheme a little while ago... I grabbed the concept from an RCU thread over 10yrs ago... and recently did a thread here on my Dazzler... Heres a pic.. theres also a few more down in my blog somewhere.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
4,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Not sure if this is what you're referring too.... but I did a flag-scheme a little while ago... I grabbed the concept from an RCU thread over 10yrs ago... and recently did a thread here on my Dazzler... Heres a pic.. theres also a few more down in my blog somewhere.
Maybe you can use a heat gun to have more tension?
Taurus Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Oct 15, 2014, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by tailskid2
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
4,743 Posts
THAT is one beautiful covering job there DGrant!!!!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ 112" Beaver
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:18 PM
Joined Mar 2004
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus Flyer View Post
Maybe you can use a heat gun to have more tension?
I know.... straighten it out right?..

This started with a base white.. as someone stated already to start with a base. In this case the whole top is base-white.. bottom is trans.blue.. With a massive graphic/effect, establishing the base is essential(graphics 101).

There's also the 2-tone style.. which I used on a very recently completed Butterfly... 2 colors can be intwined/balanced in many different configurations..

All this is hand-cut, off the roll Monokote. I really like the stuff.. as I do Ultra.. each has its own character.. I've been fortunate to come out with some decent stuff over the years.. It takes time to learn.. then what you learn is it just simply takes time to practice.. experiment.. and each one is different.. cool thing is.. I don't even know how each one will turn out..

Hence I give you the 2-tone Butterfly... all hand-cut, including 2-tone striping.. I really like film covering.. any brand.

Once one gets the work surface and materials/tools to work with it.. You can be your own graphic artist!!!

The sky's the limit.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by hogflyer
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,898 Posts
This is MonoKote, not Ultracote. I do use both.

The wings and stab have one piece each side upper and lower - 4 pcs total, running from the root to the tips. I didn't cheat and do the tips separate. It takes time to get a good covering over compound curves but it is doable without wrinkle. The wing took close to 14 hours to get the yellow stretched correctly - most of the time on the tips and outer wing bays, and the red striped put on. I figure it took over 25 hours and 4 rolls of MonoKote to cover this Hog.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer