Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 25, 2014, 06:07 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Sep 2011
616 Posts
New Product
hobbyking chuck gliders (micro jet conversion)

saw these lil beauties on hk the last time i had an order going and thought "what the heck" so i got all three. the f18 turned out to be to small and flimsy to convert to rc but the f16 and f22 look the goods!

have already converted the f16 and had the maiden today. boy what a little rocket.

i havent weighed it yet but it feels around the 150g range.

the 16 is sporting the following:

motor; 2300kv 20g hk outrunner with 4.5x4.5
esc; hk 10a
servo: x2 hk turnigy 3.7g
lipo; 950mah 2s turnigy nano-tech

it is maybe a little heavy for her size but has the power to make you forget about it.

im hoping the apparent increase in wing area of the 22 will make it able to float around a bit more than the 16 but in any case it is a hell of a lot of fun!

here are the pics.

hoping to have the 22 done by the end of this week

chambo88 is offline Find More Posts by chambo88
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2014, 01:01 AM
Joined May 2010
122 Posts
That's a very nice build! The looks like it fits perfectly in the exhaust. Any torque roll effect? I tried building a mini mirage with a similar size motor and prop. The plane was about the same size also and I couldn't get it to fly due to torque roll.
closeflyby is offline Find More Posts by closeflyby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gws a-4 edf
Old May 27, 2014, 10:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
616 Posts
thanks, yeah there is quite a fair bit of torque roll at takeoff however with a decent chuck and power reduced to half, its manageable. Once the speed increases you can up it then its fine..
Old May 27, 2014, 10:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
616 Posts
here are the pics of the f22 I finished yesterday. has the same running gear as the f16. cg of the f22 is 35mm aft of the le at wing root.
Last edited by chambo88; May 29, 2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:24 AM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
832 Posts
KOOL , The f16 looks very similar to the Cracker Barrel jet I bought a couple of years ago that I haven't started .
Great ideas ...this post made me dig mine out, I like what you did my friend !

I was thinking of doing a flying stab on the F16 , 2 small servos for ailerons, and a little screamer motor I have somewhere, any comments ?

thanks for sharing....Geoff
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old May 29, 2014, 06:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilotx1 View Post
KOOL , The f16 looks very similar to the Cracker Barrel jet I bought a couple of years ago that I haven't started .
Great ideas ...this post made me dig mine out, I like what you did my friend !

I was thinking of doing a flying stab on the F16 , 2 small servos for ailerons, and a little screamer motor I have somewhere, any comments ?

thanks for sharing....Geoff
if the f-16 your going to build is the same size as this then you wana keep the number of servos to a minimum. weight is super critical. flying stabs will be a great idea as long as you can keep the design very light. also i think you only need 1 servo for the ailerons unless you are planing on having flaps. would like to see som pics when your done
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:42 PM
RobbeUK & Midland Helicopters
United Kingdom, Rushden
Joined Dec 2005
113 Posts
Hey.

Good work, myself and a friend brought a couple to chuck around but had an idea to try and RC them. Glad you've done it first.

Do you have any flying videos?

Ian
coolice is offline Find More Posts by coolice
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:07 AM
Joined Sep 2011
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolice View Post
Hey.

Good work, myself and a friend brought a couple to chuck around but had an idea to try and RC them. Glad you've done it first.

Do you have any flying videos?

Ian
hi ian,

I am hoping to have some flying videos up over the next few days..
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:30 AM
Joined Sep 2011
616 Posts
righto well my parts arrived yesterday but due to the fact i had to fly a worker with a suspected broken collar bone into town i didnt get a chance to install the parts..

this was not the case this afternoon! installed the motor and esc and went out for the maiden.

what i initially believed to be tail heavy CG turned out to be too much control over the elevators. once we threw in some expo i gave it another chuck and she was off. plenty of power with a 4x3 on the 2s 300mah. rolls and loops are easy. she will also fly very very slow being the feather weight she is. max speed is a respectable 70-75kph.

COG is between 10mm and 13mm aft of Leading Edge at the wing-root where the LE meets the front splitter.

i am currently flying mine at 13mm for aerobatic purposes

all i can say is i am totally blown away by the performance of this little beauty!

only thing i would say to those wanting to build one of these.. make sure your control surfaces dont have any play in them, make sure the push rods are tight on the control horn. otherwise the neutral point will be off centered during the flights.

good luck!

watch this space for the flight video!!

thread for f18 build.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195734
Last edited by chambo88; Jul 08, 2014 at 06:01 AM.