HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:29 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Wattage AT-6 Texan Waiting for Maiden (Pics)

It is a great looking plane.

Power is a Typhoon 6/20
8x3.8 SF prop
Apogee 2000mAh 3s2p
Phx 25 esc

AUW 19 oz.

I hope she files as good as she looks!
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:36 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Really fine looking aircraft!! I'm considering attempting one of these myself. Best of luck in the maiden, let us all know how it goes.
J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagzilla
Really fine looking aircraft!! I'm considering attempting one of these myself. Best of luck in the maiden, let us all know how it goes.
J
Thanks!

I think it should fly fine. It has a wing loading of 14.2 oz.

Depending on how it flies, I might put some retracts in it.

-Todd
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:52 PM
Dallas Meacham, Texas, United States
Joined Apr 2002
561 Posts
Todd
Beautiful airplane. I don't know anything abought your motor but the pitch speed sounds a little slow for a warbird ? Maybe not ? Anyway great looking AT-6 ! Johnathan

Here is some test data your millage may vary
http://www.airmedia.se/Typhoon-6-20.htm
johnathan is offline Find More Posts by johnathan
Last edited by johnathan; Mar 13, 2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:59 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Does it have a plastic fuse like some of the other wattage models? Whatever it is made of it looks really good and surprisingly light being a wattage.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:43 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathan
Todd
Beautiful airplane. I don't know anything abought your motor but the pitch speed sounds a little slow for a warbird ? Maybe not ? Anyway great looking AT-6 ! Johnathan

Here is some test data your millage may vary
http://www.airmedia.se/Typhoon-6-20.htm
Thanks Johnathan.

The 8x3.8 prop was listed as the "ideal" prop for this motor on the website where I bought it.

MotoCalc said it should deliver 16.3 oz of thrust at 11.9amps with a top speed of 38mph and that sounded good to me.

Thinking of your comment, I played around with MotoCalc and found that a 7x4 prop should give 14.8 oz of thrust at 10.5 amps with a top speed of 43mph.

I dabble with this stuff and usually get decent results though probably not optimal. I will try the 7x4.

Here is a strange question: With a large, round cowl on a plane like this, only about 3/4" of the prop sticks out beyond the cowl. So isn't most of the thrust of the prop just being wasted on the cowl when only a small portion of the prop is actually moving air past the fusalage?

-Todd
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:58 AM
Dallas Meacham, Texas, United States
Joined Apr 2002
561 Posts
As funny as it may sound I think most of the thrust is made 3/4 out on the end of the prop. I am not saying that the 8x3.8 wont fly it. Start with that and you may settle with a 7x6 or 7x5 ? Your battery will deliver more than enough amperage.

Also one of the greastest tools I have is my Astro super whatt meter.No more guessing and you can optimize your set up. There are several brands that do the same thing .

This guy bench tested all of the motors on his site. Much better info than any calc program http://www.flyingmodels.org/index_en.htm. Good luck and happy flying ! Johanathan
johnathan is offline Find More Posts by johnathan
Old Jan 01, 2006, 11:48 AM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
Your CG

Todd:

I'm going to be trying my hand at one of these. Could you answer a question regarding the CG, please? Is the CG measured back from the "shoulder" that represents the wheel wells (which is where the wing LE meets the fuselage), or at the LE proper, just outside of the wheel well? I've measured 2 1/2" from the shoulder, and the plane is tail heavy. Also, it looks like that point is forward of the "30%" rule for guessing CG's, since the LE is slanted back. I'm using a Mega motor and a lipo, so there is less weight forward than a Cobalt and Nimh's, but it's still peculiar...thanks in advance!
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Last edited by Robert Stinson; Jan 01, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2006, 12:23 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Robert,

I measured mine from the leading edge proper, just outside the wheel well.

Good luck!
-Todd
Old Jan 01, 2006, 01:25 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
Whew! I'm getting contradictory info! Todd, just to make double-alpha sure, you're saying you measured 2 1/2" back from the real leading edge? This would put it almost right on the second from the front drawn panel line on the wing.

I received a private message from someone who measured from the wheel well, hence my confusion. His CG would put it in between th efirst and second panel lines.

I remember the grief people were having with some of the GWS warbird official CG's, which were a good 1/2 inch too far back, which is why I'm being so cautious.
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson